Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problem with phone?

Options
  • 01-07-2013 3:06pm

I was trying to upgrade the firmware of my Samsung Galaxy Ace from the default firmware (2.1, I believe) to 4.0. Something possibly went wrong with it, so I went back into Recovery Mode and did a factory reset and wiped the clear partition. Now when I power on my phone, it hangs on the "Galaxy Ace GT-S3830" screen.

Is there anything I can do or have I just bricked my phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I was trying to upgrade the firmware of my Samsung Galaxy Ace from the default firmware (2.1, I believe) to 4.0. Something possibly went wrong with it, so I went back into Recovery Mode and did a factory reset and wiped the clear partition. Now when I power on my phone, it hangs on the "Galaxy Ace GT-S3830" screen.

Is there anything I can do or have I just bricked my phone?

Are you trying to install a custom rom or an official Samsung Rom?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Are you trying to install a custom rom or an official Samsung Rom?

Custom ROM, unfortunately. Think I might have done something wrong, but can't tell as I followed the instructions perfectly.

I'm trying to install it again from SD card.. it moves through

Finding update package
    Opening update package
    Installing update ...
    before it hits an error - "E: Error in tmp/sideload/package.zip" .. time to hit Google.

Custom ROM, unfortunately. Think I might have done something wrong, but can't tell as I followed the instructions perfectly.

I'm trying to install it again from SD card.. it moves through

Finding update package
    Opening update package
    Installing update ...
    before it hits an error - "E: Error in tmp/sideload/package.zip" .. time to hit Google.

Okay -

Ill try talk you through it....

Is it clockworkmod recovery you installed or is it touchwin?

The one I'm trying to use is downloaded from here. Selected Samsung Galaxy Ace and then Jellybean 4.2.2 (CyanogenMod 10.1) 20130623 and Google Apps for CyanogenMod 10.1 (20130623) - Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 (CyanogenMod 9) final 3 was an option, but I didn't get that one unfortunately *sigh* - therein probably lies the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

It would suggest a corruption in the installation zip file... try and download another and give that a try.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement

Try download the custom rom again, that message is for corrupt files....

Once you have it on your sd card, whilst in recovery -

1. boot to recovery
    2. wipe data/factory reset
    3. wipe cache
    4. wipe dalvik cache
    5. wipe battery stats
    6. flash rom

On my phone it says -
    reboot system now
    apply update from sdcard
    wipe data/factory rest
    wipe cache partition
    test redbend fota[FS]

but nothing about dalvik cache or battery stats.

This is mildly annoying to say the least.

On my phone it says -
    reboot system now
    apply update from sdcard
    wipe data/factory rest
    wipe cache partition
    test redbend fota[FS]

but nothing about dalvik cache or battery stats.

This is mildly annoying to say the least.

Dunno what recovery you are using there by the sound of that, could be a modded CWM or something....

Have a look at this thread on XDA (the bible for this stuff)

Is this the one you are talking about downloading?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2212438

I assume you followed this root/flashing guide to a T? - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1034145

Dunno what recovery you are using there by the sound of that, could be a modded CWM or something....

Have a look at this thread on XDA (the bible for this stuff)

Is this the one you are talking about downloading?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2212438

I assume you followed this root/flashing guide to a T? - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1034145

These are the steps that I followed. The only thing I didn't follow was the Clockworkmod. That page didn't have any download links, so I went to the Maclaw Studio official page and downloaded it from there. Everything else I followed perfectly.

I should add that when rooting, I didn't (and still don't) have access to a data cable (bought a 2nd hand phone and only came with a charger), so I had to use one of those one touch rooting programs. Was using Airdroid to copy files from laptop to SD card. No, not really a one touch.. it was called udp_1.zip.

These are the steps that I followed. The only thing I didn't follow was the Clockworkmod. That page didn't have any download links, so I went to the Maclaw Studio official page and downloaded it from there. Everything else I followed perfectly.

Are you sure you are in CWM or just the standard Sammy Bootloader? It should say CWM Version whatever up top. sometimes written in orange, sometimes written in blue

Clockworkmod is basically where you flash your ROM, its a hacked version of the phones factory bootloader, you simply can not flash any rom without CWM or similar (TeamWin is another)

Here is a guide I came across for getting just CWM on the phone : http://www.dialandroid.com/2011/12/how-to-install-clockworkmodcwm-on-s5830.html

I know you are probably fit to throw it out the window at this stage but 2 things I would do it I were you,

1. Try follow the Root/flash/CWM guide I left above on XDA - then

2. re-download the custom rom and GAPPS (From the XDA link above) and try flashing them....

• Advertisement

At the top it says "Android System Recorvery <3e>" and then under "Android System recovery utility". So it's probably just the default one. I'll follow those ones you had posted.

At the top it says "Android System Recorvery <3e>" and then under "Android System recovery utility". So it's probably just the default one. I'll follow those ones you had posted.

Sounds like your only in the standard android recovery atm alright.....

Try the clockwork one first, then the XDA Root/flash guide, then finally the ROM I linked....

Come back in an hour or two..... :)

If your stuck with this and are in or around or near Dublin ill give you a hand if needs be, ive flashed about 10 samsungs at this stage from GS2's - GS4's and even ****ty ones....

Id just say you aint got your clockwork installed correctly at the moment, thats all thats holding you back, once you get that your laughing....

Cheers for that.

Possibly a silly question - if I manage to get a micro-SD reader, hook it up to my laptop and then transfer the files to there like that, could it potentially work? Though I probably do just need to purchase a data cable anyways - annoying that my phone didn't come with one!

Cheers for that.

Possibly a silly question - if I manage to get a micro-SD reader, hook it up to my laptop and then transfer the files to there like that, could it potentially work? Though I probably do just need to purchase a data cable anyways - annoying that my phone didn't come with one!

It will yeah, you should have an adaptor for it in the box off the phone (if you still have it!) for at least getting the clockwork on - according to the guide above you do not need to be rooted in order to get Clockwork on there....

I actually never use cables on this stuff, always use an SD card adaptor and format my SD card through the PC, just makes things handier in this instance.... I would have assumed you were already using one to copy over the ROMS and GAPPS to the card?

Once you place your CWM on your card, it should be a matter of going to the default place (that you thought was cwm) and flashing that wee file, once that is on you can flash your rom, you probably wont even have to root it as the rom should come pre-rooted....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Thats default Android recovery. ...you need Clockwork Mod Recovery... you cant flash custom roms with default recovery.

Thats default Android recovery. ...you need Clockwork Mod Recovery... you cant flash custom roms with default recovery.

We've established that about 4 posts back anyway.... :)

Cheers for that.

Has your micro SD got an adaptor?? Like a bigger SD it plugs into?

It should work on your laptop as in there is normally a sd reader on a laptop..

We've established that about 4 posts back anyway.... :)

I see that.....like you..I'm in the field relying on bad tesco data...... just trying to he helpful.

I see that.....like you..I'm in the field relying on bad tesco data...... just trying to he helpful.

No worries man, sorry I didn't mean to sound harsh - any help is good when your stuck with stuff like this! :)

Tis a pity we can't activate a "fly on the wall cam" to see where he was going wrong and help him from there.... :)

I've still not ever managed to hardbrick a phone with all my years of fecking about with them yet, there was once with my gf's phone I was tinkering around with and couldn't get back on after a bad flash for the life of me, it took 3 days of reading different forums to eventually find a guide (In Italian) of what to do with about 60 lines of hard code into the Android SDK!

Think that was Android 1.6 days, seems like an age ago now.... :):)

Are you sure you are in CWM or just the standard Sammy Bootloader? It should say CWM Version whatever up top. sometimes written in orange, sometimes written in blue

Clockworkmod is basically where you flash your ROM, its a hacked version of the phones factory bootloader, you simply can not flash any rom without CWM or similar (TeamWin is another)

Here is a guide I came across for getting just CWM on the phone : http://www.dialandroid.com/2011/12/how-to-install-clockworkmodcwm-on-s5830.html

I know you are probably fit to throw it out the window at this stage but 2 things I would do it I were you,

1. Try follow the Root/flash/CWM guide I left above on XDA - then

2. re-download the custom rom and GAPPS (From the XDA link above) and try flashing them....

Just popped into town to get a micro-SD reader. Have followed the steps that you posted here and installed Clockworkmod. Rebooted the phone and it's still hanging on the Galaxy Ace screen. How long should it take? Has been maybe two minutes now. It seemed to have installed correctly as there were no errors.

Still nothing - have noticed that on the XDA guide for unrooting a phone, it gives a download link for Gingerbread firmware. If I download it, copy it to the micro-SD card, then install it from the recovery window, could it restore it to what it was before?

• Advertisement

Just popped into town to get a micro-SD reader. Have followed the steps that you posted here and installed Clockworkmod. Rebooted the phone and it's still hanging on the Galaxy Ace screen. How long should it take? Has been maybe two minutes now. It seemed to have installed correctly as there were no error
    s.

Still nothing - have noticed that on the XDA guide for unrooting a phone, it gives a download link for Gingerbread firmware. If I download it, copy it to the micro-SD card, then install it from the recovery window, could it restore it to what it was before?

Good,

now its time to actually install the ROM....

so go here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=39705497&postcount=2

Download whichever version of the ROM you want - (I would go with this one but its personal preference - http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23017610006233994

Also I see under the ROM there is Extras packages and GPS fixing packages, you can flash them after you do the rom.....

So next :

Boot into CWM Recovery
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Format /System
    Install zip from SD card / choose ROM zip from SD card
    Install zip from SD card / choose HOTFIX zip from SD card (this step is only needed if there is a hotfix)
    After installation reboot system now
    1st Boot take about 3 - 5 minutes (caches are generated in this time)

One thing it does say is - Dont flash any gapps packages!
    Install needed google apps from PlayStore!

So when you are signed in just download the apps that you need..... ie gmail, maps, etc etc

Just see your post edit there above, you can go back to the way you were if you want alright but at the moment you are not far off where you should be going at the moment, if this all goes tits up, we will have a look at returning the phone to the way you got it.....

OK, went back into recovery mode and did all the steps you had earlier (clockworkmod seems to have worked and was able to do those ones earlier).

Going to download susu-cm-10.1.0 that you have posted and try from there. I swear.. this better be worth all the hassle :pac: Here we go .. will report if everything fecks up. Cheers for your help so far!

OK, went back into recovery mode and did all the steps you had earlier (clockworkmod seems to have worked and was able to do those ones earlier).

Going to download susu-cm-10.1.0 that you have posted and try from there. I swear.. this better be worth all the hassle :pac: Here we go .. will report if everything fecks up. Cheers for your help so far!

You may need them fixes aswell, so flash them zips also DIRECTLY AFTER you have installed the ROM, and before you reboot the phone....so you reboot with the fixes applied (for the ROM to start)

When all that is done, you should just reboot from clockworkmod and boom, will take a little longer than normal to boot so dont be alarmed if its taking its time.... :)

OK, this is going to make me sound silly.. but when you say "flash" you mean install via SD card? Is the zip your referring to the susu-cm-10.1.0 one I just downloaded and the "ROM" the clockwork recovery one? Just want to 100% make sure I do everything right.

Have done nothing since I wiped data, cache partition, Dalvik cache, and battery stats. Have downloaded that zip and going to put it on my micro-SD card, then back into my phone - then install zip from SD card and select that susu-cm-10.1.0 one. Is that correct so far? Before I do anything.

OK, this is going to make me sound silly.. but when you say "flash" you mean install via SD card? Is the zip your referring to the susu-cm-10.1.0 one I just downloaded and the "ROM" the clockwork recovery one? Just want to 100% make sure I do everything right.

Have done nothing since I wiped data, cache partition, Dalvik cache, and battery stats. Have downloaded that zip and going to put it on my micro-SD card, then back into my phone - then install zip from SD card and select that susu-cm-10.1.0 one. Is that correct so far? Before I do anything.

Yup,

Copy all your zips over to the SD Card

Install the susu-cm-10.1.0 one first, followed by the fixes, and then reboot and it should start loading when the phone restarts.....

Sorry, just so used to saying "flash".... :P (I worked in phone repair for a few years!)

Now when this is done, and you enjoy what you have been missing - you will start getting the goo to flash other ones from XDA, bastardised versions of the shop way etc....

Now you have clockwork, its as easy as wiping data etc and installing the zip...

Always good to experiment with ROMS til you find one that suits you and your phone....

Good,

now its time to actually install the ROM....

so go here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=39705497&postcount=2

Download whichever version of the ROM you want - (I would go with this one but its personal preference - http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23017610006233994

Also I see under the ROM there is Extras packages and GPS fixing packages, you can flash them after you do the rom.....

So next :

Boot into CWM Recovery
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Format /System
    Install zip from SD card / choose ROM zip from SD card
    Install zip from SD card / choose HOTFIX zip from SD card (this step is only needed if there is a hotfix)
    After installation reboot system now
    1st Boot take about 3 - 5 minutes (caches are generated in this time)

One thing it does say is - Dont flash any gapps packages!
    Install needed google apps from PlayStore!

So when you are signed in just download the apps that you need..... ie gmail, maps, etc etc

Have followed these steps, but I couldn't find anything about additional zips and fixes (it's probably lost somewhere in there). It seems to have worked (has booted up properly and I'm just going through the initial set up). Do you think I should do those fixes anyways?

Have followed these steps, but I couldn't find anything about additional zips and fixes (it's probably lost somewhere in there). It seems to have worked (has booted up properly and I'm just going through the initial set up). Do you think I should do those fixes anyways?

Once you have done your setup - when you hold the power button to power off there maybe an option to Reboot to Recovery on the phone.... and you may be able to install them without issue, some ROMS are finicky though (it's up to the Dev) and dont allow installing after without ****ing up the whole install but 80% of the time you can patch it after the initial install....

Then if I were you I would install
    http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=13858085825318748404 GPS FIX - needed for maps/navigation if you use them

and

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23017610006234137 - Not sure what OEM Patched Services are but I assume that maybe they are the Samsung Programs ? Or Bloatware that comes in the phone by default? Not sure if you need them....

What software does it say you are running now? (Settings - > Android Version)

Android 4.2.2? or 4.1 or something?

4.2.2! Woo. Seems to be all working. Will do those fixes soon, thanks so much for you help!!

• Advertisement

4.2.2! Woo. Seems to be all working. Will do those fixes soon, thanks so much for you help!!

Nice one man, well done.....

Id go with the GPS one above quicker than the other one...

If you use Maps/Navigation etc....

Your phone is probably rooted now and everything so you can install rooted apps and the like....

And now its ready to go for experimenting aswell, so bookmark this page and make it your go to for all your phone messing - > http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1167

Now one more thing you could learn (if your arsed!) is Data2SD - which is for moving apps to an external partition of the SD Card so you fool your phone into thinking it has more space .... but that's a whole different kettle of fish, another schoolday as one would say.... :D

Enjoy your jellybeans.... :)

Advertisement