Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any body got any news on steam for linux

• 28-06-2011 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

just in general any news for a vale supported edition of steam for linux.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

You were lied to, son. Not gonna happen. Michael Larrabee is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

OSI wrote: »
    As small as the Mac market is, it's still much bigger than the Linux market, and is a market that are willing to pay for software and it still took them close to ten years to get Steam.

If the Humble Bundles were any sort of indicator, then Linux users will pay more for their games than Mac or Windows users once they are marketed in a way that is loosely consistent with with a sort of linux ethos.

Paying a tenner for a few small indie games does not compare to paying €50 for a full publisher title.

It's a start, but not that the big houses would care. Linux distros are very source code centered. There isn't much incentive to release binaries that require a team to maintain, when the community could do it. They can't release the source because of IP and all that jazz.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Paying a tenner for a few small indie games does not compare to paying €50 for a full publisher title.

Well, no, but the stats say that on average Linux users paid over 3 times what Windows users paid for the same software, and almost twice what OS X users paid for the same software.

Given that the work involved in porting Steam to OS X (and incorporating any support at all for the PSN) it would seem strange to not then move beyond that into wider Linux support, but between potential DRM issues and graphics support issues I wouldn't exactly hold my breath for it to happen. Which is mildly annoying, as I'd quite like Steam on the fedora box I use as a mediacentre on my TV without having to muck around with Wine - I know PlayOnLinux is supposed to be making this easier, but nothing's going to beat a native client.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i cant see it happing anytime soon myself but
    android although only on tablets is becoming quite popular and google will realy push for that and as we all know android is linux...

i think they would make a profit tho,
    take example that call of duty sold 1,300,000 copies

and at just over 1 % of computer use linux that would be around 15,000 copies for linux

if steam (i know that includes copies sold in shops ) steam would make around €100,000
    the only problem is that people who use linux who want to play call of duty or other will use a windows partion ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 2snj3rwgt56h9k

Why bother? Steam already works nearly flawlessly through Wine, and many of the games work well through it (more than would ever be concievably ported). Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Half Life 2 and portal not only play flawlessly on my Nvidia card, they also get superior framerates than in steam for OS X on a 2008 macbook pro.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

bpb101 wrote: »
    as we all know android is linux...

Only underneath. The apps are all written in Java AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Khannie wrote: »
    Only underneath. The apps are all written in Java AFAIK.
    Well, a bastardised Google branded version anyway.

It's funny that Android uses the NetBSD libc. They probably went down that path to avoid having to deal with Ulrich Drepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

Valve have said they are not working on a Linux version of steam
    Question: Final question, and one I'm sure you're not super-keen to answer, but I promised one of our tech guys I'd ask it. What truth is there to rumours that you're also working on a Linux version of Steam?
    Doug Lombardi: There's no Linux version that we're working on right now.

• Advertisement

chears for the news, hope it happens soon.
    Has Been a while since i opened this thread.

Great news. Really delighted. Mmmmmmm. Naaaattttiiiiiivvveeeee.

Last native game I really played a lot of was UT2004.

Khannie wrote: »
    Great news. Really delighted. Mmmmmmm. Naaaattttiiiiiivvveeeee.

Last native game I really played a lot of was UT2004.
    hopefull not long before even a beta steam for linux is up and out

Going off topic a bit but however
    EA To give a speech at uds

origin for linux ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I just hope that all of this talk will lead to the games industry making some sort of move to linux. Gaming is the only thing keeping me dual booting and I really wanna let go.

shizz wrote: »
    I just hope that all of this talk will lead to the games industry making some sort of move to linux. Gaming is the only thing keeping me dual booting and I really wanna let go.

If origin comes to linux they will port all(most anyways) there games, because it would be pointless to have just a client
    They have only a few games on origin

Steams have millions of games and they really only sell the games .

EA origin actual make them

shizz wrote: »

I was so far gone from Windows that I just stopped gaming when UT3 failed to materialise on Linux. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

I'm a bit confused there. Runs in the default browser. So all that is in the USC is a bookmark?

Are they WebGL or running using something like that Unity3D framework?

• Advertisement

timbyr wrote: »

I'm a bit confused there. Runs in the default browser. So all that is in the USC is a bookmark?

Are they WebGL or running using something like that Unity3D framework?
    hey , that what people are saying but at lease it a step in the right direction.
    I probly won't play them but I will still dl
    Just to add to the count

Just "installed" it. Required me to enter my Ubuntu SSO details.
    After install it then proceeded to open up the browser with
    http://alliances.commandandconquer.com/?utm_source=%28not%20set%29&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cca_ubuntu
    Then had to sign in with my Origin account.

It is just one of their Play4Free. It is WebGL but pretty crap quality. I am quite afraid of it being just a way of making them jumping on the micro-transaction bandwagon.

last question is the most important i would say
    from this.

Ubuntu is now providing downloads for Humble Bundle V like Steam through the Software Centre

Nom nom nom....

steam_linux_email.jpg

i find it stage there is no subject on a email like this !!!

I have to say that all this is great news. I bought the humble bundle myself recently. Availability of games on linux would probably see a massive surge in desktop linux usage (as in from almost nothing, to two times almost nothing :D). It would certainly remove one of the biggest barriers there for the ~14 - 40 year olds.

just worndering , what games do people think valve will port over to linux. There Half life or counter strike.
    They wont just bring out the client

EDIT: Does anybody think it will be in the usc or what ?. If it is it will cost $0:00 , it wont be free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I imagine any games that are available on Mac will be ported on to Linux. These are the games that they have flagged to be most popular.

They would never charge for the steam client. That would be madness.

Advertisement