Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Simple Ecommerce site

Options
  • 29-10-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone out there in the Kildare area who could help me build a very simple ecommerce site? A student?

Using a template on the likes of Squarespace etc?

I just need something simple that accepts cards and paypal. I only have one type of product, with around 20 styles.

I dont want anything fancy, just basically an online catalogue I can sell from.

I have a VERY small budget, so please bear that in mind. The only reason I cant sit down and do it myself is I don't have a minute with a toddler hanging out of me!

Please pm me if you live in the area and are interested in a few quid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Best posting here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802922

If you get a chance, take a look at Woo Commerce for Wordpress, you'd be surprised how fast you'd get it setup and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

mandy30 wrote: »
    The only reason I cant sit down and do it myself is I don't have a minute with a toddler hanging out of me!
    I stay at home with 2 kids. I am up at 7am to do some work before they wake and I stay up late after my wife goes to bed.

On topic, I also recommend WordPress with WooCommerce plugin. WooThemes.com have some free themes for WooCommerce.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭mandy30

daymobrew wrote: »
    I stay at home with 2 kids. I am up at 7am to do some work before they wake and I stay up late after my wife goes to bed.

Fair play. My child wakes at 6am, so there is no way on earth I'm getting up at 5. Oh, and I'm carrying another baby and sick as a dog. I'll have a look at the recommended site.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What's your budget??

Will you need to be able to calculate shipping/international shipping rates? Which shipping company?
    Are you going to be selling internationally?
    Will you need to account for VAT, are you VAT registered, how will you handle VAT on international sales?
    Will you be managing inventory?
    Are you looking for a hosted solution or are you going to use your own. If your looking at hosted, which one. If you're using your own, what platform?
    Are you looking for a template based design or something completely bespoke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Avoid credit cards as you'll need a merchant bank account and the site needs to be pci compliant.

Stick with PayPal and maybe look at stripe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Avoid credit cards as you'll need a merchant bank account and the site needs to be pci compliant.

Stick with PayPal and maybe look at stripe
    Let me clarify this post: Avoid taking credit card details on your site. Using PayPal or RealEx means that the details are accepted on their site imposing putting security requirements on your site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

daymobrew wrote: »
    Let me clarify this post: Avoid taking credit card details on your site. Using PayPal or RealEx means that the details are accepted on their site imposing putting security requirements on your site.
    you need a merchant bank account to use credit cards.

you need a merchant bank account to use credit cards.

Not any more you don't.

Paypal, Paymill or Stripe will all allow you to accept credit cards without requiring a merchant account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dtutor

You can also take a look at GetSocio.com. It's an easy application for creating simple ecommerce websites. It will take several minutes to set up your site with a default theme and your website will be up and running immediately. You can gradually adjust and customize your site if needed. It's a hosted solution with a good support service so you don't have to care about many technical problems, which is good as you don't have much time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

You lost me at 'simple'

• Advertisement

Hi. All depends on what you mean by "simple" of course however Squarespace is really a terrific platform and combining it with Stripe makes the whole thing work very well and very stylishly. I could do it for you if you need help. Am I allowed pitch my services here on Boards? (New to the platform!)

Read the charter at the top of each forum. Short answer, nope.

Advertisement