Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Oldskool Appreciation Party - O.A.P's thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Ant C

Cool Mix mate - still would love to check out the tracklisting. Can't all be white labels???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Ant C wrote: »
    Cool Mix mate - still would love to check out the tracklisting. Can't all be white labels???

:D:D:D

You're new to this, aren't you? lol

es-cee wrote: »
    :D:D:D

You're new to this, aren't you? lol

Yep, the new boy, that's me alright. Still....only a blow in until the next new member.

Maybe my mixes will be heard here some day when I pass the initiation test;)

Yep, the new boy, that's me alright. Still....only a blow in until the next new member.

Maybe my mixes will be heard here some day when I pass the initiation test;)

Don't mean it like that mate. There's a group of well established Dublin DJ's, who wont share track names for love nor money, think they'll get rinsed out at gigs etc, if they're ID'd for everyone.

Made me laugh a few weeks back, coz i actually seen one of those people, looking for an ID on facebook, from a Jay Carey mix. But if you were to ask that same person for an ID he wouldn't even bother replying to you, (whether he knew it or not).

Sad state of affairs to be honest, but that's Dublin for ya! :rolleyes:

Don't mean it like that mate. There's a group of well established Dublin DJ's, who wont share track names for love nor money, think they'll get rinsed out at gigs etc, if they're ID'd for everyone.

Made me laugh a few weeks back, coz i actually seen one of those people, looking for an ID on facebook, from a Jay Carey mix. But if you were to ask that same person for an ID he wouldn't even bother replying to you, (whether he knew it or not).

Sad state of affairs to be honest, but that's Dublin for ya! :rolleyes:

Sorry man, didn't mean to come across as a bit of a twat, thought the piss was been taken:o.

Great group of lads here who know their **** about music which is great and the posts are deadly.

Yeah, I agree some people treat ID's as gold dust. Fair enough, nobody wants to be copied but it's what you do with the tracks and how you work your set rather than the individual tracks in my opinion.

Just listened to a John Digweed podcast and have to admit it was dirt, he is a legend but he is playing **** now and he has to know it. Just because he has earned his title doesn't mean he can put out **** in his mixes and expect the same fans to like it. Still... his mixing is BANG ON every time so say no more.

• Advertisement

Just listened to a John Digweed podcast and have to admit it was dirt, he is a legend but he is playing **** now and he has to know it. Just because he has earned his title doesn't mean he can put out **** in his mixes and expect the same fans to like it. Still... his mixing is BANG ON every time so say no more.

Coxy is the same, livin off his rep, coz that's all he has at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

its all ****ty electro these days.. i hate the stuff..its crap.djs now and have been using beat counters for quite awhile.. every mix they do will be bang on.. and its mostly cd decks..

its all ****ty electro these days.. i hate the stuff..its crap.djs now and have been using beat counters for quite awhile.. every mix they do will be bang on.. and its mostly cd decks..

Most of their mixes are mastered Mac, not coz they use beat counters. Any idiot can count bars, it's not too hard tbh, unless you're listening to the likes of Venetian Snares etc, who use odd time signatures in their tracks. I have nothing against CDJ's btw, or Controllers! As long as the DJ i'm listening to can put a mix together i'm grand.

Oh and once they post a tracklist with that mix too ;):D

Most of their mixes are mastered Mac, not coz they use beat counters. Any idiot can count bars, it's not too hard tbh, unless you're listening to the likes of Venetian Snares etc, who use odd time signatures in their tracks. I have nothing against CDJ's btw, or Controllers! As long as the DJ i'm listening to can put a mix together i'm grand.

This is what i mean by "odd time signatures" btw, most music you'll listen to is 4/4, this is 7/4. Meaning there are 7 beats in a bar, basically. So instead of 1234, 2234, 3234, 4234. It'll be 1234567, 2234567, 3234567, 4234567 :D

Might be a bit of a head **** to follow at 1st, but thats the way music can be sometimes :p:D:D:D

Check it out anyway, great track ;)

Even if the beats were 4 on the floor, and not jungle, it would still be same time sig btw.

I actually think most of the well establish DJ's have lost their way and need to reconnect with their audience. Maybe they are dictated to and tow the line on the artists to include in their mixes or whatever but there is something seriously wrong. The funny thing is that it is being just swallowed now by fans who know no better. They really need to listen back to the older mixes to understand how the reputation was made in the first place!!

I remember seeing coxy at the Ormond and he was seriously Kickin'. I mean the place was Rockin'!! We were talking about it for a long time after. Now I wouldn't be bothered seeing him judging by what he is putting out now. The 3 deck wizard has hung up his cans as far as I am concerned. Sad day, sad day indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Mr Cox is 50 years old now, I can't imagine sifting through the latest slices of techno is high on his list these days, especially with the cash he's likely to have made over the years! That said, I hope I'm still looking out for good techno when I'm 50 :pac:

Stumbled across this while doing some youtube wandering tonight over a glass of wine, how times have changed... always loved the sold kick-drum intro to this, nice to mix.

I actually think most of the well establish DJ's have lost their way and need to reconnect with their audience. Maybe they are dictated to and tow the line on the artists to include in their mixes or whatever but there is something seriously wrong. The funny thing is that it is being just swallowed now by fans who know no better. They really need to listen back to the older mixes to understand how the reputation was made in the first place!!

I remember seeing coxy at the Ormond and he was seriously Kickin'. I mean the place was Rockin'!! We were talking about it for a long time after. Now I wouldn't be bothered seeing him judging by what he is putting out now. The 3 deck wizard has hung up his cans as far as I am concerned. Sad day, sad day indeed.

When i think of Coxy, it's the likes of this

really couldn't care less what he played after 1994 tbh!
    He's been coasting on his rep ever since imo!!

Another random find, such a loss to music with Pete Namlook passing away last year.

4 Voice - Eternal Spirit

Make some noise!!!! Handing you over to one of the UK's finest, DJ Carl Cox, just for you Obsession!!!

this is the Carl Cox i grew up with, not the shíte he's pitching these days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ROCKY MANGAN

na only buzzin ant ill do 1 up 2mrw 4 yiz, break the trend , at the end of the day its all about keepin the old skool alive . . . .:cool:

na only buzzin ant ill do 1 up 2mrw 4 yiz, break the trend , at the end of the day its all about keepin the old skool alive . . . .:cool:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

I always knew he was No Ordinary Joe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Savage track

And this mix is even better tear jerking/dropping stuff

Cabaret time :D

aceberg wrote: »
    Savage track

And this mix is even better tear jerking/dropping stuff

Cabaret time :D

Cracking track, the string start sounds similar to "Higher" or am I hearing things?

• Advertisement

Mr Cox is 50 years old now, I can't imagine sifting through the latest slices of techno is high on his list these days, especially with the cash he's likely to have made over the years! That said, I hope I'm still looking out for good techno when I'm 50 :pac:

Stumbled across this while doing some youtube wandering tonight over a glass of wine, how times have changed... always loved the sold kick-drum intro to this, nice to mix.

This is just up there with the top 10 tracks ever made!! Love this one.

FILLED IN WHAT I COULD LADS N-JOI https://soundcloud.com/joe-mangan/mo-jo :):rolleyes::o:confused:

FILLED IN WHAT I COULD LADS N-JOI https://soundcloud.com/joe-mangan/mo-jo :):rolleyes::o:confused:

Fair play Joe, i hope you don't get in trouble with the rest of that lot, over this :D:D:D

Fair play Joe, i hope you don't get in trouble with the rest of that lot, over this :D:D:D[/QUOTE

hope not, but sssh dont tell any1 es-cee . DONT MENTION THE WAR basil lol :p

The first two Trance Europe Express compilations will also remind me of the early 90s, before any of us had decks we used to stick these on and dance till the early hours of the morning after whatever club we'd have been in... this one always had the room hopping.

Hardfloor - Reverberate Opinion

This (cassette) tended to get stuck on then at some stage too.

"1, 2... Manchester how you feelin... are you ready?" Anyone have a good rip of this actually?

Fair play Joe, i hope you don't get in trouble with the rest of that lot, over this :D:D:D[/QUOTE

hope not, but sssh dont tell any1 es-cee . DONT MENTION THE WAR basil lol :p

;):D:D:D

Love Cool Hand Flex's stuff, living legend!!

The first two Trance Europe Express compilations will also remind me of the early 90s, before any of us had decks we used to stick these on and dance till the early hours of the morning after whatever club we'd have been in... this one always had the room hopping.

This (cassette) tended to get stuck on then at some stage too.

"1, 2... Manchester how you feelin... are you ready?" Anyone have a good rip of this actually?

Proper Oldskool, end of.

• Advertisement

Did these boys do remixes of Yeke Yeke and Tangled in my thoughts? Rings a bell alright,

Advertisement