Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Grayditch wrote: »
    Their breakfast cerials are kinda rubbish.
    Lidl's low-sugar muesli is great, and can be about 1/3 of the price of the established brands. Throw in a banana or some berries for a perfect breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MrSing

I would never buy a wheelchair in aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

So much salt and glucose-fructose syrup in their stuff. You know you're just getting the hoof meat, in your burgers, too, they taste a bit crap.

Aldi sell the same steak that is supplied to Superquinn. Their burgers won the Taste of Ireland awards last year. Their bog-standard chicken is shít, but its the same tasteless protein that they sell in all the other supermarket chains. They also sell free-range chicken, their specially selected rashers and sausages are better than the wholesale crap that most 'craft' butchers buy, and their range of cured meats are of very high quality.

They stock more Irish produced goods than any other supermarket chain, and the quality of the vast majority of their goods is far superior to those supplied by other chains. It's selling high-quality goods at reasonable prices, and dispensing with most of the enormous costs involved with marketing and advertising branded goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've had one type of their burgers (I think they have 3) which were awful, and a fair bit of their chicken, but I guess that might have been a bit harsh to assume the rest was terrible.

I do buy the sliced chorizo the odd time, and it's nicer than a lot of the ones from Spar, Dunnes etc, and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Lidl's low-sugar muesli is great, and can be about 1/3 of the price of the established brands. Throw in a banana or some berries for a perfect breakfast.

I laughed at loud that you (with your user name) quoted my cereal complaint.

Sorry :/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Stiffler2 wrote: »

Food

You got in early with that one.

On topic, Aldi/Lidl stuff is great. Can't fault it, and it saves us maybe €80 per month.

Confab wrote: »
    You got in early with that one.

On topic, Aldi/Lidl stuff is great. Can't fault it, and it saves us maybe €80 per month.

I'm just concerned that I could morph into the Hulk after eating sub standard chicken feed.

that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MiseryCat

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi...

My sister won't buy their pizzas ,they shrink and toppings evaporate. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

But the problem is they don'y have any options without glucose fructose syrup in a lot of items. They have no jam without tonns of that stuff. I try stay away from anything with GFS in it, so at least Dunnes has lots of options without that stuff.

of course they do - you just need to read the labels. There is plenty of choice. Believe me I wouldn't be shopping there otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

of course they do - you just need to read the labels. There is plenty of choice. Believe me I wouldn't be shopping there otherwise.

Are you being paid by lidl and aldi or something?? Why cant you just accept that some people dont like the products they sell?

Irishchick wrote: »
    Are you being paid by lidl and aldi or something?? Why cant you just accept that some people dont like the products they sell?

I agree with you IrishChick, first they shove their money down our throats, now they want to shove their food down our throats.

i couldn't care less who goes there or who doesn't - that is a personal choice. There's no need to get so narky - everyone is entitled to post their own experience. My experience is, that there is plenty of choice in Lidl - if you don't like that you don't have to read it. :D:D:D

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I agree with you IrishChick, first they shove their money down our throats, now they want to shove their food down our throats.

ahh stiffler, that's not true. I don't shove "their" money down throats - I save it all up and go on a two week sun holiday every year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Buy most of my food in Aldi (Sandyford), find it much better than the local Lidl. Dont know why people are giving out about the coffee, there ground coffee (the blue one) is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Ghandee wrote: »
    Can I ask why?

I have a sore guilty pleasure for Tesco's groceries.

Never enjoyed the stuff in Lidl/Aldi, maybe one day when I learn to appreciate less processed food.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

*lol
    If you don't like the taste, just say so.
    There's no need to go inventing other reasons to look more sophisitcated, this is AH after all....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

karaokeman wrote: »
    I have a sore guilty pleasure for Tesco's groceries.

Never enjoyed the stuff in Lidl/Aldi, maybe one day when I learn to appreciate less processed food.

You might be onto something... their ready-meals aren't great. I've tried one or two a good while back.
    But as I tend to do a lot of cooking and am not all that keen on processed food, that really doesn't bother me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't know how people can complain about Lidl's bread as it's baked in store all day and is nice and fresh.

Unless you're a "Brennan's" bread person.

Good bread is very hard to get in Ireland.

Also coffee.....people saying their instant coffee is poor makes me laugh.

Don't see anything wrong with their veg or chicken fillets or millk.

So you believe everything they tell you? Their bread isn't fresh - they buy in readymade rolls and reheat them today and then tomorrow and probably the next day. Have you actually ever seen any freshly baked bread?

Their milk and eggs say fresh Irish milk/ eggs but at best they come from Northern Ireland - check out the UK stamp on their 'Irish' eggs. I used think they were OK but in fact they're a way bigger rip-off than Tesco. Has anyone noticed that Tesco prices have come down with the recession but Lidl prices stay the same or increase. Why do people still shop there for substandard products that are no longer sold at bargain priced??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Butter, their home cheap brand smells like cheesy vomit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

For the tool users out there, Lidls tools are excellent - they do a twin cylinder air compressor for around €200 that is better than the €600 "industrial" ones you get elsewhere, their socket sets are tough and durable, the mixers, drills, grinders, saws etc are top notch(I use them at work and give them to my workers to use[they laughed initially and called me a mingy b0ll0x] and they last and last. The Aldi power tools are not so good...cough, toys, cough but they do good enough spanner sets...
    I used to love Lidls bratwurst sausages but the feckers stopped stocking them for some reason. My kids are p1ssed, they used to eat them non-stop. If ye are reading this, Lidl buyers(which they will be doing), get the Bratwurst back in, pls:) BTW, I've done a sh1tload of work for Lidl as a company and they keep their premises(and warehouses) spotless and are scrupulous about food hygiene. I like that and it makes me confident buying their stuff. I can't say the same for every food supplier and I've worked in most of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

mummymoo wrote: »
    the only thing i dont buy in there is shampoo (because they dont sell the one i use) and nappies, there shocking! everything else is great!

You're joking? The Lidl nappies are fab, better than Pampers in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Furzy wrote: »
    So you believe everything they tell you? Their bread isn't fresh - they buy in readymade rolls and reheat them today and then tomorrow and probably the next day. Have you actually ever seen any freshly baked bread?

Their milk and eggs say fresh Irish milk/ eggs but at best they come from Northern Ireland - check out the UK stamp on their 'Irish' eggs. I used think they were OK but in fact they're a way bigger rip-off than Tesco. Has anyone noticed that Tesco prices have come down with the recession but Lidl prices stay the same or increase. Why do people still shop there for substandard products that are no longer sold at bargain priced??

Wow,you registered 9 years ago & this is your first post?

Regarding the bread,Cuisine de France have been doing this for years,the bakery in my local Lidl has to restock the shelves several times a day as the bread flies off the shelves.

zerks wrote: »
    Wow,you registered 9 years ago & this is your first post?
    Tesco sleepers have great patience. :D Wait for it, no, no, wait for it...now, go gettem Furby!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

i would try most things from there but i dont think id give my dog the dog food..

i would try most things from there but i dont think id give my dog the dog food..
    because??..... You're in a serious minority-I see the volumes of dog and cat food transhipping through the warehouse and it is absolutely mind bogglingly huge -thousands upon thousands of pet owners seem to like it for their animals:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd refuse to buy milk or bread from aldi goes off a bit too quick and tastes not great compared to Lidl find some food better there than aldi, what ever it is about aldi I get an upset tummy from some food from it rather than from lidl. Prefer lidl food there. Would buy most things in lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

theres a sunflower seed bread they sell in Lidl that you cant get anywhere else, its baked fresh every day. I think SuperQuinn bakes from scratch, not sure about LIDL, they prob get it in half baked like cusine de france, its defintely not reheated every day

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭lamoss

All the major supermarkets and convenieince stores use pre cooked dough for their bread. When was the last time you saw a mixer behind the counter?
    cusine de france, arrives in boxes of ready to heat rolls or buns as do tescos and lidl............look closley at what you buy.........look at the bottom of rolls and you will see the dimples of when it was on the production lines and then packed into chilled containers or sealed into nitrogen sealed packs to preserve the contents.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Why do people refuse to buy some stuff from lidl/aldi?

because 80% of the stuff I ever bought in the centre isles of Lidl was rubbish. Bought a pair of jeans for gardening there once, the flimsy little zip broke the 2nd time they were used. Bought tools that were s***e, bought snorkeling mask that leaked and their customer service is worse than useless. Some of their food is ok though, but because of the overall experience I would not shop there anymore.

Advertisement