Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoholic ginger beer - recipe suggestions for first batch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

engrish? wrote: »
    Hey - I am going to make this at the weekend. I am going to make it in a 1 Gallon carboy. Shound I divide everything by 5 to get 4 litres? That would give me .5l space for the head etc. Do I still use an entire sachet of yeast?

So:

0.5kg Fresh Ginger Root

0.4kg Muntons Spraymalt (Medium is all I have) or 0.4kg Dextrose?

2.5 Lemons

1 Sachet of Champagne Yeast

Would that work or should I make a change?

With that much ginger, you can make a lot more ginger beer than that. I used to make around 4 -5 gallons with that much ginger.

Use all of the spraymalt and top up with some dextrose (or even raw cane sugar, which is great in ginger beer), ensure that the spraymalt is dominant in terms of fermentables (ie more malt than sugar).

Just cracked open some of mine yesterday - I extracted some of the wort from crushed barley, but it was mostly spraymalt. I also hopped it a bit with some cascade that was around the house.

Its really improving a lot. Cracking little beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

sharingan wrote: »
    With that much ginger, you can make a lot more ginger beer than that. I used to make around 4 -5 gallons with that much ginger.

Use all of the spraymalt and top up with some dextrose (or even raw cane sugar, which is great in ginger beer), ensure that the spraymalt is dominant in terms of fermentables (ie more malt than sugar).

Just cracked open some of mine yesterday - I extracted some of the wort from crushed barley, but it was mostly spraymalt. I also hopped it a bit with some cascade that was around the house.

Never thought of hopping it..sounds like a great idea.

Wonder can you make a fermentable wort from non-malted barley,ie ordinary barley either boiled or steeped?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

So ideally - for a 1 gallon mix, how much ginger and how much spraymalt would you use? I have 500g medium spraymalt and I have loads of dextrose (over 2 kilos)

My spraymalt just arrived! :D

Thanks!

So ideally - for a 1 gallon mix, how much ginger and how much spraymalt would you use? I have 500g medium spraymalt and I have loads of dextrose (over 2 kilos)

Thanks!

I would say get a 10 litre fermenter and make it up to that amount,you;ve got more than enough ingredients.

A fermentor doesnt have to be fancy-shmanzy either,a plastic,food-grade bucket is all you need.

Degsy wrote: »
    I would say get a 10 litre fermenter and make it up to that amount,you;ve got more than enough ingredients.

A fermentor doesnt have to be fancy-shmanzy either,a plastic,food-grade bucket is all you need.

All I have though is a 1 Gallon glass carboy!

• Advertisement

All I have though is a 1 Gallon glass carboy!

Half the sparaymalt,half the ginger and about the same amount of lemons. Add half the yeast too.

You need to get a new fermentor..where are you based?

Half the sparaymalt,half the ginger and about the same amount of lemons. Add half the yeast too.

You need to get a new fermentor..where are you based?

Dublin - I have some others but they are all in use. A good part of the reason I am doing this is to actually watch the fermentation in the glass carboys - I havent gotten the full experience from the plastic containers. I'm going to be putting on two other brews this weekend in my plastic ones.

Ok so, last question - and thanks for the advice, will I go with

0.25kg of Fresh Ginger

250g of Spraymalt & No Dextrose

2 Lemons

1/2 a sachet of champagne yeast

Does that sound right?

Never thought of hopping it..sounds like a great idea.

Wonder can you make a fermentable wort from non-malted barley,ie ordinary barley either boiled or steeped?

You would have to malt/steep it yourself. Its doable, but a fair amount of hard work.

Last I checked, malted barley is not that expensive.

Dublin - I have some others but they are all in use. A good part of the reason I am doing this is to actually watch the fermentation in the glass carboys - I havent gotten the full experience from the plastic containers. I'm going to be putting on two other brews this weekend in my plastic ones.

Ok so, last question - and thanks for the advice, will I go with

0.25kg of Fresh Ginger

250g of Spraymalt & No Dextrose

2 Lemons

1/2 a sachet of champagne yeast

Does that sound right?

I have a couple of spare 16 litre containers if you want em...although you cant see whats going on you can easily fit airlocks.

recipie sounds good but you really dont need to stress about weights and exact measurements when you're doing a brew like this,it'll turn out pretty good no matter what i reckon,and the beauty is tthat its very cheap to make!

Last I checked, malted barley is not that expensive.

It isnt but dont you need a mash tun plus hot water for sparging?

I was wondering can you use the wort strained without using the mash tun?

• Advertisement

I have a couple of spare 16 litre containers if you want em...although you cant see whats going on you can easily fit airlocks.

recipie sounds good but you really dont need to stress about weights and exact measurements when you're doing a brew like this,it'll turn out pretty good no matter what i reckon,and the beauty is tthat its very cheap to make!

If they are going spare I'd love them - I'm becoming fanatical about brewing so I like the idea of having a few different flavours on the go at once!

Thanks again

If they are going spare I'd love them - I'm becoming fanatical about brewing so I like the idea of having a few different flavours on the go at once!

Thanks again

No probs..pm sent.

I recomend you try "Guara Pina"..its simply fermented pineapple juice..very easy to do and suitable for a smaller container.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I have a batch going at the moment and the yeast has been very active for the first two days. What kind of OG and FG do people normally get with this? I'm aiming for 4% ABV here.

Yeah, it is a hard recipe to screw up.

It isnt but dont you need a mash tun plus hot water for sparging?

I was wondering can you use the wort strained without using the mash tun?

You don't need the mash-tun if you are using the Brew in a Bag method. You are heating the water, and taking it through the temperature changes to get the enzymes to go to work on your starch. Once you are done, lift out the bag of grain and let it drain. No need for mashing, or sparging.

Hey

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I brewed that Ginger beer last night, mostly following your instructions Degsey. It's 12 hours on and it doesn't seem to be fermenting. I'm wondering if the yeast was dead.

I boiled the ginger for about 10 mins. While I was doing that, I mixed 800gms of sugar and malt extract (combined) with 2 litres of boiling water. I then added the lemons (in a muslin bag) and then the ginger mix (strained through a muslin cloth which was then tied and added in to float). I then topped up with cold water. When it was about room temp (20 - 25 degrees) I pitched the yeast which I mixed in a cup with luke warm water for about 5 mins before adding. Some of it lumped a small bit, the lumps are still obvious in the mix but there are not many of them, just one or two.

The problem is that it's 12 hours on now and there is no action in it at all. There is no head, no bubbles in the airlock etc. I made two other kit brews last night at the same time and they are going crazy.

I bought the yeast of Homebrew.ie, in the same order they sent me two out of date bags of malt extract. The yeast seems to be in date. Do you think I should sit back and wait or should I start ordering in some new champagne yeast?

Thanks a mil

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd give it another day or two and then check the gravity if i still looks like nothing's happening.
    the yeast which I mixed in a cup with luke warm water for about 5 mins before adding.
    This doesn't sound like a very good idea. You should either rehydrate fully or just sprinkle on dry.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd give it another day or two and then check the gravity if i still looks like nothing's happening.

This doesn't sound like a very good idea. You should either rehydrate fully or just sprinkle on dry.

Thanks - do you mean I should have let it sit in the water for longer?

The method I use for rehydrating yeast is:

1. Sanitise a thermometer, a pyrex measuring jug, and two small drinking glasses, one with a smaller diameter at the top than the other so they'll fit into each other, rim-to-rim, forming a seal.

2. Boil some water in the kettle.

3. Measure 100ml of boiled water in the pyrex jug and pour into the larger-rimmed glass.

4. Place the thermometer in the glass.

5. Half fill the pyrex jug with cold water and place the glass of boiled water in it, using it as a bath to cool the water in the glass to 27C. It takes about 10 minutes. Stir the boiled water with the thermometer to even out the temperature. Replacing the warmed water in the jug with fresh cold water will speed things up. Take care not to touch the inside of the glass.

6. Remove the thermometer and sprinkle the yeast sachet onto the surface of the water in the glass.

7. Place the smaller-rimmed glass on top of the other, forming a seal.

8. After ten minutes or so, swirl the contents of the glass gently. You want all the yeast to get wet and to blend smoothly. It will take a while for this to happen. You don't want yeast granules stuck to the side of the glass.

9. Give it a swirl every 5 minutes or so.

10. After about an hour, maybe more, foam will start to form on the surface of the yeast solution. The yeast is active and ready to pitch.

I usually kick this off around the beginning of my brewday so it's ready when I need it, two or three hours later.

The method I use for rehydrating yeast is:

1. Sanitise a thermometer, a pyrex measuring jug, and two small drinking glasses, one with a smaller diameter at the top than the other so they'll fit into each other, rim-to-rim, forming a seal.

2. Boil some water in the kettle.

3. Measure 100ml of boiled water in the pyrex jug and pour into the larger-rimmed glass.

4. Place the thermometer in the glass.

5. Half fill the pyrex jug with cold water and place the glass of boiled water in it, using it as a bath to cool the water in the glass to 27C. It takes about 10 minutes. Stir the boiled water with the thermometer to even out the temperature. Replacing the warmed water in the jug with fresh cold water will speed things up. Take care not to touch the inside of the glass.

6. Remove the thermometer and sprinkle the yeast sachet onto the surface of the water in the glass.

7. Place the smaller-rimmed glass on top of the other, forming a seal.

8. After ten minutes or so, swirl the contents of the glass gently. You want all the yeast to get wet and to blend smoothly. It will take a while for this to happen. You don't want yeast granules stuck to the side of the glass.

9. Give it a swirl every 5 minutes or so.

10. After about an hour, maybe more, foam will start to form on the surface of the yeast solution. The yeast is active and ready to pitch.

I usually kick this off around the beginning of my brewday so it's ready when I need it, two or three hours later.

Thats awesome - thanks a million.

• Advertisement

Hey,

So I checked it again this morning, nothing has changed. Og is the same and there is no visible fermentation.

I was playing it over in my head - the only thing I can think of is that I could have incorrectly washed the jug I mixed the yeast in. I had washed it with a spray bleach mix and water and rinsed it thoroughly - but maybe I didn't wash it enough? I smelt it before I used it and it had no aroma of bleach.

I gave it a stir this morning to get the sediment up from the bottom, just to see if that did anything. What do you think I should do? Should I pitch another sachet of yeast?

If nothing's happening still that's probably what I'd do.

If nothing's happening still that's probably what I'd do.

I put in another pack of champagne (wine) yeast last night and there was still nothing by this morning. I tried to bring the temperature up a bit before I left to see if that makes a difference.

Is this a dead brew? Its such a pity because it smells amazing :(

What's your OG?

Cant recall - will have to check it when I get home tonight. It looks the exact same as when I put it in though, no head, no marks on the side etc. Do you think it could be happening anyway?

Yes. The only way you know for sure if fermentation is happening or not is whether the gravity changes. Are you saying you don't have a gravity reading from day 1?

Yes. The only way you know for sure if fermentation is happening or not is whether the gravity changes. Are you saying you don't have a gravity reading from day 1?

I didnt take one on day 1, completely slipped my mind. I'll come clean and say I havent taken one at all. The fv I'm using doesnt have a tap and my brewferm christmas brew was spilling out of the airlock so I had to turn my siphon into an airlock to allow the overflow come down into a pot.

:o

Bottled the Christmas brew earlier so I was able to use the siphon to take a gravity reading - I think you were right, it seems to be fermenting slowly. Its currently at 1.015. Would adding the extra yeast have damaged it? It smells amazing.

Would adding the extra yeast have damaged it?
    Doubt it. Let it run for a while and take a gravity reading every three or four days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

I think it's unnecessary to get carried away when rehydrating dried yeast. Fermentis recommends the following
    Sprinkle the dry yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C (80F ± 6F). Once the expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to 30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

OR this
    Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C (68F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.

However, in reality commercial brewers will rehydrate in a saucepan of warm (previously boiled) water for maybe 10 minutes before pitching.

Advertisement