Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic Creator Challenge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

I missed the first round due to uncharacteristic pressure of work but would love to be a part of this whole thing and tba's Shadow idea is something I for one think I might be able to sink my teeth into - hope I'm not giving too much away, there, hurr-hurr.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm digging "Shadow" as a theme and in the absence of other suggestions, it's looking good. I'll leave it open to suggestions until the entry deadline (end of Paddy's Day weekend) - I'll be sending out emails to remind/invite people to take part again, tweaking the site, and putting up a poll to vote on the entries over the weekend to try and get some momentum behind things again.

Hi, Fysh,

I sent you some pages yesterday (in my secret identity) hopefully in suitable format and hopeful that it's still going ahead. There seemed to be a lot more activity for the first month.

Anyway, the piece was Hellhunter pages 1-4. If there's any problem with them or you'd like them submitted in a different format, please let me know here or at my e-mail address.

Ta.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Argh, the last 10 days have raced past me. Invitations to take part again will be out tonight; however, for anyone reading this:

1) Round 2 has now started. Theme is "Shadow"; format 2-6 pages black & white or full colour. If you want to experiment with page design, layout, or size, feel free.

2) If you want to take part, please post in this thread by the 31st of March or email me at fyshbowlcomics@gmail.com to let me know.

3) Entries are to be submitted by the 17th of April, via email, to fyshbowlcomics@gmail.com. If you want you can include your website address and a brief profile to go with your entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bowie_closed

yeh count me in.

• Advertisement

Just a quick note - I've tweaked the site so the problems some people had with images not loading should be resolved, and the News page has been updated. If anyone spots any other glitches, please let me know.

Right, the deadline is now gone and I've had 4 entries in total. However, given it was Easter etc, if anyone else has a contribution ready but hasn't sent it on to me yet, either PM me to let me know or email me at fyshbowlcomics@gmail.com as soon as you can. I want to have the second round of entries online by the end of the week, so Friday is the last day for sending your entry in.

OK, 4 entries it is then. The second round will be online in the next day or two and I'll post up a second poll. In the meantime, 3rd round suggestions for theme can start now.

I think shorter comics might encourage more entries, so I'm thinking the third round should be 1 page - no constraints on size either width-wise or length-wise, but one continuous page in terms of design and layout (not unlike Chris Fite-Wassilak's entry for round 1).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chrisfw

cmon lads n ladies we're meant to have MORE contributions each round!
    ideas for a theme for round 3
    - (in the) gutter
    - water

also we could do formal restrictions as a 'theme'/challenge instead of just narrative themes- ie a certain colour palette (red brown black), or a certain amount of frames to tell the story...? could be fun!
    keep rockin

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Sorry boys, have to sit this one out.

• Advertisement

I'm in. Gutter or Water, sound good, either in isolation or as a mix'n'match. How about adding Stars and see how many people rework Wilde, lol. Maybe more people will be involved if there is a choice of topics like this each round, or does that defeat the purpose somewhat?

The first round seemed to click with a lot of people. In at least one case it looks like the submission may have come from the contributor's back-catalogue, perhaps others also had some stuff to hand which is why the challenge opened so promisingly. Although ideally, at least from my humble perspective, there should be something new each time, and themes focus the creativity considerably, perhaps by broadening the theme(s), either in the way chrisfw suggests or in other ways, or mixtures of all possible ways, it will give some people an opportunity to submit from their oeuvres so far, thereby raising the bar, the standard, the fun, the enthusiasm and the enthusiasm. I said enthusiasm twice. Hmmm.

I approached round two as a personal challenge, primarily because I knew it couldn't harm the portfolio (I really need some gainful work) and secondarily because I seem to need deadlines to get my ass moving. Mobile deadlines tend p!?s me off, as I'm sure they do others.

On the other hand, maybe all these bank holidays are taking their toll.

Anyway, I'm in for round 3. Please God let there be someone else with me!

TTFN.

Oh, before I forget (like it hasn't been on my mind all weekend), how long before the site gets updated? (no pressure)

The site update should be up tonight (he says) although if my home connection decides to act up it may have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm liking the suggestions for expanding the themes : what about having a selection of narrative and format themes for people to choose from?

As an example

Narrative :
    a) Gutter
    b) Water
    c) all of the above
    Format :
    a) restrict colour use to yellow, orange, red, & brown
    b) no page divisions
    c) all of the above

I like the idea of being able to mix and match your theme to better suit the story you want to tell, but i'm wary of making it open-ended - the original purpose of the theme was to have some sense of a link between all the submissions, which can easily vanish with a wide range of themes to choose from.

Still, I'm game for some variant of the above if everyone else is.

Site has been updated; seems to work fine from my test machine, but please let me know if there's any problems with viewing images or links. (Note: the entries seem to be rather larger this time so they may take longer to load...)

Edit :

Forgot to link to the entries, cos I'm daft like that. D'oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Borish

Boooya! the art work in round 2 Kicks alot of ass:D :cool:

fair play to the entries...

looking forward to seeing what comes up for next round,

ta
    sgraffito,

I agree with Borish (Lilith kicks bottom again), but I was seriously hoping someone who hasn't contributed might have said something by now. It just goes to show how hard it is to get a comic off the ground, if people interested in comics can't even get into 'view the newbies' mode on a free website. Is it that people are only really interested in what they know or what they've heard good things about? Who am I kidding, of course that's what it is. That's why Hollywood looks for names before talent in the big roles. I'm sure Stan The Man is just as guilty of that these days.

Comics: no longer the break-through industry it once was. Discuss.

Despondent of Donnabate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ham Ahoy!

which round is this and what theme is it and are entries still being accepted?

At the moment we're between rounds - round 2 has just finished and we're discussing the format and theme(s) for round 3. Any suggestions are welcome and we'll decide by the 1st of June, at which point there'll be 2-4 weeks for people to create and submit their entries. (Anyone can enter, btw).

um, thanks. is the nature of the strips themselves supposed to be humorous, poetical, dramatic, all of the above?
    and i think the most comic-expert people on the board, i.e. perhaps the mods of the comics forum, should decide the topic/theme for the next round.

The nature of the strip can be anything you want - the original idea of having a set theme was to create an underlying link between all the entries while still letting people write and draw their own interpretation of the theme. It might be an idea to set the "theme" for a round as a particular type of strip (comic, melodrama, horror, etc) - I've avoided this so far because I didnt want to force people to work in a genre they weren't interested in, but it's certainly an idea to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chrisfw

i think the more rounds we do the better, but it is also important that people on the list and contributors pass round the word- i think foremost to find new contributors but also to create some input back into it of viewers sharing their opinions of the work. i'd love to have a plethora (a plethora, el hefe? yes, a plethora) of submissions that would actually require some sort of control over them, or say that all the submissions for a round get voted on like they do here, and then the best x amount go towards that idea of a publication, or something like that. the point is, if we want people other than just us creating them to read them then make sure to spread the word! and all you folks interesting in contributing, just do it!

regarding themes etc, i dont think having an open ended selection of a few elements will help as everyone will pick a different set of combinations. we all have different approaches as it is, and i think choice of genre is a personal thing...but then maybe it'd do me good. i think though each round should have one overriding requirement of each submission, whether that's theme, genre, palette, or form, and not mix and match too much. just my opinion on that. bring on round 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Ill enter round 3 for the larf.

If nobody minds I'd kinda like it if we ran with 'gutter' for the subject of round 3. Selfishly, it's because I had an idea last night that I think I can work around to fit it.

Of course, if something else gets universal approval instead, I'll ... probably just change the ending, tbh.

I've been thinking about this a lot over the last few days, and I'm inclined to agree with Chris's comment that simple is better when it comes to the specifications.

I think that, going forward, we should have an alternating system whereby in one round the theme is narrative and in the next it's stylistic or visual. I figure it'll make it easier for people to mesh their own style of work into the round's requirements.

So. As it seems to meet with general approval, I think "gutter" should be the next round's theme. After that, we can decide on a stylistic theme and work from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Can we kick off round 3 soon? im dying to get stuck in!

Yeah, there seems to be some good interest in round 3 at the moment so I'm wary of letting it die off too much. SO.

Round 3 officially starts the 22nd of May, with the deadline being the 12th of June - that's 3 weeks to create and submit your entry.

Theme is "Gutter", and there are no format restrictions. Any page design and any colour palette is acceptable. I would suggest each entry is limited to 6 pages or less, but if you have an idea that involves more than that, go for it.

I'll post up a full list of everyone who's said they're taking part on Sunday night, to get a feel for things. I'm also trying to think of a few other ways of getting more people interested; I'll post up when I've got something more concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 LucyR

Do you have to have put your name in before the 22nd?

Nope, all you have to do to be included is send in an entry before or by the 12th of June. Keeping track of who's makes it a bit easier is all.

i'm in, i'll start brainstorming tonight.

Good to hear :)

While I'm thinking about this, one of the things I'd like to do to expand the idea a little is have some extra background on the people who take part and how they put together their entries. It'll probably be easiest to have as a feature for the "winner" as decided by the poll, and I think it'd be interesting for everyone to share that kind of information. I'll work out some sort of format for it and post up my ideas in a few days, but in the meantime if anyone else has any suggestions on what they'd like to see or any other things we could add to it, let me know.

• Advertisement

hi, Fysh,

I directed a friend to Round Two (hoping he´d vote for me, of course) but he says he couldn´t find anything by me. I checked. Round 2 seems to be Round 1 again. Hate to be a pain, but did you know about it?

Working on Round 3 material now, btw.

Advertisement