Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

• 12-04-2007 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Hi All, I am going for Interview and written Test at 1pm today, any advise? Fred

Keep this thread on-topic please!

If you have any general info on Reserves please post in here. Anything off-topic, non reserve related-here is okay. I've moved over some posts, please don't make me move more. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

I attended for the written test along with about 25 others. Then I was interviewed by a Super and another nice lady from the Public Service, I felt I got on well and they put me at ease from the beginning of the Interview. I recommend anyone who is thinking of applying to go ahead. One has nothing to loose anyway and it was an experience. I was speaking to a very nice guy who I think said, was doing a Masters, I realise, I should have got his name and number to chat about GR. If by any chance you appear on line sure leave me a message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robbiedublin

Hi freddiew,
    Good to hear you got on well with the written section.
    I am a member of the reserve force working in Dublin and have found all those I have encountered very supportive. The training is of great benifit and will be a positive aspect to anyone thinking of joining the main force.

Robbie, any way I could talk to you on landline or somewhere more confidential about next stage, I think its better to talk than write!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭odarallo

Hey all,

I had the interview and the report writing excercise 2 weeks ago and i flopped so bad, After reading through this thread i beleive ive done only that.

Any ideas? im kinda down-hearted now :(

Odarallo, I think I was possibly at the same written test, was it 1pm Thursday 12th? There was one chap beside me who kept looking at the Test Mag. and he never wrote anything. Let me know when you hear anything and I willo do the same. Good Luck.

• Advertisement

Hey Freddie,

I think mine was on the wed.. I was a little late and got alot of filthy looks. I did notice there wasnt many Irish people in the room. Dont know where that leaves me standing and I had to use the example alot because to be honest I didnt know what I was supposed to be doing. Never wrote a report before and I think that test is a little unfair.

:)

hey guys,

Reveived letter today, did not get the position. Does not state why but I'll call later and see why :)

ok rang the public appointments office and this is what they said.

I passed the report writing excercise. hitting well abouve the average. When it came to the interview I done a overal good interview but lacked experience and did not have enough volintery work done. Which I wasnt sure was a requirment.

Im overall pleased that I done a good interview and passed the report. But am downhearted at the nearsighted-ness of not allowing someone in because of not enough volintery work.

I guess because there is a huge amount of people applying they need to give a reason why the are refusing people.

Best of luck to all who apply

Odarallo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Oul Wan

Odarello, take up some voluntary work, such as the Civil Defence, and try again next year if it's something you want. And good luck with it.

Well, my friend is heading down on Saturday - that's the one who got her phone call to go to Templemore. The other girl is still waiting for word. I must get her to sign up here herself and chat to ye instead of me having to tell her what's going on here.

Good luck to ye all!

I got a letter this morning stating that I had been successful at interview and in the report writing exercise. They say I am through to the next stage and they will be in contact relating to my medical and security clearance procedures.

• Advertisement

Well guys thats nice to hear, i wont bother re-applying for the reserve position as im going for the full garda position in August.

Best of luck ciao

ok guys please help me here..... this is what my summary says at end of the letter.

OVER ALL SUMMARY COMMENT : Failed to demonstrate community involvment and lacked overall life experience. Needs to focus on Garda Reserve Role and understand role

Ok, now what do I do nothing? let them refuse me because im young?! Should I appeal there decision what should I do please help :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hughdub

Hi all.. Just looking for a heads up.. Passed all the relevent interview/test. Filled out the GR2 form gave it to the local Garda station. I have a meeting/interview with the local superintendant next week. Has anyone else had this type of meeting and if so what was it like, just looking to prepare as best I can.. Thanks....

Well done on being accepted mate,

and im 21 this is to young to be applying for the reserves? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Oul Wan

Another update for anyone who's interested. My friend got a phone call about an hour ago to say she's to go to Templemore this weekend. She said to me yesterday that the reserve office are up to their eyes up there and that they're hoping to let everyone know by tomorrow (Thursday) whether they're in for this round of training or not.

Odarello, I agree with FreddieW, I don't think you should appeal, just apply again. Not sure if it's any help or not, but both my friends are very involved in the community - Civil Defence, Youth Groups etc.

Hughdub, A(my friend) told me her interview with the Super was very informal, but at the same time he wanted to know that she knew what she was getting herself in for, and the type of work she would be doing.

Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Oul Wan wrote:
    Not sure if it's any help or not, but both my friends are very involved in the community - Civil Defence, Youth Groups etc.

I was in the Civil Defence for a few years and can tell you that being an actively serving member of the CD is a very positive bonus for anyone trying to join the army, gardaí or Fire Service.

Being a member of the DC indicates a willingness to support the community should the need arise. Good service demonstrates your ability to work as part of a team or on your own in stressful situations and demonstrates the ability to analyse situations and make good decisions under pressure. It also demonstrates that you have an ability to obey orders.

The fact that you can put up with the ridicule of wearing a bright yellow jumpsuit must surely also be a bonus and testimony to the fact that you're not in it 'for the uniform' :D

I know for a fact that it helps and if any members of the CD are applying for the reservists then you should make sure to get a letter of reccomendation from your CDO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

Very well said R3NU4L participation in the community is very much part of the interview process as is conflict resolution.I have been an active member of the local Residence association for a number of years now and im sure they looked very favourably on that .People who have been putting it in consistently for little or no reward is the type of person they want I think.

Kieran / Oul Wan thanks for that info. Anyone in the West here been accepted for the Reserves or going through the process at the moment ??? Good luck to all travelling to Templemore hope it goes well for ye, keep us posted on your progress..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

odarallo wrote:
    im 21 this is to young to be applying for the reserves? :P

It all depends on what else you've been doing with your time. A 21 year-old who's significantly involved in the community and contributes to it (RDF, Civil Defence, RNLI, scouts etc.) would stand a better chance than someone who isn't.

Joining one of the above would improve your chances with the Gardaí and look good on a CV generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Trooper407

Iv been called in for an interview on the 18th, any tips?? Also seems strange they called me in since im not 18 until next month, not complaining though!

• Advertisement

Hi Freddie..

My answer to the scenario was <removed>

Hugh

Answers to the above on a postcard only!! :p

Very Good that sounds reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 celticlegend03

Hi Guys,

I had my test and interview about two weeks ago and was just wondering if anyone else who had theirs had heard back yet?

Hi Guys,

I had my test and interview about two weeks ago and was just wondering if anyone else who had theirs had heard back yet?

It takes three to four weeks. I am waiting to hear about my Medical, the local Super. is calling to see me tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Any tips on reading items for my prep for interview and short test,a forum or text book?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Leinsterdude,
    You will be asked about stuff you do in the community.You will must definitely be asked about conflict resolution.You may be asked how you dealt with a problem in work and how you resolved it teamworking etc.There is a written test where you are asked from looking at a comic stip senario what are the important factual points and to leave out irrelevant details like heresay.This will become clear when you come to do it nothing at all to be afraid of commonsense stuff really.

Hi,I had to call them and see why my interview took so long,now up for it next month,call them,I have no leaving cert either.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

just got called for written exam and initial interview in cork in november.

anyone else get called for cork?

• Advertisement

Hi all just did my test today,then after into the interview in with the super and the public jobs rep,test was grand,think I messed the interview though,was asked about team work and would I prefer to be a team member or a leader,thought they wanted me to say member and said that a team member was my preference....which he picked me up on as conflicting with earlier comments on how an underperformer should be dealt with,not a very nice guy either,no handshake at all no smiles,feel I messd up now,although the public app lady was very good and made me feel at ease,who makes the decision? is it both or just the super? any feedback from you guys would help.:confused:

Advertisement