Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jet Programme

• 22-03-2015 5:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anybody here has actually gone on the Jet programme or thinking about it. Even on it right now. I've been thinking about doing it for a while now and I've a friend with some good contacts who can help me out. I know there are testimonials on the site and all that but I'd prefer to hear from people here and of their experiences. Anything at all would be great.

Only a handful of people go every year so chances are there isn't anyone on here with experience of it but thought I'd check anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Lenmeister wrote: »
    I've a friend with some good contacts who can help me out.
    Forget the friend who has contacts.
    Anything at all would be great.

Follow the "strict" guide lines set out here to the letter for a chance placement in 2016
    http://www.ie.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/00_000049.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

A friend of mine had an interview for it this year so is awaiting results. I'll report back on how he got on and the process.

Personally I wouldn't really recommend the JET programme... simply because they make you jump so many hoops to get a job that pays the same amount as any other company.
    Having said that, if you're set on being an ALT they're probably your best option (without experience). Do you have experience? Or a certification for teaching English? Because if you do there are much better options.

Also I'd like to add that being a JET has a certain social stigma among the Gaijin community. Personally, I don't care if someone is a JET, but I do have a negative impression of them. From what I've seen, JETs are really rude. Not only towards Japanese people, but also to other Gaijin working here (there's a bit of an inferiority complex among them, it seems). They also exist more or less solely in a 'Gaijin Bubble' and don't actually know how to function on their own when/if they decide to leave the programme.

TLDR; there are other (sometimes better) options

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Personally I wouldn't really recommend the JET programme... simply because they make you jump so many hoops to get a job that pays the same amount as any other company.

The standards for entry to the JET Programme are high. That is the way it should be. From what I have seen, getting a place through some of the other companies is far too easy, the caliber of candidate is lower than it should be, and the schools are often disappointed. In my experience JET ALTs are much better than ALTs hired through other companies. There is a financial element here, it is more expensive to hire an ALT through JET, so some Boards of Education or city halls hire ALTs from a cheaper programme. I have heard of many cases where a BoE switched from JET to save money only to switch back later to have a better quality ALT.

Also I'd like to add that being a JET has a certain social stigma among the Gaijin community. Personally, I don't care if someone is a JET, but I do have a negative impression of them. From what I've seen, JETs are really rude. Not only towards Japanese people, but also to other Gaijin working here (there's a bit of an inferiority complex among them, it seems). They also exist more or less solely in a 'Gaijin Bubble' and don't actually know how to function on their own when/if they decide to leave the programme.

This is a ridiculous comment. In just a couple of lines you are stereotyping over 4000 people (estimate of the current number, not to mention past participants) who are JETs. From what I have seen, most JETs are not really rude, they are really respectful. They work hard, engage in their community and learn about Japanese culture and language, meet new people and try new things.

Now, I wouldn't say every single JET is an angel. But there are rude people in every job in every country. I would suggest that there are no more "rude JETs" than there are in any of the other English teaching programmes/companies or foreign people in Japan who aren't teaching English. To suggest that JETs are rude is just a bit silly. If anything I would say that JETs are more respectful than the other English teachers, the standard for entry is higher and JETs are strongly advised from the start, from multiple angles, that they are representing not only themselves but their country and foreign culture in Japan.

I also haven't noted an inferiority complex, I don't know why you would suggest that.

As for functioning in a bubble, again this is probably the same for any circle of foreign people in Japan. Again, since JETs are largely placed in countryside areas where it is difficult to impossible to function in a bubble, if anything they integrate more than other types of people in Japan. I would guess that the average JET integrates more than the average businessman/woman (or English teacher) in any of the large cities in Japan.

Well Joe, maybe my experience with JETs have just not been the best. The one friend I have that used to work as a JET complained that he didn't get to do anything or get any experience. He literally just stood in class and parroted phrases for the students to repeat, or read scripts. Perhaps that was just his particular experience, but that doesn't sound like 'high quality' to me.
    As for the calibre of person that they hire...the JET programme requires neither experience nor qualifications. I wonder how their standards are higher than companies?
    From what I've seen of JETs here in Saitama, they only gravitate towards other JETs. They hardly even speak to other foreigners, never mind Japanese people.

But my main point to the OP remains; there are so many other ways to get to Japan. Don't consider JET as your only option. There are plenty of decent companies around.

• Advertisement

The application is more stringent for JET than the other ALT companies / eikawa schools that I have heard of. This would suggest the JET hires are of a better standard.

You are judging JET programme participants on what you have seen in one prefecture, that is unfair not only to other JETs in Saitama but all the other JETs across Japan.

I agree that JET is not the only way to get a job in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I was wondering if anybody here has actually gone on the Jet programme or thinking about it. Even on it right now. I've been thinking about doing it for a while now and I've a friend with some good contacts who can help me out. I know there are testimonials on the site and all that but I'd prefer to hear from people here and of their experiences. Anything at all would be great.

Only a handful of people go every year so chances are there isn't anyone on here with experience of it but thought I'd check anyway.

There are a few former JET participants on boards who I'm sure would be happy to give advice if you had specific questions. As with most of things it really depends on what you are looking to gain from the experience. Maybe if you post a little about why you are interested in the programme and what you expect from it and Japan you might receive more helpful replies.
    shindig-jp wrote: »
    Forget the friend who has contacts.

Follow the "strict" guide lines set out here to the letter for a chance placement in 2016
    http://www.ie.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/00_000049.html

Excellent advice.
    just-joe wrote: »
    The application is more stringent for JET than the other ALT companies / eikawa schools that I have heard of. This would suggest the JET hires are of a better standard.

I think you'd need to have a very clear definition of this standard you mention for this comment to mean anything. The basic requirements for the JET Programme as an ALT are that you have a university degree and are a native English speaker. Personally I don't think these two requirements guarantee any sort of standard.

Like Joe said JET is a mixed bag. Good and bad, both make it to Japan, for better and worse. Personally speaking - only my opinion so not worth anything - I think some JETs are a bit precious about the programme. It's absolutely a privilege to be allowed into a community the way JETs are but sometimes some JETs think they are the special component of the mix and it can give off a rather negative impression.

As for the programme itself. As a former JET, I think it's a great concept with unlimited potential that has been pretty poorly implemented and terribly managed since its creation, but somehow - and I believe mostly down to the good JETs out there - has made an incredibly positive contribution to communities across Japan.

Tristram wrote: »
    I think you'd need to have a very clear definition of this standard you mention for this comment to mean anything. The basic requirements for the JET Programme as an ALT are that you have a university degree and are a native English speaker. Personally I don't think these two requirements guarantee any sort of standard.

Like Joe said JET is a mixed bag. Good and bad, both make it to Japan, for better and worse. Personally speaking - only my opinion so not worth anything - I think some JETs are a bit precious about the programme. It's absolutely a privilege to be allowed into a community the way JETs are but sometimes some JETs think they are the special component of the mix and it can give off a rather negative impression.

As for the programme itself. As a former JET, I think it's a great concept with unlimited potential that has been pretty poorly implemented and terribly managed since its creation, but somehow - and I believe mostly down to the good JETs out there - has made an incredibly positive contribution to communities across Japan.

Hey Tristram, yes a degree and native English speaker doesn't necessarily guarantee anything. But good to keep in mind having a degree is the only requirement for many jobs these days. The application/interview process makes the standard high.

The application is lengthy and must be of a high standard to reach interview. Two references are required, which should state specifically why the candidate is suitable for JET. The interview is also difficult and only suitable candidates can make it. (in theory, of course there are always anomalies - the same for any interview for any job). The interview panel consists of 3 people of different backgrounds.

This is in comparison to, from what I have heard, applying with your CV and then having a telephone interview to gain a place on Interac or some of the eikawa schools. I have met people who failed to get a place on JET but could get a place on some other programme.

I agree, some JETs can think they are special and have a high opinion of the programme and themselves. But I would say most are just there for an equal exchange - have a great experience, fun, learn about an interesting culture at the same time as getting paid; and in return try to work hard and give what they can to their job/community.

Some JETs also don't admit the faults of the programme. I am also an ex-JET and have seen these faults, but would agree again - JET has made and continues to make a great contribution to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

All the non-JET ALT positions that I know of had at least university degrees and interviews as requirements. Some had added requirements similar to JET and some had extra requirements on top of what JET requires. The only recruitment process I would consider delivers a better standard of ALT are those that require relevant qualifications and experience

I really don't think that it is accurate to say that the JET recruitment process delivers any kind of 'standard' of applicant. There'd have to be some kind of concrete notion of what is required of a JET ALT for a standard to even be established.

Had a great time over last Christmas with some of the Jets here http://www.saitamajetsfc.com/
    If anyone is lucky enough to be placed in Saitama on the JET program you're in for a "Hoot and lots of laughter " if you join their ladies or mens football club or just be a fan .. You get to travel Japan and meet JETs from around the English teaching world. Wonderfull people.

• Advertisement

You can go to any Hanko seal shop in Japan and order a Raised seal Stamper and be qualified to work as a TEFL teacher in minutes after you print out your fake Teaching diploma on Parchment paper.You might be lucky and get 10 ~ 16 hours per week teaching kindergarden like many of the freelancers in Saitama . A WHV for the under 30's and a high school graduation cert is all that is required.

JET's do the hard work getting their qualifications and work at recognised school educational institutions .

You are aware that JET doesn't require teaching qualifications either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Thanks for the responses, I've been a bit busy with college and that so not really getting around to checking this.

Unfortunately I don't have a degree, I'm in a degree course at the moment. I guess I'll have to wait until I have my degree if I want to go? Or maybe just for this specific program. Also I thought that the program required you to be under 30 or am I wrong about this? By the time I get my degree I'll be in my 30s so a bit worried about that!

@KyedHen
    I'm going for the same reasons I would imagine anyone wants to go. Ultimately though I'd know more about Japan than anyone I know, I'd be put to shame by anyone on here I'm sure. I love the culture and history etc and want to immerse myself in it for a year. I'd love to be in Kyoto or somewhere like that that's steeped in culture, even if it can get overly hot and humid. And no I've no experience teaching english or any qualifications to teach it.

On that page it states that in April:
    Interviewed applicants will be notified whether they are successful (short-list candidates), unsuccessful or have been given alternate (reserve) status.

@Halen
    Any word from your friend about his?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Unfortunately he was unsuccessful in the interview.

I don't see an age restriction on the JET website but I know for a working holiday visa you have to be under 25, but can get special permission to get one up until 30. For the JET you do need to have a degree.

I've also noticed on the working holiday visa requirements page that it no longer States you need a 4 year degree to apply for one. If you're interested in spending a year in Japan this may be another option to check out although without a degree I'd say chances of finding a job is quite slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thanks for the responses, I've been a bit busy with college and that so not really getting around to checking this.

Unfortunately I don't have a degree, I'm in a degree course at the moment. I guess I'll have to wait until I have my degree if I want to go? Or maybe just for this specific program. Also I thought that the program required you to be under 30 or am I wrong about this? By the time I get my degree I'll be in my 30s so a bit worried about that!

@KyedHen
    I'm going for the same reasons I would imagine anyone wants to go. Ultimately though I'd know more about Japan than anyone I know, I'd be put to shame by anyone on here I'm sure. I love the culture and history etc and want to immerse myself in it for a year. I'd love to be in Kyoto or somewhere like that that's steeped in culture, even if it can get overly hot and humid. And no I've no experience teaching english or any qualifications to teach it.

Interviewed applicants will be notified whether they are successful (short-list candidates), unsuccessful or have been given alternate (reserve) status.

@Halen

Yes, JET requires a degree. This isn't a specific JET requirement though, it's actually the visa requirement for Japan. You need a degree or 10 years experience in your field before they'll let you into the country, hence that's why most jobs advertise those requirements.

They've done away with the age requirement for JET. There's no max age but they do emphasis that it is a youth exchange program so take from that what you will. I would assume that it probably means something like, if two candidates of similar qualifications etc. appear and one is 25 and the other 45 then the 25 year old would most likely get the spot. You'd be fine in your 30s I'd say, but you do need the degree.

Also, you don't HAVE to have teaching experience or qualifications but JET is all about making your application stand out over someone else's so every little bit helps. If you have time during college (maybe during the Summer?) do a TEFL course and have that certification. Could you tutor for experience? An LC subject or college grinds? Even a sport? Volunteering coaching a local club or team or something? Any bit of experience will be better than absolutely none.

The other big thing you need to sell in the interview/application is well, your stability. Are you going to be a liability to the program? That is, are you going to up and leave after 3 months cause you hate living in Japan? This is one of their biggest concerns. So to excel in this area, previous experience living or extensive traveling in Japan would be helpful. Living in another foreign country would also be good. If you have neither of those, you can work on learning Japanese, and on knowing about Japan - not just the history or famous culture, but about daily life etc. Basically, you need to somehow prove to them that you will survive in Japan. That's why people who have lived there previously have an advantage! But obviously that's a very small number of people, but you need to proof you'll be as likely to adapt as they would!

@KyedHen

@Halen
    Don't worry I understand your desire to come over - I was in your shoes at one time after all!
    I just would hate to see you put all of your eggs in one basket, as they say. There are plenty of good companies over here that are willing to give people opportunities. Granted, most of them are eikaiwa. But teaching in public schools isn't all it's cracked up to be, so I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 putthekettleon

I was on JET for 3 years over 10 years ago. It's really hit and miss how your experience will be. I'll try my best to give the low down on what to expect and some advice for applying.
    A university degree (in anything) is a must. This isn't just for JET, but for most work visas for Japan.
    Applicants should be under 40 years old. Typically they hire people in their mid to late twenties/early thirties.
    Fresh graduates might want to apply in a couple of years, a bit of work experience helps.
    You'll have to do a physical. If you have any previous convictions, don't waste your time applying.
    If you make it to the interview, dress conservatively. Guys, wear a suit and tie, no earrings or visible tattoos. Sit upright both feet on the floor (I know it sounds a bit strange, but appearance and how you present yourself is VERY important in Japan.) Also in the interview you'll be asked if you drink, this isn't a trick question, so if you drink say yes. Drinking parties are an important part of team building in Japan.
    If you get accepted, you'll have very little chance of selecting where you're placed. A good tip is select a town or city in the general part of Japan that you want to live in that has a sister city (twinned town) in Ireland, that will greatly increase your chances.
    If you are applying along with your partner, don't expect to be located in the same place, this only applies to married couples. If your spouse or kids are coming but not as JETs they can also get a visa, but won't be able to get a job legally (I'll explain more about informal work later).
    You'll be allocated an apartment of house by local government, this will be subsidised by about 50%, my rent on JET was about 200 euro a month. Keep in mind that Japanese apartments are quite small and this will be the Irish equivalent of a council flat.
    You won't be living in Tokyo or Osaka, so get used to the idea of being most likely in the middle of nowhere. Public transport is excellent and hotels are cheap enough, so a weekend in the city is an option.
    Most apartments will be supplied with the basics, TV, sofa, futon, chopsticks, pots pans etc. Bring enough money to cover your first few months, you won't get paid for about 2 months. I recommend about 4 or 5 grand.
    On your arrival in Tokyo you'll have a few days orientation, don't try to skip this as some of the documents and information is important. You'll also attend a function at the Irish embassy, free booze but try not to overdo it, a few lads made a complete show of themselves and it was really embarrassing for the rest of us. The Tokyo subway is massive so if you want to go for drinks stay near the hotel unless you're in a group of JETs that have experience in Tokyo, trying to find the hotel after a skinful can be a nightmare.
    You won't have a room to yourself so don't stay out too late, you'll be sharing the room with at least one complete stranger. Don't piss them off, they'll be living in the same area as you and you'll most likely be neighbours for a few years. Also try to get to bed at a decent hour in Tokyo, the jetlag is terrible. Also you'll meet your boss at the end of orientation, don't look like Keith Richards, first impressions count.
    Will you have enough money to live on with JET, certainly. I paid off all my debt and never had to stay in due to saving money. Expect to blow a load of cash when you first arrive though. You might need to buy a car, definitely get a bicycle (second hand), bicycle theft is very common in Japan so register the serial number with the local cops)
    It's a good idea to have a valid passport for the duration of your stay. You'll also need to carry your "gaijin card" at all times, if the cops stop you, and trust me they will at some point, you'll be in big trouble if you don't have it.
    On the topic of cops, cycling after drinking is the same as drink driving, be careful. If you get into any trouble with the cops or annoy the neighbours, your boss will be informed.
    As for living as a JET, it's a mixed bag, but in general the work will be very easy, it might get very boring though. Also, a lot of English teachers in Japanese public schools can't speak English, you might find yourself sitting at your desk all day because the teacher is afraid to work with you. The younger teachers tend to be ok though as they've probably studied for a year abroad.
    It's a good idea to learn katakana and hiragana before you arrive (I didn't, and really struggled for the first few months), learn how to write your name in katakana. After you settle in, practice writing your address. This is probably the only essential Japanese writing you'll need, however, JET offers a course in Japanese for new arrivals by correspondence, do it, don't be late sending the homework or you'll be kicked off the course.
    Be prepared for an emotional rollercoaster, initial excitement, loneliness, homesickness, frustration (both kinds). If you're a single woman on JET, don't expect a relationship with a native, or even a one night stand. This is a big factor in women leaving Japan. As for the guys, do NOT under any circumstances get involved with a Japanese coworker, it never ends well.
    Don't worry about being perceived by some other gaijin as living in a gaijin bubble, you'll need English speaking friends. There's always a few asshats that come over and try to isolate themselves from other gaijin because they love manga and studied Japanese for a year in college. The japanophiles usually leave after a year of JET due to Japan not living up to their expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I thought maybe it's not worth starting a new thread, so is anyone going this summer? I got my call during the week from the embassy, excited to hear where I've been placed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 putthekettleon

Where are you heading to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I won't know until mid to late May, it's just the shortlist for now. After that, it'll be a little while longer until the predecessor gets in contact with more precise details.

• Advertisement

excited to hear where I've been placed!
    Where are you heading to?
    I won't know until mid to late May, it's just the shortlist for now.

(Just an observation) understanding language and communicating it .

Having lived in Japan for a long time, returning to Ireland the culture shock along with understanding the Irish/English language was very hard for me. I have many stories but one story still stands out .

The conversation was between myself and my mother as we were driving home, let's put it this way she was doing all the talking, I was driving and she had a 100 years of gossip to let loose.

As we neared home my mother was pointing her finger forward through the windscreen and asking me "Do you see that blooming get" ? I was looking to the left and right of me toward the grass verge but could not see any flowers. I did see our next door neighbour closing the gate behind himself.

Advertisement