Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Multi-functional events centre (Budget 2014)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Bacchus wrote: »
    Never heard this before. I thought both sites were offering pretty much the same facilities. What extra is in the Beamish proposal that isn't in the Albert Quay one?

The conference and event centre on the Beamish site will face the funeral home on Proby's Quay with a new footbridge across the river.
    But behind that there will be a whole new development of apartments, a few shops, a cinema and a new street that will run from Tuckey Street through Beamish and onto a new footbridge across the river to Crosses Green near the dole office bridge.

Albert Quay will just be a single standalone event and concert venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If the Beamish site gets the go ahead what is the traffic management, car parking, public transport plan? From a traffic point of view the Beamish site is an utter bottle-neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Pitcairn wrote: »
    The conference and event centre on the Beamish site will face the funeral home on Proby's Quay with a new footbridge across the river.
    But behind that there will be a whole new development of apartments, a few shops, a cinema and a new street that will run from Tuckey Street through Beamish and onto a new footbridge across the river to Crosses Green near the dole office bridge.

Albert Quay will just be a single standalone event and concert venue.

FWIW I don't mind where this ends up, once Cork gets something it desperately needs in the end.

Could the new developments also take place were the event centre put in Albert Quay? apartments, cinema etc. - it would be close to the Elysium & the proposed new offices for Tyco.

This would tie in with the feasibility study for a luas styled public transport for Cork where I heard mentioned before the Quays in Cork would need to be developed for it to be feasible.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    If the Beamish site gets the go ahead what is the traffic management, car parking, public transport plan? From a traffic point of view the Beamish site is an utter bottle-neck.

This is the big thing for me about the Beamish site - it is very central, which is both a pro and a con - construction would have the potential to make Cork an even bigger disaster to navigate around if it's not planned and controlled properly.

Either way, looking forward to a decision and hopefully some top acts coming to play in an events centre in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

namloc1980 wrote: »
    If the Beamish site gets the go ahead what is the traffic management, car parking, public transport plan?

Cork-2-300x225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

D'Agger wrote: »
    FWIW I don't mind where this ends up, once Cork gets something it desperately needs in the end.

Could the new developments also take place were the event centre put in Albert Quay? apartments, cinema etc. - it would be close to the Elysium & the proposed new offices for Tyco.

The Albert Quay location is in the middle of the financial district in Cork and will be boxed in on a number of sides by 4 lane roads. One of them being the N27. On the other hand, the Beamish site is surrounded by the pub district in Cork and IMO, would be an ideal location for a new cinema.

This is the big thing for me about the Beamish site - it is very central, which is both a pro and a con - construction would have the potential to make Cork an even bigger disaster to navigate around if it's not planned and controlled properly.

The Albert Quay proposal is madness when it comes to traffic. We constantly hear complains of having Mahon Point placed beside the South Ring Road.

Yet people think its a good idea to place the Event Centre alongside the N27 which is the main North-South artery for traffic going through the city centre. Infact, that stretch of road carries the 2nd most amount of traffic going North-South in the city outside of the tunnel.

It would be lunacy of the highest order to have that event centre beside this road. Would cause utter gridlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

This would tie in with the feasibility study for a luas styled public transport for Cork where I heard mentioned before the Quays in Cork would need to be developed for it to be feasible.

There is only planning permission in place for the event centre. For other developments they would need to lodge a new application but the site isn't very large anyway so I doubt they could fit much more there.

THe Luas-style system would pass that area. The ultimate plan is to link Ballincollig to Mahon via the CIT, CUH, city centre and the Docklands but it won't be a LUAS, it will be a bendy bus type service.
    They are currently piloting one of these services in Dublin.

nationaltransport.ie/bus-rapid-transit/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The Albert Quay location is in the middle of the financial district in Cork and will be boxed in on a number of sides by 4 lane roads. One of them being the N27. On the other hand, the Beamish site is surrounded by the pub district in Cork and IMO, would be an ideal location for a new cinema.

As opposed to the 1 lane roads surrounding the Beamish factory? If the argument for/against either site is based purely on traffic flow, Albert Quay wins every time IMO. There are other sides to the argument though. I just find it a bit funny (no offence) when people use poor traffic infrastructure around Albert Quay as a reason to prefer the Beamish site.
    The Albert Quay proposal is madness when it comes to traffic. We constantly hear complains of having Mahon Point placed beside the South Ring Road.

I don't see what Mahon Point has to do with it. Mahon point has the problem of 1 slip road going in/out of it and is serviced by a single bus route. It is nothing like either the Albert Quay or Beamish factory sites.
    Yet people think its a good idea to place the Event Centre alongside the N27 which is the main North-South artery for traffic going through the city centre. Infact, that stretch of road carries the 2nd most amount of traffic going North-South in the city outside of the tunnel

Speaking of which, how much traffic will be drawn to the city center with the Beamish site? How much traffic will have to go through that link road ANYWAY if the Beamish site is chosen?

It would be lunacy of the highest order to have that event centre beside this road. Would cause utter gridlock.

I think it would be lunacy to have that centre in the middle of town surrounded by single lane roads. I won't argue that both sites have their problems but, as I said before, if we're talking strictly about traffic congestion I think the Beamish factory has bigger problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Its a shame it couldn't have been built in part of irish rail site on horgan's quay, neither proposed sites lead me to happy thoughts if you take a car to an event there. Beamish site is been pushed hard for the benefit of others namely the pubs etc around there then to the benefit of the users of the centre.

Cork has to be one of the worst planned out cities ever joined up thinking has never been high on the agenda

Lambofdave wrote: »
    Its a shame it couldn't have been built in part of irish rail site on horgan's quay, neither proposed sites lead me to happy thoughts if you take a car to an event there. Beamish site is been pushed hard for the benefit of others namely the pubs etc around there then to the benefit of the users of the centre.

Cork has to be one of the worst planned out cities ever joined up thinking has never been high on the agenda

Not a bad location now you mention it. Near train station which is great for those outside Cork. It's still walking distance to a lot of hotels, pubs and restaurants. Visually, it would be quite impressive along the harbour there. It would really help rejuvenate that side of town too. Like the other two sites though, traffic would be a problem but I could see it working there. Plenty of space to put in a mid sized multi-story car park too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yet people think its a good idea to place the Event Centre alongside the N27 which is the main North-South artery for traffic going through the city centre. Infact, that stretch of road carries the 2nd most amount of traffic going North-South in the city outside of the tunnel.

I think you're focusing on an individual problem and ignoring others.

There are only three possibilities regarding the event centre and transport that I can see:

- You build the event centre immediately by a transport hub (bus/train/light rail). Neither proposal is, though the Albert Quay is closer to both the bus & train stations.

- You build the event centre immediately by a major transport artery to allow for road traffic to reach/exit the area quickly. Not many events are likely to be held in the week-day morning, lunch time or around 6pm, so there's less risk of contention with rush-hour traffic.

- You build the event centre away from major transport arteries, to avoid contention. This works well if the event attendees are local and/or arrive on foot.

The Albert Quay proposal is obviously the 2nd option, Beamish the 3rd. Personally, I think the Beamish proposal could have a massive impact on the city traffic. There isn't a large local population, so inevitably you'll have a LOT of cars, taxis and mini-buses setting-down to deliver the ~6,000 attendees. South Main St. is now single-lane, as is French's Quay, meaning a lot of potential for traffic to back-up onto Tuckey St. (one lane), Washington St. (one lane westward) and even onto Grand Parade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

who_me wrote: »
    The Albert Quay proposal is obviously the 2nd option, Beamish the 3rd. Personally, I think the Beamish proposal could have a massive impact on the city traffic. There isn't a large local population, so inevitably you'll have a LOT of cars, taxis and mini-buses setting-down to deliver the ~6,000 attendees. South Main St. is now single-lane, as is French's Quay, meaning a lot of potential for traffic to back-up onto Tuckey St. (one lane), Washington St. (one lane westward) and even onto Grand Parade.

What's the 1st option ?

What's the 1st option ?

Don't waste public funds building it?

What's the 1st option ?

Something up by the train station like another poster suggested a few posts up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Bacchus wrote: »
    Something up by the train station like another poster suggested a few posts up.

If only Irish Rail had the resolve, they could do great things with that site they have down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

What's the 1st option ?

Somewhere adjacent to the train station, bus station (don't think there's any nearby site large enough, though there is a lot of run-down and unused property immediately behind it).

The North Docklands could be ideal transport-wise. Right next to the train-station, easy road access to the East (and not too hard to get to the Link from there), 5/10 minutes walk to the bus station, Aircoach and Citylink leaving from St. Patricks Quay, a couple more to Patrick St.

But that site wouldn't be as good in terms of pre/post restaurants and bars, of course. The Albert Quay and in particular the Beamish sites are better in that regard. It really is a "swings and roundabouts" decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

There's no site anywhere in Cork City with decent transport links. The city just hasn't been built (i would say planned but...) that way.

The Beamish proposal has the most to offer in terms of urban regeneration and providing a focal point for cultural, social and entertainment activity in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Just heard on radio,the decision to be announced on the 14 July.

Just heard on radio,the decision to be announced on the 14 July.

That's the City Council decision on whether or not the council will they will invest.

The report, which will indicate the preferred developer, is being issued on July 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Glad to hear of progress on this, should have a better idea of what's happening quite soon

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

So whats the plan to allow for the traffic at the beamish site? parking and so on.

• Advertisement

So whats the plan to allow for the traffic at the beamish site? parking and so on.

Sure they haven't even announced the site yet. Who knows what the plan is. At least we're getting a decision on the site soon. Wonder when we could realistically expect it to be completed? 2016?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭ Kailee Tangy Suspense

City centre car parks
    On street parking
    Park at sites outside the city centre and get a bus in, e.g. the park and ride

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

In terms of parking for that site there is no plan. But sure let a plan get in the way of progress. :rolleyes:

City centre car parks
    On street parking
    Park at sites outside the city centre and get a bus in, e.g. the park and ride

City centre car parks are very expensive and l'm not sure they're open after midnight. The one by the Opera house closes. So how will that work for a late night event centre.

On street parking. Where ? They're about 30/40 spaces in that general area !!! There's no parking on Patrick St now !

Park and ride ? not exactly a plan for parking.

Maybe everybody can cycle or walk in or even jog and we're sorted !!

Another joke of a planning decision.

Albert Quay would have been much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

clerk wrote: »
    On street parking. Where ? They're about 30/40 spaces in that general area !!!

There's a hell of a lot more then that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭ Kailee Tangy Suspense

clerk wrote: »
    City centre car parks are very expensive and l'm not sure they're open after midnight. The one by the Opera house closes. So how will that work for a late night event centre.

On street parking. Where ? They're about 30/40 spaces in that general area !!! There's no parking on Patrick St now !

Park and ride ? not exactly a plan for parking.

Maybe everybody can cycle or walk in or even jog and we're sorted !!

Another joke of a planning decision.

Albert Quay would have been much better.
    Do you want an car park with a escalation to your seat as well?

City centre car parks can open after midnight if the business is there.
    On street parking is all over the city. Have you a problem with parking maybe a 15-20min walk away?
    Yes, park and ride. What's the big deal with getting a bus out to a parking location?

What's with the need to have everyone drive and park to the doorstep of the event centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Sure build it out by the Kinsale Rd roundabout altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

60,000 people can attend Croke Park without parking. Surely getting 5,000 people to the event centre can be well handled by taxis, hackneys, public buses, private buses, car parks, spins etc.

I hope it's built on the Beamish site. It'll be great for the city.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    There's a hell of a lot more then that!

Where ?

• Advertisement

1] City centre car parks can open after midnight if the business is there.
    On street parking is all over the city.

2] Have you a problem with parking maybe a 15-20min walk away?

3] Yes, park and ride. What's the big deal with getting a bus out to a parking location?

1] ok - but are they actually going to open. Nobody has said they will.

2] l'd walk 15-20 minutes no bother but l'll be accused of being sexist here but l don't know a woman that would walk 15-20 minutes in the high heels and all the rest for a night out. Ain't going to happen.

3] Not being smart but seriously waiting around in the pissing rain springs to mind.

Advertisement