Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club Championships

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ballyboden's interplay and fitness levels were superb as you'd expect with a side who won the Dublin club championship and they were more than deserving champions. I wonder how Clonmel feel tonight though or Portlaoise who missed a tap over free at the death against them in the Leinster final.

That's what I was thinking, bb today were better than I've ever seen them. They made so few mistakes .
    Castlebar worked so hard for scores

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    But why? Recently in a final and have beaten All Ireland Champions this year. Gave Vincents a much better game

Just the occasion getting to them, looked worse than they are during a club final.
    But I changed my mind RSF I'm closer now to thinking Castlebar were expecting it to be easier and never recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

That was the most pathetic final performance I've ever seen from a team. Castlebar were gutless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stoner wrote: »
    Just the occasion getting to them, looked worse than they are during a club final.
    But I changed my mind RSF I'm closer now to thinking Castlebar were expecting it to be easier and never recovered.

Don't agree at all that the occasion got to them. They were in the final 2 years ago. There were a lot of lads on that Ballyboden team, who have little to no experience of playing Croke Park. The likes of MDMA, Durcan, Keaney do, the majority of the squad don't. But you've changed your mind, so I'm not sure now, if I am agreeing with you or disagreeing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

You are the answer to my lonely prayer
    You are an angel from above
    I was so lonely till you came to me
    With the wonder of your love

I don't know how I ever lived before
    You are my life
    My destiny
    Oh, my darling
    I love you so
    You mean everything to me

If you should ever, ever go away
    There would be lonely tears to cry
    The sun above would be never shine again
    There would be teardrops in the sky

So hold me close and never let me go
    And say our love will always be
    Oh, my darling
    I love you so
    You mean everything to me (you mean everything to me)

Oh, my darling
    I love you so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Castlebar threw it away against a limited Balleyboden side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Syferus wrote: »

2-3 scored in the first 15 mins says otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Whatever you think about BB, Castlebar never had it to throw away.

salmocab wrote:
    They threw the opportunity away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

salmocab wrote: »

Aye the limitations on display yesterday weren't in a BB jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Joekers wrote: »
    You are the answer to my lonely prayer
    You are an angel from above
    I was so lonely till you came to me
    With the wonder of your love

I don't know how I ever lived before
    You are my life
    My destiny
    Oh, my darling
    I love you so

If you should ever, ever go away
    There would be lonely tears to cry
    The sun above would be never shine again
    There would be teardrops in the sky

Oh, my darling
    I love you so
    You mean everything to me (you mean everything to me)

Oh, my darling
    I love you so

Are you the Castlebar sports psychologist ?

Might be better off going back to the oul throwing chairs against walls and calling fellas useless conts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

It's difficult to critically analyse the looser without seeming to discredit the Victor. BB deserve every and all credit for their campaign sure they had some good fortune along the way but they used it. Castlebar were rightfully favourites yesterday but their under performance matched anything shown by the county team over the years. Why it was that way is a mystery to me, the minimum requirement of any team at any level is effort but even that seemed to be lacking yesterday. BB are not limited if they were they would not be AI champions and they showed huge hunger but Castlebar are every bit as good unfortunately like a lot of Mayo teams the fail to produce on the biggest stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Both games were disappointing with early goals taking the wind out of both losers. Na Piarsiagh were the much better team but Cushendall missed a fair few points in the first half to keep the pressure up.
    Castlebar just didn't show up, BB were walking through there defense all day and looked like they were chasing goals from the start.

Good day out in general and great crowd turned up, seen a lot more tourists there than other years but heard a lot giving out about ticket prices but €25 seemed ok to me considering I would be paying €15 at intermediate club games at home.

It was more than that though ultra imo. for example there is a lack of height in the bb backs , it was not exploited, we've seen Barry Moran perform for mayo to a far higher standard than he produced yesterday in the semi final last year in CP for example
    The BB attack play was nice and varied yesterday and it was hard for Castlebar to concentrate their best defenders on a focal point, yesterday was a big opportunity for Kirby to show why so many think he should start for mayo and he was wrapped up.

At one stage I can't remember who carried the ball forward but we were on the canal end, and the two Castlebar corner forwards split perfectly left and right to get a pass or draw the play out. The guy puts a high ball into the smallest forward Stephen Kane (?) when the ball to the right would have been to a man bigger than his marker Kirby I think with Dwan on him. It should have been at least a point

I didn't see anyone pick that nippy little corner forward out with a ball that suited him yesterday, he made plenty of runs, the only ball he got was 50 50.

I'll finish up posting here now but the gap imo yesterday (scoreboard aside) was shown by the amount of blocks and throwing themselves in front of the ball that bb did compared to Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The performance by the lads yesterday was sublime. Each man won their personal battle. When you see your defenders putting 6 points on the board it's always going to be a good day

Nonsense. You can't throw something away, if it was never in your grasp to begin with. CM never came close to making that a competitive game of football, never mind actually winning it. The game was over the very minute the first BB goal rattled the onion sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Stoner wrote: »
    It was more than that though ultra imo. for example there is a lack of height in the bb backs , it was not exploited, we've seen Barry Moran perform for mayo to a far higher standard than he produced yesterday in the semi final last year in CP for example
    The BB attack play was nice and varied yesterday and it was hard for Castlebar to concentrate their best defenders on a focal point, yesterday was a big opportunity for Kirby to show why so many think he should start for mayo and he was wrapped up.

At one stage I can't remember who carried the ball forward but we were on the canal end, and the two Castlebar corner forwards split perfectly left and right to get a pass or draw the play out. The guy puts a high ball into the smallest forward Stephen Kane (?) when the ball to the right would have been to a man bigger than his marker Kirby I think with Dwan on him. It should have been at least a point

I didn't see anyone pick that nippy little corner forward out with a ball that suited him yesterday, he made plenty of runs, the only ball he got was 50 50.

I'll finish up posting here now but the gap imo yesterday (scoreboard aside) was shown by the amount of blocks and throwing themselves in front of the ball that bb did compared to Castlebar.

Yes that last line about the blocks sums it up, real hunger. And the amount of high ball in on top of Durkan? Big strong keeper, sure he loved it. Castlebar for some reason looked unprepared for a dog fight and when they found themselves in one could not find a plan. It's dissapointing and I'm sure the players and staff will have sleepless months over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don't agree with the new dates for the all Ireland finals (December).it's a tradition to have a few pints and watch the club finals on Paddy's day. It will not be Same

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Don't agree with the new dates for the all Ireland finals (December).it's a tradition to have a few pints and watch the club finals on Paddy's day. It will not be Same

Are the dates official ?

What are they ?

Unless the game is December 25th you will still be able to have a few pints :)

The current structure is a shambles. It is very unfair on the players, for their season to drag on for 11 months. I don't know about the other counties involved, but the first round of Dublin's club championship starts up again in 4 1/2 weeks. BB get a break of 4 weeks, then they are right back up on the saddle again. That is very unfair on them. Get the club champo done and dusted in one calendar year and let these amateur athletes have a proper off season. Expecting them to continue with the current deranged schedule, just so we have something to watch or do on Paddy Day is selfish imo.

• Advertisement

• €25 seemed ok to me

€20. Was in the Lower Hogan (332). Good value I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The current structure is a shambles. It is very unfair on the players, for their season to drag on for 11 months. I don't know about the other counties involved, but the first round of Dublin's club championship starts up again in 4 1/2 weeks. BB get a break of 4 weeks, then they are right back up on the saddle again. That is very unfair on them. Get the club champo done and dusted in one calendar year and let these amateur athletes have a proper off season. Expecting them to continue with the current deranged schedule, just so we have something to watch or do on Paddy Day is selfish imo.

Yeah, the only thing is the alternative is probably to have them in November or December. At least the pitches are starting to harden up and I don't think the conditions were any excuse for poor matches. But a match in the mud of winter can be dire to watch.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Yeah, the only thing is the alternative is probably to have them in November or December. At least the pitches are starting to harden up and I don't think the conditions were any excuse for poor matches. But a match in the mud of winter can be dire to watch.

And what about the semi finals in February? Pitches are in far worse shape in February, than they are Nov/Dec. We only need to make room for two more rounds of games, the semi finals and final. It's not like we are trying to reschedule the entire World Cup. Right now, having a three month gap between the 4 provincial finals and the final on Paddy Day is madness.

A couple of years ago, I remember reading a Twitter exchange between Paul Galvin and one of the Dubs. (I forget which Dub it was exactly. It may have been Mossy Quinn.) Anyway, Galvin's Finuge club had just won the Intermediate Munster champo. The Dub's club had won the Leinster champo.

Christmas was just around the corner and, they were both thoroughly browned off that they couldn't even enjoy their Christmas, as they were preparing themselves to be playing in a game two or three months away.

Hearing the players involved talking about it, really brought it home, how crazy the whole situation is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

All those poor Dublin superclubs. My heart bleeds... maybe don't have 20 odd clubs in your senior championship and you'd not need most of the year to run it off!

The Dublin club championship is not the bad guy here. It is straight knock out. The first round is late April. The second round will be early May. We will already be down to the last 8, when the club season resumes. At least we have an excuse for only resuming our club champo in early October. What reason do the counties have, when they were knocked out of the AI series in July and August, but they are only playing their county finals on Halloween?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin clubs should only be allowed have maximum one team per grade. Anyone applying to join after that should be given the address of the nearest soccer or rugby club.

If there's one thing we do not need it is thousands of kids playing hurling, football and camogie.

It is not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ProudDUB wrote: »

I have heard this argument.

It's four clubs. Just four. Out of thre entire country.

If my club was ever to get that far, the buzz and excitement it would generate would be remembered for a lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

If you were to ask the BB lads about going back in 4 weeks I'd say they wouldn't make nd😉. Can someone define a superclub? Is it size, success, longevity, organisational skills or some mystic super powers?????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ArielAtom wrote: »
    If you were to ask the BB lads about going back in 4 weeks I'd say they wouldn't make nd😉. Can someone define a superclub? Is it size, success, longevity, organisational skills or some mystic super powers?????

the clubhouse has a cape hanging behind its back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I have heard this argument.

It's four clubs. Just four. Out of thre entire country.

If my club was ever to get that far, the buzz and excitement it would generate would be remembered for a lifetime

Doesn't matter for footballing superpowers like Dublin and Kerry but when we were missing our Brigids players until February and March every year and them coming back in weary set us back significantly. Thankfully the nonsense of playing the AISF and final post-Christmas is about to end.

Advertisement