Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Total Recall (Remake)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    On the decent remake very short list I'd like to include True Grit, very good indeed.
    Little Shop of Horrors too, albeit going back somewhat.
    The remake of Hairspray was good, ditched the counter culture stuff though but was entertaining.

Don't forget John Carpenter's The Thing in that list too;) . Went to see it myself at the weekend. It was a run of the mill sci-fi movie. not good, not bad just easily forgettable. Thought the whole "keep digging until you come out of the other side of the planet" concept or as they like to call it "reverse gravity" was really, really dumb. Also the chase scene reminded me like i was watching someone playing one of the uncharted video games on the PS3. Dunno whether that is a testament to how shoddy the CGI was or how good video game animation and graphics has become. I'd like to think it was the latter:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Thing, the prequel to John Carpenters The Thing, was not as bad as some portrayed it.
    History may be kinder, I feel, and it pretty much did form a remake of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

It was bad and the major changes were bad.

It was the most retarded attempt at an invasion ever. All someone needed to do was drop a big rock down the hole through the centre of the earth to disable the fall and smash incoming troops. It seemed like they thought bombing that blatant choke point would seem clever or climactic, rather than hugely predictable and lame. I thought maybe the first wave would be a surprise attack, which would seal off the landing area, but no: A formal declaration of war before they set out, and lots of Australians milling about at the dock. So dumb it hurt.
    they have a massive troop presence already in the colony, so they secured the location till the robots arrived,

but yeah it did seem kind of stupid that the folks in oz were going about their daily life as the fall arrived, maybe the transmissions werent sent to oz, and therefore they didnt know the troops were coming, and sure it only takes 17 minutes for the fall to get there,

if people want to know every detail why dont you ask the studios to add another 2 hours to the film so they can explain every detail, and then they can make a 3 hour documentary on the construction of the fall:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Thing, the prequel to John Carpenters The Thing, was not as bad as some portrayed it.
    History may be kinder, I feel, and it pretty much did form a remake of sorts.
    I got the impression nobody went to see it anyway; and yes, it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. It's worst crime was almost slavishly copying the major beats & pulse of the Carpenter film, at the expense of the humanity that made the 80s film such a classic. So in that sense it was definitely more of a remake than the likes of Total Recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Saw it earlier on a whim, and have to say I enjoyed it - doesn't necessarily make it a great movie, but it was decent and what it lacked in the storyline department was propped up by the rock solid visuals.

I wouldn't bother comparing it to the original, it's an entirely different film save for a few homages and the same foundation. Wasn't expecting the infamous tri-boob scene in a 12A rated film either :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't a great movie. Went back and forth between the 2 places too often for no reason, in my opinion.

Did find it funny that a movie based on a short story that was already adapted is produced by a company called Original Film.

So apart from tri-boob and "Two weeks" woman, were there any other references?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

pixelburp wrote: »
    I got the impression nobody went to see it anyway; and yes, it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. It's worst crime was almost slavishly copying the major beats & pulse of the Carpenter film, at the expense of the humanity that made the 80s film such a classic. So in that sense it was definitely more of a remake than the likes of Total Recall.

The Thing was marketed as being a prequel first and foremost. Alas, as you said the writers made the mistake of copying the original in a totally unforgivable way (even down to the malfunctioning flamethrowers :( ). They also completley changed the personaility of the creature, having it actively attack and pursue the humans whereby in the original, the titular beasty just wanted to hide. Having said all that, I still give the edge to the curates egg that was The Thing over the Total Recall mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Big giant meh, looked nice in places, its a mishmash of Blade Runner and Minority Report, Kate Beckinsale looks like she's having a laugh being the villain, couple of ok setpieces, ultimately pointless. Its everything thats wrong with modern blockbuster filmmaking wrapped up in one 2hr movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CJ_

The worst film I've seen this year by far. And I include Battleships in that!

Terrible dialogues, one dimensional characters, zero emotion and I can't remember the Farreller being so bad in any film before.

They didn't explain things very well as regards the colony and UK (forget its exact name), just kind of brushed over it - not hugely important and you still get the gist, but still, guess I was just looking for an actual story! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They seemed to miss the point of having the heroine be the polar opposite of the wife, Beckinsale and Biel look pretty similar. Didnt like how the ambiguity of whether Quaid was still in Rekall or not was removed either, that was the whole point of the original that you didnt know if it was real or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The original is just started on ITV 2 if anyone is interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jonjon1977

I think what made the original such a classical was the humour. This new version completed lacked that, and it also had a very genre future world (i.e. production design). Horrible film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CJ_

jonjon1977 wrote: »
    I think what made the original such a classical was the humour. This new version completed lacked that, and it also had a very genre future world (i.e. production design). Horrible film.

Exactly.

The original is very tongue in cheek and doesn't take itself too seriously at all.

They tried to make a different film here and failed miserably.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I actually enjoyed the "remake", sure it's not going to win any awards or reinvent the sci-fi/action film genre, but it's a solid popcorn action film and it gets Bryan Cranston on the big screen which is a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Aganica

its total crap.

Id prefer to watch an abortion :eek:

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Summary: Vacant, pointless, movie. Don't bother.

(although my commentary may be shaded by the fact i can't stand Kate Beckinsale, and that i think Wiseman is an utterly horrendous director)

CastorTroy wrote: »

So apart from tri-boob and "Two weeks" woman, were there any other references?

One of the clone-trooper-clones looses his arms Richter style. Other than that, can't remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Aganica

Aganica wrote: »
    its total crap.

Id prefer to watch an abortion :eek:

:rolleyes:
    wernstrom! wrote: »
    Summary: Vacant, pointless, movie. Don't bother.

My review was better. GO AWAY:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Saw it earlier on a whim, and have to say I enjoyed it - doesn't necessarily make it a great movie, but it was decent and what it lacked in the storyline department was propped up by the rock solid visuals.

I wouldn't bother comparing it to the original, it's an entirely different film save for a few homages and the same foundation. Wasn't expecting the infamous tri-boob scene in a 12A rated film either :p

Woohoo! a positive review. \o/

I'm still hopeful that it isn't as bad as people are saying. Might wait until it's released on itunes to be safe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

It doesn't matter how rubbish a film is... SOMEONE is bound to find it 'enjoyable.' Don't waste your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

wernstrom! wrote: »

One of the clone-trooper-clones looses his arms Richter style. Other than that, can't remember.

I was thinking that happened, but then thought was only 1 arm. And just didn't work without "See you at the party, Richta!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Mediocre.

Nothing worse in life or filmmaking*

*death and poverty obviously are worse, but as far as personal ambition and striving to put your neck out. So forgettable.

Len Wiseman, just because you move the camera all over the shop and make the film look like some Blade Runner knock off, does not mean it's top notch filmmaking.

STORY and CHARACTER. End of. Get that right, then you can do all the fancy dan stuff your heart desires.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

The movie should have had Johnny Cab.

Annoying knowing what the story would be as you were watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Actually liked this. Thought it was quite decent. I'm one of those who doesn't consider the original any sort of classic really, it's a good film but gets a ridiculous amount of praise for a pretty cringe worthy film at times.

But as someone said, it's not gonna win any sort of awards but I enjoyed it anyway. Beckinsale is good, nice mean streak to her in this. Biel is pretty forgettable really, she offers very little to this and any number of actresses could have played that part. Thought they should have expanded on the story a lot, and that criticism is quite fair definitely. Thought Farrell was a good fit for the role overall.

Oh, and a particular thumbs up to the knee slide by Beckinsale, oh Colin you lucky bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Corholio wrote: »
    Oh, and a particular thumbs up to the knee slide by Beckinsale, oh Colin you lucky bugger.
    wasnt fun and games at all id say, especially with her husband behind the camera:o, also a bit of favoritism id say between her and biels characters:D

must say dredd did a better job, using a character people kinda knew but doing something completely different to their last big screen outing, i know there probably isnt anywhere near the amount of material for very different type of rekall film, but after watching dredd i think they could have tried harder with rekall,

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Mother Duck

118 minutes of cinema and the most impressive thing on screen was a touch screen fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Saw this last wedensday, 5euro day in Odeon yes please :D, wasnt bad but wasnt excesively brilliant either imho, good effects, great characters and street scenes, kept the story going without much of a lull etc, not a bad ending :)
    But then again I went to see Dark Knight rises again after that that same day, so thats definitly going to be in my head more than most movies anyway :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I just finished watching this ... *cough* wont say how *cough* :pac:

And its not as bad as people say. Its actually enjoyable. Just check your brain at the start and realise you have got the timeless classic of Total Recall (1990) and then this.... Take it for what it is and you'll be entertained.

To go into further detail, I love the original Total Recall. One of my favourite movies. But upon hearing this was not going to be set on mars, let alone "another hollywood remake" - I let my expectations drop and as such enjoyed it. Do the same and you might just like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Watched it last night.

Did not enjoy.

Would not watch again.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

What an awful film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

TWAS ****E!

Advertisement