Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who believes in Bigfoot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That may be the case, but there have been documented cases of ferral children, particularly in South America, where they were considerably more hirsute than children normally are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

That may be the case, but there have been documented cases of ferral children, particularly in South America, where they were considerably more hirsute than children normally are.

There have been many cases of ferral children documented thorough out the centuries. The vast majority have some form of mental or physical issues. There have been a few worldwide unusually hirsute, but this doesn't lend to the bigfoot myth imo as the age & size doesn't fit with descriptions given in north america

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Lelantos wrote: »
    Take into account that no where in the world do actual primates live in non tropical or sub tropical lands.

So so obvious but yet I never even considered this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Aha, but feral doesnt mean hairy or gorilla like.

Really? Read through the thread, some examples have been mentioned already.

There is no standard description for Big Foot either.

So so obvious but yet I never even considered this :o

What's obvious, how dumb this statement is?

• Advertisement

There have been many cases of ferral children documented thorough out the centuries. The vast majority have some form of mental or physical issues. There have been a few worldwide unusually hirsute, but this doesn't lend to the bigfoot myth imo as the age & size doesn't fit with descriptions given in north america

What would a hairy child grow into?

A hairy adult. It that somehow difficult to comprehend? What descriptions are you talking about, there is no fixed description of Big Foot, you don't get to make up your own facts.

maninasia wrote: »
    What would a hairy child grow into?

A hairy adult. It that somehow difficult to comprehend? What descriptions are you talking about, there is no fixed description of Big Foot, you don't get to make up your own facts.

The so called eye witness descriptions of witnesses.
    The facts are, that there are no non hominid ape/primates native to the north Americas, no where else in the world do apes live in the cold latitudes that bigfoot is claimed to habit on America & Canada.
    The claim of feral children being responsible for the bigfoot myth is you making things up I'm afraid, best follow your own advice & stop with the rubbish

Jeez are you as dense as your really appear to be.

PEOPLE are apes. Not only that, there are plenty of primates that live in temperate zones. You've been told it many times but don't want to accept these plain facts in front of your face. You've been embarrassed and try to change the goalposts with every post.

Do yourself a favour and read about human evolution. Homo Erectus lived in hot and cool regions of the globe for almost 2 million years. Here's a picture of Homo Erectus, say hello!

z-homo-erectus.jpg

Up to 10s of other ape/human species lived in hot and cold regions of the globe also over that time. Primates or Apes would not NEED to be native to anywhere, amazingly they have two legs at the minimum and they can do a thing called WALK across land. It's really remarkable.

PEOPLE are apes. Not only that, there are plenty of primates that live in temperate zones. You've been told it many times but don't want to accept these plain facts in front of your face. You've been embarrassed and try to change the goalposts with every post.

Do yourself a favour and read about human evolution. Homo Erectus lived in hot and cool regions of the globe for almost 2 million years. Here's a picture of Homo Erectus, say hello!

z-homo-erectus.jpg

Up to 10s of other ape/human species lived in hot and cold regions of the globe also over that time.

What does homo erectus, homo habilis, or java man have to do with a mythical creature living in north America?
    There are no native apes in north america, apes do not live in that area anywhere in the world, and please, are we suggesting now that bigfoot is homo habilis? or is it a feral child please pick a theory & less of the bluff & fluster

Use logic to start with.

If Big Foot exists where does he come from.

Are you getting it now?

Apes and primates and various human species have migrated all over the world for millions of years. Some of the other human species survived up to at least 12,000 years ago. As I said, reading before posting would help!

There have also been many instances of feral people discovered in history, some of them remarkably hairy which is probably a cold adaptation. This is why it is not IMPOSSIBLE that Big Foot exists in North America in one of these forms.

It's not likely that Big Foot exists, but it is CERTAINLY possible.

• Advertisement

Use logic to start with.

If Big Foot exists where does he come from.

Are you getting it now?

Apes and primates and various human species have migrated all over the world for millions of years. There have also been many instances of feral people discovered in history, some of them remarkably hairy which is probably a cold adaptation. This is why it is not IMPOSSIBLE that Big Foot exists in North America in one of these forms.

It's not likely that Big Foot exists, but it is CERTAINLY possible.

How many homo erectus remains have been found in North America. How many feral children have been reported in North America.

Move the goalposts again. A feral person could look like a bigfoot, so where is the borderline, I don't know?
    As for Homo remains in N.America, there haven't been any discovered to date (obviously) but that doesn't mean they weren't there in some form.

Many human species FIRST fossil finds were only discovered in the last TEN years..I'm talking about Denisovans (2010) and Red Deer People (DNA needs to be analysed) and Flores man (2003).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Relax with the personal insults please. We're the most advanced of the great apes, let's not act otherwise.

The so called eye witness descriptions of witnesses.
    The facts are, that there are no non hominid ape/primates native to the north Americas

So called eye witness descriptions are called eye witness descriptions. Interesting.
    I don't recall Homo Sapiens being native to Europe or Asia last time I looked, at least if the Out of Africa theory is correct.

no where else in the world do apes live in the cold latitudes that bigfoot is claimed to habit on America & Canada.

Hello Eskimoes and Lapps and welcome our hard drinking Russian friends. People are apes, remember. Not only that there were plenty of other apes living in those regions in the past. I've even made it easy for you for by posting a picture of one guy who got around most of Africa, Europe and Asia and stayed around for the guts of 2 million years.
    The claim of feral children being responsible for the bigfoot myth is you making things up I'm afraid, best follow your own advice & stop with the rubbish

I'm not 'making things up'. It's called a supposition. It's a possibility, nothing more, nothing less. In fact it could be the strongest possibility beyond bears, if you think about the vastness of N.America and the fact that feral people have been proven to exist in history! They are not mythical but real. The population of N.America is what, around 330 million. So imagine you had 10 feral people at any one time. What percentage is that of the population.. .00000000303%. It could happen extremely rarely and yet still result in a few ferals running around. Now does that mean they should look like the typical Big Foot..probably not, unless they grew up in the cold environment and somehow grew hair to adapt to the cold environment through an unknown evolutionary mechanism which is suppressed by people wearing clothes when young.

EDIT- Seems that excessive hairiness can be linked to malnutrition
    http://ukraine.adoptionblogs.com/weblogs/what-can-be-learned-from-feral-children

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Some interesting reading on feral children here.

lots of hoaxes there but it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Whatever baffles David Attenborough, peaks my attention.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10184835-71.html

I reckon there is some sort of a type of ape living in these forests in America.

Thats cryptozoology folks.. it doesnt exist until someone finds one. Love it!

Bigfoot Files, tonight @ 8pm, channel 4 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Sully34 wrote: »
    Who believes in bigfoot?

Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

probably just a legend originating from native americans

Dermighty wrote: »
    Idiots.

If you've nothing constructive to post, either for or against what others believe in, don't post at all. Consider yourself warned

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Bigfoot Files, tonight @ 8pm, channel 4 :)

Did anyone watch this? Some very interesting DNA results from the samples taken from the high altitude regions

Yeah, a somewhat surprising conclusion to the whole thing, but it all stood up, and seems completely believable!

The Nazi one looked fabricated if I'm to be perfectly honest! The clay jaw and the upside-down teeth being just one obvious pointer to the thing not being completely legit.

Yeah, a somewhat surprising conclusion to the whole thing, but it all stood up, and seems completely believable!

Agreed, given the credentials of Brian Sykes, & how logical it all seems, I think for me, this question has been answered. And the best thing about it is, it's not a mundane explanation, it's still a remnant of something ancient :)
    The Nazi one looked fabricated if I'm to be perfectly honest! The clay jaw and the upside-down teeth being just one obvious pointer to the thing not being completely legit.

Definitely. Looked like the head of a wolf, with a clay jaw, & upside down teeth. Still, freaky looking thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was intrigued and pleased with the conclusion to the Yeti, hopefully they continue research into this!

They never answered the question of whether the director got off Everest alive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bigbaz

Looks like the yeti has been identified if the program on tv last night is anything to go by,a hybrid polar/brown bear according to dna evidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭oceanman

well at least we know now that yeti dose exist, which should hopefully put an end to all the arguments between skeptics and believers. peace at last.

Yeah, it really does. Still plenty of unanswered questions, but I doubt that we'll ever have those answered. Like given that there was interbreeding between the polar and brown bears, how did they then end up in the Himalayas?

I'll be keeping an eye out for further shows in the series for sure!

Next week its in the goo ole US of A, looking at bigfoot evidence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The preview looks a bit funny.... The study of bigfootology and these guys who seem to have made it their job to hunt Big Foot?

I want to be open minded, but from that short clip they look like nutters anyway! Looking forward to seeing the full episode.

• Advertisement

I'd honestly expect a similar result, but I like their approach, so I'm really looking forward to seeing more!

Pity that the DNA in the hair from that Nazi... thing... was too damaged/destroyed to test. I thought it looked a bit like a wolverine with it's face somewhat squashed in.

Advertisement