Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Ahem* slight rant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Sarky wrote: »
    Character assassinations are only ok when religious people make them, I suppose.

Well no, perhaps I let myself down a bit in my last post towards the mod, I'm a little tired and he made me a little angry, I dont know how well educated Dabes is and there's nothing wrong with being from a disadvantaged inner city area or having a level 5 qualification. I'm going to get some sleep and hopefully I can keep it more pleasant later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,876 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well I'll keep it simple and explain this as if you were a child

How patronising.
    It's notable though that the promoters of religion love getting it into the heads of small children at school, where they're taught that what the teacher says is true and to accept not question it.
    Having God is like having ice cream, there's no onus on me to prove to you I have ice cream and I dont care if you dont believe me that I have ice cream because the simple fact is I dont care what you think because I have ice cream and you dont.

It's not like that at all as we have proof of the existence of ice cream.
    Whether you have ice cream or not at any particular time is of no concern to me, and oddly enough there are no people trying to run society along the lines of promoting ice cream consumption and saying that non-eaters are bigots (John Waters), militants, hellbound, etc.

Change 'ice cream' to 'unicorn' or other mythical creature and see how you get on.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Ha very good.

Well I'll keep it simple and explain this as if you were a child - Having God is like having ice cream, there's no onus on me to prove to you I have ice cream and I dont care if you dont believe me that I have ice cream because the simple fact is I dont care what you think because I have ice cream and you dont.
    And if this ice cream didn't actually exist, you would be delusional.
    But whether it exists or not (aka, the truth) is as you say unimportant to you since it makes you feel good and feel superior, then there's little we can do to convince you that you are delusional.

The reason we don't believe in God is because we've critically evaluated the idea and found it nonsensical, unsupported and ultimately laughable.
    You however by your own admission, ignore any contradictions you can't explain, pretend that these contradictions and other arguments don't exist and then refuse to even think about them.

But hey, who cares about being intellectually dishonest and ignorant when you've got ice cream right?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ice cream can be seen, tasted and tested. No comparison with God whatsoever. Stupid comparison.

• Moderators Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Ha very good.

Well I'll keep it simple and explain this as if you were a child - Having God is like having ice cream, there's no onus on me to prove to you I have ice cream and I dont care if you dont believe me that I have ice cream because the simple fact is I dont care what you think because I have ice cream and you dont.

If you said you had ice-cream, someone could doubt it was the truth. But that being said they'd probably be willing to presume it was true because ice-cream is generally easy to buy in most shops.

When a religious person is able to provide such a level of evidence for the existence of a god, then the comparison would be appropriate.

Until then, you sit in the corner with no jelly and ice-cream as punishment for telling tall-tales :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Galvasean wrote: »
    Ice cream can be seen, tasted and tested. No comparison with God whatsoever. Stupid comparison.

He chose the 'Ice cream defence' over 'The Chewbacca defence'. It blew up in his face. Schoolboy error. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

You seem particularly overly non-religious, have you got 100% proof of no god or do you blindly believe what some scientist tells you?

xYXG04Tarodd3ii9tKOoCO3Co1_500.jpg

Ha, delightful sketch though perhaps a little ignorant to generalize on all religious folk, though if that's what you believe then I'll just have to politely and respectfully accept your opinion. Maybe a lesson to some that you don't have to gang up and bully somebody for having a different opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ah yes, the persecution complex, thread wouldn't be complete without it. So so predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Ha, delightful sketch though perhaps a little ignorant to generalize on all religious folk, though if that's what you believe then I'll just have to politely and respectfully accept your opinion. Maybe a lesson to some that you don't have to gang up and bully somebody for having a different opinion.

Lol and this is after you declare that all atheists are only atheist because they they it's "cool". :rolleyes:

We don't have to respect your opinion since you refuse to support it with any sort of argument or logic.
    Your opinion is silly and is not excused from critical examination.
    If you don't like you opinions being looked at an examined with logic, reason and basic critical thinking, then perhaps you should post them elsewhere where they would be sheltered from nasty stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I like what Orange two has to say about ganging up on other's.

A bit of a laugh is ok but a dog with a mallet up his a$$ knows well that their being ganged up on.

It's not good for people who are trying to get their message across,to be segregated by a bunch of ignorant tossers who still live in the land of knob.

If any of the know it all non believers text some of their correct mind boggling Queens English into a radio station I'm sure ye wouldn't get much air time.

I was bored there one eve and I copied and pasted some of the atheists posts and re pasted them onto Google and did a search lads your not pulling the wool over my eyes.

A lot of it is second hand information.

Is there any chance the clones can assimilate back to originality.

God is Good

Ah yes, the persecution complex, thread wouldn't be complete without it. So so predictable.

It looks like this thread has turned into you just tryin to point score, no point discussing matters further.

Northclare wrote: »
    I like what Orange two has to say about ganging up on other's.

A bit of a laugh is ok but a dog with a mallet up his a$$ knows well that their being ganged up on.

It's not good for people who are trying to get their message across,to be segregated by a bunch of ignorant tossers who still live in the land of knob.

If any of the know it all non believers text some of their correct mind boggling Queens English into a radio station I'm sure ye wouldn't get much air time.

I was bored there one eve and I copied and pasted some of the atheists posts and re pasted them onto Google and did a search lads your not pulling the wool over my eyes.

God is Good

x8QXr.jpg

Atheists still can't convince me God doesn't exist.

They can't have a normal slagging match.

They come up with the same old "It's not logical" sure 20 years ago smart phones were not logical.

Atheists and Believers are the same side of the one coin with out God there would be no atheists so lads thank God your Atheists.

Now lads can ye just admit It's cool amongst your god fearing buddies to be atheists :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

I tip my hat to you Northclare. Although i don't agree at all with your reactionary generalised views on the posters here, the statement below is quite possibly the funniest thing i've ever read on boards.ie:)
    Kudos!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

a bunch of ignorant tossers who still live in the land of knob.
    You've been carded for that unhelpful comment. Please check out the forum charter before you post here again. Thanks.
    I like what Orange two has to say about ganging up on other's. [...] the clones
    Please hold with respect to these two accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Did any of you really expect, posting religious superstitious stuff on a forum mostly composed of atheists and agnostics, plenty of whom are scientifically inclined, that there would be plenty of people supportive of your posts? You're not being ganged up on. But everyone here is individually calling bullsh*t on poor arguments. If you feel you're being ganged up on, that's quite frankly your problem. Anyone unwilling to have someone disagree with them should probably have their mouth permanently sewn shut.

Well yes, but whenever we point this out, they get all uppity and go on about persecution and close-mindedness because we don't agree with them.

I think you'll find that easy to read text generally gets read more often. And you'll have a much better chance if you drop the snide insults.

You're doing a damn fine job yourself. Do you expect there's to be as many correct ways of explaining something as there are ways of getting it wrong? That's not how it works, and you know it.
    There's little need to go discovering evolution or gravity more than once. When an argument is correct, why change it?

God is Good

The first sentence makes no sense. The second is merely incorrect.

Thanks LOL but I just got a message I could be barred for that Slight Rant.

It's better than a rabbit with a cracker on its head LOL

I'm well able to take it and give it but bar me Lol :)

Atheists still can't convince me God doesn't exist.

They can't have a normal slagging match.

They come up with the same old "It's not logical" sure 20 years ago smart phones were not logical.

Atheists and Believers are the same side of the one coin with out God there would be no atheists so lads thank God your Atheists.

Now lads can ye just admit It's cool amongst your god fearing buddies to be atheists :)

Weren't logical how?

Humans are discovering that we can achieve anything! Science FICTION is rapidly becoming science FACT! You may notice that it's science that's behind our advances, not religion.

Smart phones are way ahead of the tricorder's used in the old Star Trek. (There's even a tricorder app)

I have my very own editor now.

I love you guy's.

:)

• Advertisement

I have my very own editor now.

I love you guy's.

:)

Smartphones were always perfectly logical. Just because the technology wasn't small enough to make one 20 years ago doesn't change that. they're actually a direct consequence of logic.

Try again, this is fun!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Thanks LOL but I just got a message I could be barred for that Slight Rant.
    Please read your warning message more closely -- you've been carded for your unhelpful comment above. Your next violation of the forum charter will see you receiving a red card. The next after that will see you banned. You may appeal any moderator decision in the dispute resolution forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Maybe a lesson to some that you don't have to gang up and bully somebody for having a different opinion.

Disagreeing is not the same as bullying.
    It's better than a rabbit with a cracker waffle on its head LOL

FYP :pac:

To get back on topic somewhat as we've seem to get side tracked in some crazy tangent.

Why does god allow bad things to happen?

Well i don't know, things just happen, i can't explain most things but i just accept that they are what they are. Science can't prove we evolved from apes, science can't prove how the earth was formed.

Sure there are theories but i think people believe these scientists and their whack job theories a little too much. Just think these scientists thought the earth was flat, Just shows 'science' can be wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

What pisses me off about some Atheists is that they seem to come to the conclusion of there being no god or super natural due to the fact that horrible things are allowed to happen in the world without any divine intervention.
    But some people say the likes of the USA (stay with me on this, I'm not trying to say the USA is a God:pac:) should not interfere in a country like Libya and let the civilization there overcome the regime.
    If there is a super natural perhaps it's similar thinking.

It's also the same on the nature channels where humans try not to interfere with wildlife as it could upset the habitat.
    That's an interesting way to look at it, although the obvious counter argument is sometimes humans do interfere with wildlife with positive results (wildlife reserves and the like).
    Sarky wrote: »
    But you know why he sits back and allows obscene horrors happen to most of the world, right? You understand why it's ok for him to be the leading cause of abortions worldwide ever since a living creature could get pregnant? If you have explanations for why god acts exactly like utterly unmagical natural processes with no concern at all for what people actually believe, we'd love to hear them.

Are you one of those people who automatically skips over Concern ads without looking at them in case you see something?

There's a serious amount of facepalm in this thread. To all you "If God exists, why does he allow bad stuff to happen" type athiests, I have two words for you:

FREE WILL

Before yougo dissing an entire facet of life unique to humans since we were intelligent enough to believe there might be an afterlife, at least learn a bit about it.

Um, I'm not sure you quite aware of what science can and cannot do. And frankly OH DEAR at "whack job theory" and the flat earth bit. Please, read up a little bit on what constitutes scientific theory, and the history behind the whole flat earth thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

My mind has been blown by the original, intelligent and well thought out arguements by our theistic friends and I will be converting to their belief system of choice forthwith.

..........meanwhile, in this dimension.......

newmug wrote: »

FREE WILL

That doesn't hold up either. Could you try following that all the way to its logical conclusion?

Also, you can make do with just one set of size tags...
    Before yougo dissing an entire facet of life unique to humans since we were intelligent enough to believe there might be an afterlife, at least learn a bit about it.

That's the problem. We HAVE learned about it. And it's crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This thread is a...

129067241946953993.jpg

Advertisement