Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Bowling Green Car Park be converted into a Open air Market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nooo ... it would mean losing car-parks! Ref: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056938972

And likely to become quite dodgy at night if there aren't lots of people using the car-parks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Interesting point re Passive Security. How about updating the street lights in that area?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

And likely to become quite dodgy at night if there aren't lots of people using the car-parks there.

I'm struggling to make any sense out of that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think Mrs OB means that deserted car parks attract gangs of kids that get up to no good.
    I use that car park quite often so no, I don't think it should be used as something else. This is the entrance

I've been to a few canopy markets, they're nice but I'm not convinced Galway need another market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

yeah, not a bad idea.. if it doesn't work nothing permanently injured, it could just go back to being a nice car park

on that basis nothing would be tried in the interest of the vast majority in case a tiny minority of teenagers become rowdy. I suppose it's one model on how we should develop our society.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

People have tried to set up markets elsewhere but have been refused ie. a seven day market on Headford Rd http://gis.galwaycity.ie/PlanEnqLite/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=26a-10129&FromMap=True

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Isn't the obvious place for a market, be it artists, food or whatever the large space down by the docks where Funderland is now?

I think a great addition to Galway would be a space for artists, photographers, painters etc. displaying and selling their stuff. Throw in a few food stalls and a few other bits

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, the docks space would be great for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

dinneenp wrote: »
    Isn't the obvious place for a market, be it artists, food or whatever the large space down by the docks where Funderland is now?

I think a great addition to Galway would be a space for artists, photographers, painters etc. displaying and selling their stuff. Throw in a few food stalls and a few other bits

What about a small one on front of the Spanish arch, might stop it being used by drunken teenageers tourists.

• Advertisement

No way, its a very handy car park when you need to park near shop street etc or if you are leaving the car overnight on a saturday night when going out. Car parking is already hard enough to find its more spaces we need not less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

dinneenp wrote: »

Disagree I'm afraid. All the classic city centre markets that I can think of (Munich etc) are associated in some way with a pedestrian area or vehicle restricted zone.

The docks is separated from the rest of the city by two hostile - two lane - one way streets.

The whole idea of a market is that it is a place people can stroll around. I don't think the docks ticks those boxes.

Disagree I'm afraid. All the classic city centre markets that I can think of (Munich etc) are associated in some way with a pedestrian area or vehicle restricted zone.

Shop street is reasonably wide - would a Moore St/Henry St style market look out of place?

The docks is separated from the rest of the city by two hostile - two lane - one way streets.

The whole idea of a market is that it is a place people can stroll around. I don't think the docks ticks those boxes.

The docks is nearly as close to shop street as that car park and come on crossing a road is not going to stop anyone going down there, why on earth would it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

antoobrien wrote: »
    Shop street is reasonably wide - would a Moore St/Henry St style market look out of place?

It would have to be stuff on the stalls that is not sold in the shops. Otherwise there's be many objections. And Shop St is a good bit narrower imo. Half the character of Moore St was the semi-illegality of it for years, along with the odd bit of contraband at certain times of the year. Can't see it working here on Shop St tbh, just like it wouldn't have worked to the same extent on Grafton St (both more strolly/touristy streets than frantic powershop streets).

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

would prefer if it'd be made into a secure bike parking area. something like this would be nice. enough parking in the city but no secure bike parking facility.

bike park01.jpg

bike park.jpg

jkforde wrote: »
    on that basis nothing would be tried in the interest of the vast majority in case a tiny minority of teenagers become rowdy. I suppose it's one model on how we should develop our society.

Nope, that's not what I said.

People who live in Bowling Green already tell me that they never use the road beside Sally Longs if they're walking home alone at night.

There are many places around town where another market could be put, which wouldn't have the ASB issues which that particular tucked-away piece of space would have. Spanish Arch. The Docks. The area outside Supermacs on Eyre Square (there have been illegal traders there for yeears, recently the council started granting licences, but it's not full). Woodquay (which I think is the best option, actually)

We need to get smarter about building things in ways that actively discourage ASB, simply because it's such a problem here in Ireland.

And that's without even mentioning the vehicle access issues that traders woudl have with getting their stalls and goods along the narrow streets and into the Newtonsmith site. (You have seen the rigs that many of the folks at St Nicholas use, haven't you.)

And that's without even mentioning the vehicle access issues that traders woudl have with getting their stalls and goods along the narrow streets and into the Newtonsmith site. (You have seen the rigs that many of the folks at St Nicholas use, haven't you.)

It's the Bowling Green Car park - not the Newtonsmith site that is being suggested. There is far more room in Bowling Green area for vechicle's to manouver than at St Nicholas Church.

Re Dock's Site - is this land in public or private ownership? Reason for suggesting Bowling Green Car park is that the City Council own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It's the Bowling Green Car park - not the Newtonsmith site that is being suggested. There is far more room in Bowling Green area for vechicle's to manouver than at St Nicholas Church.

Re Dock's Site - is this land in public or private ownership? Reason for suggesting Bowling Green Car park is that the City Council own it.

Is the Bowling Green one not the same as the Newtownsmith one? It borders both. It is council owned.

The only other one nearby is the one next to the Connacht Tribune (granted it backs onto Bowling Green, but with no vehicular or pedestrian access), but isn't that privately owned? At least it was until recently.

churchview wrote: »
    Is the Bowling Green one not the same as the Newtownsmith one? It borders both. It is council owned.

The only other one nearby is the one next to the Connacht Tribune (granted it backs onto Bowling Green, but with no vehicular or pedestrian access), but isn't that privately owned? At least it was until recently.

Your right.
    Doh - I am wrong here I thought the Bowling Green car park was that opposite St Nicholas Church and the Newtownsmith car park was that opposite the Mercy Girls Secondary School. Realise now that the car park opposite St Nicholas Church on Market St is privately owned.

@Mrs OBumble I agree regarding Woodquay - would be a good location for a market - as you pointed vechicular access would be more suitable here.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    It would have to be stuff on the stalls that is not sold in the shops. Otherwise there's be many objections. And Shop St is a good bit narrower imo. Half the character of Moore St was the semi-illegality of it for years, along with the odd bit of contraband at certain times of the year. Can't see it working here on Shop St tbh, just like it wouldn't have worked to the same extent on Grafton St (both more strolly/touristy streets than frantic powershop streets).

It's not that much narrower, but I agree I don't think it would work. I don't see the attraction of these types of markets anyways, I remember being dragged down market st on a saturday morning until I was old enough to go hurling training, 'nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Bit off topic but apparently the Woodquay market is coming back for the Saturday of the Sea Festival.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

Also, I'm pretty sure that land is privately owned (although it may have been NAMAfied, I'm not sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I don't know if ye've noticed but Eyre Square (outside Supermacs), has a market, folk who had bought permits stopped using it so the traders with tacking (and tat!:o) started making their stalls bigger. Original pitches were tiny, you can see them painted on the ground still I think. It was mostly hippy jewelery sellers in the late 80's but they drifted off and I don't know what happened to their permits (issued by the local authority).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Greaney wrote: »
    I don't know if ye've noticed but Eyre Square (outside Supermacs), has a market, folk who had bought permits stopped using it so the traders with tacking (and tat!:o) started making their stalls bigger. Original pitches were tiny, you can see them painted on the ground still I think. It was mostly hippy jewelery sellers in the late 80's but they drifted off and I don't know what happened to their permits (issued by the local authority).

No it has stalls, anything but a market.

No it has stalls, anything but a market.

Ahh, what is a market if not an area with stalls in it?

Ahh, what is a market if not an area with stalls in it?

I must have higher expectations of a market than two stalls selling knock-off tat, more power to you if its your cuppa tae.

I must have higher expectations of a market than two stalls selling knock-off tat, more power to you if its your cuppa tae.

There are many definitions of the word market available, so I'll pick what looks like the most appropriate:

an open place or a building where buyers and sellers convene for the sale of goods

antoobrien wrote: »
    There are many definitions of the word market available, so I'll pick what looks like the most appropriate:

an open place or a building where buyers and sellers convene for the sale of goods

And i'll use this as my example of what a market is and should be.

http://www.milkmarketlimerick.ie/

• Advertisement

So kinda like this, then:

http://www.galwaymarket.com/

Advertisement