Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lorna Byrne - False Prophet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 louthchick

.........Have you read Lorna Byrnes book yet? I think you should and she mentions God a lot, her faith seems quite strong, the Devil is also mentioned and how he can work. She doesnt come accross as pushy regarding her gift. She lets you take it or leave it. Its best to read her book before casting judgement. I did and I really liked it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

wasnt this an old thread from months ago? how come its back again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 louthchick

..........I'm a newbie. I came accross it and having recently read the book; I threw my 2c in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

louthchick wrote: »
    .........Have you read Lorna Byrnes book yet? I think you should and she mentions God a lot, her faith seems quite strong, the Devil is also mentioned and how he can work. She doesnt come accross as pushy regarding her gift. She lets you take it or leave it. Its best to read her book before casting judgement. I did and I really liked it. ;)

I'm always wary of a book that makes the shelves of the world. ( you might not get what I mean )

I'm in no position to cast judgment, I usually leave that to the church, has the church mentioned anything about it? has it been looked at by theologians and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

louthchick wrote: »

Hello Louthchick, the problem I see with her message is that if she is indeed talking with angels (and I'm skeptical of her claim), I find it very strange indeed that they are not communicating the need for sinners to repent and turn to God for forgiveness. Angels are God's messengers and there's no way they're going to ignore Jesus if they're actually from God! It pure new-age stuff. Also you should read her newsletters. They're just so ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RoboBobo5698

Wow! The garbage is flying thick and heavy here! The fact that Lorna Byrne is NOT pushing some kind of fictional hell and threatening chastisements and insisting that Jesus abosolutely MUST be believed in by EVERYONE is an indication to me that she actually MIGHT be the real deal.

Wake up people! The word of God? Give me a break. If anyone here thinks the Bible is inerrant, perfectly preserved, and infallible...don't be afraid to find out for yourself!

Hell does not exist so there's no need to be worried about it...you can prove this fact to yourself if you will do a little honest research and then accept what you find.

The Christian God is an alleged being that is the most awesome failure known to mankind:

1-The creator of the cosmos who is supposedly omnipotent and omnipresent somehow didn't realize the big "fall" was going to happen!

2-The Jews do not accept "hell" because they say it is not in their writings, yet THEIR SAME writings make up most of the Christian Bible! So, where did it come from then?

3-The creator of the cosmos didn't know that Eve was going to sin.

4-The creator of the cosmos found it necessary to burn forever the vast majority of his "perfect" creation in "hell"...which doesn't even exist.

It just amazes me how absolutely ignorant Christians and Catholics are on the subject of the Bible. Do any of you know how to read and research for yourself? Or do you just believe what you are told to believe without any investigation to determine if any of what you believe is actually true or not?

This so called omnipotent and omnipresent creator of the entire cosmos decided to wait for thousands of years to reveal the existence of hell?!?

Sheol was a Jewish place where ALL the deceased went, not just the good ones, and not just the bad ones...so how did Sheol ever end up becoming "hell"? Go ahead and research for yourself, you'll see. How did "hades" end up being hell? How did Gehenna end up being hell?

How did a pagan place end up in the Bible?!?

I'm sorry for you because I know that the facts you would discover with some research will ruin your beliefs about "hell" and your theology will evaporate in front of your eyes, and the Catholics' beloved apparitions will suddenly look...well...not so divine anymore.

It would be so wonderful if people would actually take the time to discover facts for themselves instead of perpetuating nonsense over and over and over and over...

Don't agree with me? Then research it all for yourself and see what you find? Go ahead, I dare you to do so...can you accept what you will find?

Lorna Byrne just might be the real thing...and an indication of that is that she's not pushing belief in Jesus on everybody, she's not stating the "infallibility" of the Catholic church and the pope...she makes more sense than any Christian or Catholic or church has ever made yet. Let's hope she doesn't cave in to the pressure that religious zealots, who believe in myths, are going to put on her...and the mess they are going to dump all over her.

" I too noticed the lack of the name Jesus, and no talk of sin, salvation, Second Coming etc."

-It's because there is not going to be any second coming...neither is there any need for salvation because the "God" that needs a sacrifice OF himself and TO himself in order to be able to forgive somebody does not exist...it is a man made myth. The creator of the cosmos needs a sacrifice to forgive someone? What did he do before he sacrificed his son to himself?

-If Jesus is a God...why on earth would a God need so much human adulation and adoration? The creator of the cosmos needs YOUR praise for some unknown reason?!? This mythical god that Catholics and Christians sing praises to while they're family members burn in eternal torture is a mysterious creature...certainly a creature to despise not worship...it really says a lot about humanity for having accept such a revolting "god" so willingly.

-If this (mythical) god sacrificed his son to himself, then he would be the worst child abuser in history. Finally, if Jesus had to die to save you all from eternal torture in hell (another myth), then why isn't Jesus being tortured forever in hell right now, himself? For this myth to be true, that's where he would have to be...taking your place there.

-Do any of you actually read the bible? THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH...did you notice it never said THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH + ETERNAL TORTURE? Ask yourself why, and then do the research. I think you'll find the Catholic church might have some questions to answer after you do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Breathe slowly and count to 10. Now read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

Wow! The garbage is flying thick and heavy here! The fact that Lorna Byrne is NOT pushing some kind of fictional hell and threatening chastisements and insisting that Jesus abosolutely MUST be believed in by EVERYONE is an indication to me that she actually MIGHT be the real deal.

Lorna Byrne just might be the real thing...and an indication of that is that she's not pushing belief in Jesus on everybody, she's not stating the "infallibility" of the Catholic church and the pope...she makes more sense than any Christian or Catholic or church has ever made yet. Let's hope she doesn't cave in to the pressure that religious zealots, who believe in myths, are going to put on her...and the mess they are going to dump all over her.
    So, why exactly might Lorna Byrne be "the real thing" again?
    Basically, because she is a spiritualist and doesn't speak from the Bible, she is speaking the truth? I guess there are a lot of "real deal" best-selling authors, psychics, cult leaders, etc, out there who might impress you.

I know who you would find to be THE most "real" and convincing: Satan. He'll tell you all you want to hear, my friend.

Remember that the truth is not always the thing that sounds the most appealing to you.

And the "god" of damnation seems to impress you a lot...it says a lot doesn't it?

No worry though, hell does not exist...Jesus isn't there "paying" for your sins (which he would have to be if he was a sacrifice to save you from hell).

In your next post, go to the Old Testament and give some rational logical thought to all the killing your "God" ordered....such as dashing babies to pieces against rocks...seems even God doesn't take his commandments seriously.

The "truth" of the Bible? With all of the killing, fear, uncertainty, damnation, intimidation and threatening in that "truthful" book...and with a "God" like the Catholic/Protestant Christian God on the loose...there is no need for any devil.

Do the research, find out for yourself....

• Advertisement

Oh, and please remember also, that simply because you believe a revolting God exists, does not mean that revolting God actually does exist simply because you believe it.

If Satan exists, perhaps it is he who relishes in your desire to "believe" the killing in the Bible is justified? Perhaps it is he who delights in your awesome fear of a killing and damning God?

If you just looked for yourself, with an open mind, you would discover many very interesting things...except they will eliminate many illusions and will be hard to accept.

-Love, from me, a former Catholic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Breathe slowly and count to 10. Now read the charter.

I agree. You'd think that somebody who prides himself so much on doing research would have at least read the charter before throwing all his toys out of his pram.

Hey Robo. News flash. We communicate in here. That is a system where two or more people give their view and ask for replies. We don't tell everyone that they are wrong and only we are right. Now kindly go back to where you came from and do some research on the subject of manners.

Oh, and please remember also, that simply because you believe a revolting God exists, does not mean that revolting God actually does exist simply because you believe it.

If Satan exists, perhaps it is he who relishes in your desire to "believe" the killing in the Bible is justified? Perhaps it is he who delights in your awesome fear of a killing and damning God?

If you just looked for yourself, with an open mind, you would discover many very interesting things...except they will eliminate many illusions and will be hard to accept.

-Love, from me, a former Catholic
    What exactly DO you believe? I'm open to new ideas. Let's hear them. (though this is OT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

What exactly DO you believe? I'm open to new ideas. Let's hear them. (though this is OT)

Robobobo has now left the building, so can't reply to your post.

Since he's obviously too busy to read the Charter at the moment I've given him three weeks to get round to it.

PDN wrote: »
    Robobobo has now left the building, so can't reply to your post.

Since he's obviously too busy to read the Charter at the moment I've given him three weeks to get round to it.
    That's even better. I didn't expect any constructive dialogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paddynopower

Noel .....let me get this right.... You haven't read her book but your casting the first stone of judgement towards her albeit in a veiled question and... You believe she may well be talking to angels of the dark side but not of the good?
    And to you others... Read the book! Then come and give is your deep and meaningful debate/ judgement

Noel .....let me get this right.... You haven't read her book but your casting the first stone of judgement towards her albeit in a veiled question and... You believe she may well be talking to angels of the dark side but not of the good?
    And to you others... Read the book! Then come and give is your deep and meaningful debate/ judgement
    You're right, I haven't read her book but I have read her newsletters and they aren't compatible with the Christian faith. I believe she is a false "prophet" and just one of many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I haven't read Mein Kampf - but that doesn't stop me from forming an opinion about Adolf Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paddynopower

Well I presume you made your decision on hitler based on all of the obvious facts at hand, if you had taken only bits of history and comments from other people you could have mistaken hitler as one of the greatest leaders of all time.
    Noel... I'm always amazed at how judgemental and negative 'fellow christians' can be towards other human beings, lorna byrne spreads nothing but love and peace in any interview or article I have read from her. I could be wrong here but isn't a false prophet supposed to prophetise? She doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

Well I presume you made your decision on hitler based on all of the obvious facts at hand, if you had taken only bits of history and comments from other people you could have mistaken hitler as one of the greatest leaders of all time.
    Noel... I'm always amazed at how judgemental and negative 'fellow christians' can be towards other human beings, lorna byrne spreads nothing but love and peace in any interview or article I have read from her. I could be wrong here but isn't a false prophet supposed to prophetise? She doesn't

Mahatma Gandhi spread Love and Peace - it didnt make him a Christian. For a prophet to be of God, there must be nothing in their teaching contrary to the Bible, and they should be clearly directing people to Jesus - this is not the case with this lady

• Advertisement

It's pretty simple. Lies lead souls astray and towards peril and the truth to eternal life. That's why we call Jesus the Good Shepherd, He keeps us safe from the "wolves". I'm sure Lorna means well but she's preaching a false "gospel". I used to be into New Age/ easter mysticism until by the grace of God, I saw the error of my ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nualahyland

Ukonline you need to be careful stating words so strongly like that 'she was retarted' as they might come back to haunt you.
    Why would she make all this up and be faced with such ridicule. Delve deeper into her books and dont just throw insults around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello,

has anyone heard of Lorna Byrne who claims to be able to talk with God and the angels?

She appeared on the Late-late Show last Friday and her website is at http://www.lornabyrne.com

Personally I very skeptical of her claims and if she is indeed communicating with angels, they are probably of the fallen variety.

She has in subtle ways said that it doesn't matter to God which religion we practice and she never mentions Jesus.

From what I've seen of her writings and videos, she will lead souls away from Christ.
    EDIT: http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20081107.html (Link for video).
    yes, but i dont think nutter souls actually count

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nualahyland

what do you mean by nutter souls, have you read her books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Psalm 91 v11-12 :-

'For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.'

I would suggest that Lorna Byrne is only re-stating what is already in the scriptures. Loads of references to angels in the bible if one Google's 'bible angels'. They seem to be forgotten about - maybe a bit of public relations on their behalf is no great harm !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Psalm 91 v11-12 :-

'For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.'

I would suggest that Lorna Byrne is only re-stating what is already in the scriptures. Loads of references to angels in the bible if one Google's 'bible angels'. They seem to be forgotten about - maybe a bit of public relations on their behalf is no great harm !!! :)
    But a false testimony to them is harmful:
    Colossians 2:18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

A true prophet speaks only according to the Word of God. All the rest may use bits of it correctly, but their main thrust will contradict it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

wolfsbane wrote: »
    But a false testimony to them is harmful:
    Colossians 2:18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

A true prophet speaks only according to the Word of God. All the rest may use bits of it correctly, but their main thrust will contradict it.

That's if it is a false testimony - who can say ? From what I've heard in her interviews and have read about her subsequently, I don't think Lorna Byrne advocates the worship of angels, or is claiming to be a prophet. We have been told angels exist in the Bible. If they appeared to certain people thousands of years ago then why not in 2010 ? Far from being a threat to Christianity, if true, these accounts can help a non believer to take more seriously the claims made by Christianity. Clearly if Lorna Byrne's claims are true, then this for Christians should fit in neatly with their faith of another plane of existence, to which we are all bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

That's if it is a false testimony - who can say ? From what I've heard in her interviews and have read about her subsequently, I don't think Lorna Byrne advocates the worship of angels, or is claiming to be a prophet. We have been told angels exist in the Bible. If they appeared to certain people thousands of years ago then why not in 2010 ? Far from being a threat to Christianity, if true, these accounts can help a non believer to take more seriously the claims made by Christianity. Clearly if Lorna Byrne's claims are true, then this for Christians should fit in neatly with their faith of another plane of existence, to which we are all bound.

I agree with much of what you say. I simply believe in it but I just had a glance at the home page of her official website and do not see any reference to Catholicism or the Church in general. Most mystics such as those from Medugorje and Garabandal are always with the church and attacked endlessly which is often the mark of a true mystic. They are deeply commited in all they do to promote the Church and spread the Gospel. They promote the prayer of the rosary, confession and practice of the faith as a whole whilst using prayers given to them but also the prayers of the Church etc.

Those who are praised by the media and the surrounding world are often the false prophets. Sunday times bestseller? Sorry but it looks very new age and of an unreligious/Catholic nature.

I'm certainly not one to judge but will quietly go my way and pray for Lorna this time round. I hope you accept that my reply is not in any way shape or form designed to be mean towards her or denounce her.

Has the Church ever in any way made a statement in all her years of seeing angels? does she have a spiritual director ( priest ) etc? The Mark of a true mystic is one who has a desire to get with a spiritual director or move with the church. Those are the Popes words in days just gone by.

God bless

Onesimus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jayana

Dear Pierre,

I am currently living in Switzerland and very very very interested to meet Lorna Byrne. This is a big period of changes for me and it's my dream to go see her.
    Could you kindly give me a hint I could do it? I don't have her phone number nor address.
    Is she accepting visitors? Would it help if I come to Dublin for e.g. 1 week and try to find her there? In the book I read she lives in Johnstown... (or sth like that).
    Thank you, you can use this email address ...[snip]
    PierreN14 wrote: »
    hello,

Im 31 yrs old and have been living in a Benedictine monastery in north london since September 2006.

I first met Lorna Byrne in March 2006. I met her twice in that month and havent met her since.

I was talking to my friend in Cork regarding some big decisions I needed to make. She suggested going to meet her friend, Lorna. Needless to say I was sceptical. I went anyway.

Upon arrival at her house, I met a small, warm and sincere person. We sat down and I told her of my sense of being called to the church but not knowing where to go from there. To cut a long story short, she gave me a great big hand in finding my calling. Everything she said has come true. Okay, maybe shes just psychic! But she has directed me to the church, talked so much of Jesus's love for me and encouraged me that the church is good and strong.

though i did give her a little, she never asked for money. I sat with her for hours. I am a very sceptical person but she is the genuine article.

When she talks of us becoming the full person we are meant to be, she means a holy person, in union with the Trinity through Christ, Wholly alive.

My words are accountable to God, whom I love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

Either a schizoid or someone trying to make a quick buck.

You mean schizophrenic?

"...As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
    • Appearance or mood that shows no emotion (flat affect)
    • Bizarre movements that show less of a reaction to the environment (catatonic behavior)
    • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
    • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)..."
    From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001925/

Advertisement