Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭lauraww

hi there i am trying to find out the name of a movie,i saw it years ago in the nineties,it may have been a two part mini series,im not sure.It is about a husband who is abusive to his wife,he is a psychopath.The scene that i remember from the film is this,the woman is sitting in the car and her husband is sitting next to her, then suddenly there is a big spider either on the wife or at her side of the car that the husband put there.Then as she is screaming and panicking,her husband is laughing and he has a camera,he is either recording her reaction or photographing it.

thank you,please help me cos its driving me nuts trying to find this film

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ianhmoore

lauraww wrote: »
    hi there i am trying to find out the name of a movie,i saw it years ago in the nineties,it may have been a two part mini series,im not sure.It is about a husband who is abusive to his wife,he is a psychopath.The scene that i remember from the film is this,the woman is sitting in the car and her husband is sitting next to her, then suddenly there is a big spider either on the wife or at her side of the car that the husband put there.Then as she is screaming and panicking,her husband is laughing and he has a camera,he is either recording her reaction or photographing it.

thank you,please help me cos its driving me nuts trying to find this film

I don't know about the spider scene, but I'm thinking it could be Nil By Mouth? It was filmed in that shakey hand held camera style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZiZPoJ5up8&feature=related

ianhmoore wrote: »
    I don't know about the spider scene, but I'm thinking it could be Nil By Mouth? It was filmed in that shakey hand held camera style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZiZPoJ5up8&feature=related[/QUOTE]

its definitley not nil by mouth,the movie i am looking for is an american film

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ianhmoore

I don't know about the spider scene, but I'm thinking it could be Nil By Mouth? It was filmed in that shakey hand held camera style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZiZPoJ5up8&feature=related[/QUOTE]

its definitley not nil by mouth,the movie i am looking for is an american film

Hmmm, only thing that comes to mind is a scene in which a kid had put a toy spider in the sunvisor of the parents car as a joke, however when the mother opened it and the spider fell on her, she had an all out panic attack and caused a car crash. Oh great, now I'm going to have to find out what THAT movie was....

Got a time frame for the movie you're thinking of?

Hmmm, only thing that comes to mind is a scene in which a kid had put a toy spider in the sunvisor of the parents car as a joke, however when the mother opened it and the spider fell on her, she had an all out panic attack and caused a car crash. Oh great, now I'm going to have to find out what THAT movie was....

Got a time frame for the movie you're thinking of?

its from around 1993 or 1994 i think.it has a stephen king vibe to it but i dont think it is one of his movies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Guys I'm looking for a movie. Its about the last day on earth, I don't remember much about it or how the ending happened, I remember this guy and a girl were standing on like an apartment balcony, I'm almost sure it follows around a select number of people only and there isn't a massive story line. I remember the guy in the movie calling into his parents and drinking wine I think then going, he wanted to die alone. Its made in kind of a requiem for a dream style if that's any use, and its modern enough, definitely in the last 20 years. Its pretty dark. I thought it was called something like "Last day" or similar. Thanks.

P.s. I think the guy made a plan about his end, something like drinking a certain beer and lying on a sunbed on his apartment balcony

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

nuxxx wrote: »
    Guys I'm looking for a movie. Its about the last day on earth, I don't remember much about it or how the ending happened, I remember this guy and a girl were standing on like an apartment balcony, I'm almost sure it follows around a select number of people only and there isn't a massive story line. I remember the guy in the movie calling into his parents and drinking wine I think then going, he wanted to die alone. Its made in kind of a requiem for a dream style if that's any use, and its modern enough, definitely in the last 20 years. Its pretty dark. I thought it was called something like "Last day" or similar. Thanks.

P.s. I think the guy made a plan about his end, something like drinking a certain beer and lying on a sunbed on his apartment balcony

How about "Last Night" (1998 film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Night_(1998_film)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

brian_t wrote: »
    How about "Last Night" (1998 film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Night_(1998_film)

dead on man, thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I've searched for hours trying to figure the name of this film and given up so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

It's an American film and the scene I can picture is set in a 2 level golf driving range during the day where some type of Russian/Eastern European gangster goes to see a huge fat Hawaiian/islander looking man who is sitting on a sofa with some minders around him and one or 2 skinny girls in very little clothes. The guy who turns up takes out either a golf club or some sort of meat clever type weapon and rests the end on a small table in front of the fat guy. The fat guy tells the girl who was on his lap/the couch something along the lines of "Go take a walk baby."

I think prior to this scene another character had gone to the fat guy with a list of illegal things he needed acquired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

I've searched for hours trying to figure the name of this film and given up so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

It's an American film and the scene I can picture is set in a 2 level golf driving range during the day where some type of Russian/Eastern European gangster goes to see a huge fat Hawaiian/islander looking man who is sitting on a sofa with some minders around him and one or 2 skinny girls in very little clothes. The guy who turns up takes out either a golf club or some sort of meat clever type weapon and rests the end on a small table in front of the fat guy. The fat guy tells the girl who was on his lap/the couch something along the lines of "Go take a walk baby."

I think prior to this scene another character had gone to the fat guy with a list of illegal things he needed acquired.

Remake of Italian job . http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317740/

poor quality but is this the scene : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QbUTRKJUoA
    he is skinny pete.. Gawtti , suppose to be a rapper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Joeface wrote: »
    Remake of Italian job . http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317740/

poor quality but is this the scene : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QbUTRKJUoA
    he is skinny pete.. Gawtti , suppose to be a rapper

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gzmdmc

its from around 1993 or 1994 i think.it has a stephen king vibe to it but i dont think it is one of his movies.

Maybe... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husbands_and_Wives#Plot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

There was an interesting sci-fi movie starring the actor who played the Leutenant in charge of Swat in Hill Street Blues. I cannot recall the actors name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    There was an interesting sci-fi movie starring the actor who played the Leutenant in charge of Swat in Hill Street Blues. I cannot recall the actors name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_B._Sikking
    ?

That's the guy. Thanks. Now the search for that movie.

You know it must have been an episode of The Outer Limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morons_from_Outer_Space ?
    or
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capricorn_One ?
    or
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Astronaut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ruadhri44

I saw this film back in the early 90s. Could this be it?

Final Approach from 1991.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101874/

I think that's it. Must see if I can rent it again. It is years since I watched it. I thought it was quite interesting at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Ok, please bear with me on this one,

My 3 yo was watching a film on tv ,Saturday gone by, it involved a clown been chased through a woods by people who were throwing rocks/sticks at him .

he has me gone mad asking to watch it again but i ve no idea what the film is , its his description so im really sorry bout the vagueness .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Could it have been Fantastic Mr. Fox (Film4, about 6PM)? It's stop-motion animation, I think it had forest chase scenes, and Mr. Fox in that ridiculous suit may have looked like a clown ... :o

You can search yourself by using TV Guide: tell it which channels you have, and look back in time a few days.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Owryan wrote: »
    Ok, please bear with me on this one,

My 3 yo was watching a film on tv ,Saturday gone by, it involved a clown been chased through a woods by people who were throwing rocks/sticks at him .

he has me gone mad asking to watch it again but i ve no idea what the film is , its his description so im really sorry bout the vagueness .

When I read your description I thought "Octopussy" straight away.

I'm fairly certain I even saw a bit of this movie whilst flicking around the channels last w/e too. That might be your movie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yep, Octopussy was on over the weekend alright and it opens with a clown being chased through a woods and murdered for the fabergé egg he's carrying iirc.

Not really suitable stuff for a 3 year old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

thanks a million guys, think it was octopussy , can remember it been on at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3 the fine print

I vaguely remember watching an old film (pre-1960s) as a kid. There is a challenged quest for a mythical bell and in the end it turns out that the bell is hidden behind plaster, actually forming the entire dome of a chapel or temple on top of a sea-cliff. Ringing the giant bell causes it to fall off the cliff entombing many of the antagonists.....
    It could have been a reference to the above-mentioned bell in Burma, (but may well not be); a friend of mine being involved in the modern salvage plan for it is reason I keep thinking about the film; its not even a very good one I think, but I was only 10 or so when I watched it first.

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

I've had this idea for a film plot for years but I thought this thread would be a good place to check if it has been made before to any extent?

Concept:Main character is a talentless loser type who relies on google for any information and always tries to make a quick buck avoiding making any effort. He gets sent back in time accidentally to the mid 20th century. The film follows him desperately trying to recreate successful ideas of the latter 20th century that haven't yet happenned in a vain attempt to cash in. Being a talentless philistine with no resources he fails spectacularly to: recall key details of major events, recreate classic works of various artforms, reinvent great inventions etc. I would see it as a comedy but it could go down the road of him redeeming himself by averting some final disaster (perhaps by accident).

Two films have hinted at aspects of the idea, both of which honestly came out after I thought of it: Forrest Gump and more so Be Kind Rewind. Have there been any films made closer to the above plot?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

ok 2 movies

1- i think it was angelina jolie in it and 2 boys in there teens they built her or maybe she came from space or something theres one scene where she goes to the boys house and ties up the father or something cant quite remember its a very old movie.

2- ok this is going to be vague and **** lol its a chinese samurai movie i rememebr some english lady goes to china and works some the king or leader idk and minds the children and some chinese guy and girl falls inlove with eachother and the leader/king doesnt approve and gets there heads choped off during this scene the man and woman look at eachother.. lol if you know would be amazing being searching for years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Reon wrote: »
    ok 2 movies

1- i think it was angelina jolie in it and 2 boys in there teens they built her or maybe she came from space or something theres one scene where she goes to the boys house and ties up the father or something cant quite remember its a very old movie.
    Weird Science maybe? Not that old, mid 80's.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Reon wrote: »

2- ok this is going to be vague and **** lol its a chinese samurai movie i rememebr some english lady goes to china and works some the king or leader idk and minds the children and some chinese guy and girl falls inlove with eachother and the leader/king doesnt approve and gets there heads choped off during this scene the man and woman look at eachother.. lol if you know would be amazing being searching for years :D

Chinese samurai movie? unlikely :P

But that could be Anna and the King with Jodie Foster and Chow Yun Fat. I think its a remake of The King and I, just without the singing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

flanree wrote: »
    I've had this idea for a film plot for years but I thought this thread would be a good place to check if it has been made before to any extent?

Concept:Main character is a talentless loser type who relies on google for any information and always tries to make a quick buck avoiding making any effort. He gets sent back in time accidentally to the mid 20th century. The film follows him desperately trying to recreate successful ideas of the latter 20th century that haven't yet happenned in a vain attempt to cash in. Being a talentless philistine with no resources he fails spectacularly to: recall key details of major events, recreate classic works of various artforms, reinvent great inventions etc. I would see it as a comedy but it could go down the road of him redeeming himself by averting some final disaster (perhaps by accident).

Two films have hinted at aspects of the idea, both of which honestly came out after I thought of it: Forrest Gump and more so Be Kind Rewind. Have there been any films made closer to the above plot?

Timecop and Time Chasers both deal with people going back in time to profit themselves only to be stopped by other time travellers. I would imagine that there would be several others I can't think of at the moment.

To be honest I don't think that the two examples you give do even hint at that kind of plot or have any kind of time travel - but it has been a long time since I've seen them.

Advertisement