Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fashion at the Oscars, what did you think?

• 25-02-2008 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or were the gunas this year very disappointing?
    They all seemed incredibly dull and uninspired, which for an event celebrating creativity doesn't say too much! Tilda Swinton especially had me speechless -for all the wrong reasons lol. What ya reckon gals -or guys?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Anne Hatthaway, too pale!!! Dress was too vampy for her skin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I thought Helen Mirren looked amazing. That elegant red dress with the amazing ornate sleeves. Fabulous.

Tilda Swinton....jaysus! She looked like she wrapped herself in a set of black curtains. She could have washed her hair and thrown on a bit of make-up!

I thought Cate Blanchette looked lovely too. Nicole Kidman would have been nice apart from the over the top bling.

Also, fair play to Diablo Cody for showing her own sense of style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Nicole Kidman is fine!

FunkZ wrote: »
    Nicole Kidman is fine!

Indeed. Her jewellery however, was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

yeah definitely wasn't as glam as other years. Lots of black and red - dull, dull. Think aswell there seemed to be lots of people missing - Angelina, Jennifer A, Reese Witherspoon, Katie Holmes, Julia Roberts, Desp Housewives cast etc. Bless even Victoria didn't appear and she would usually be a safe bet for something to talk about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭lizann

Helen Mirren and Laura Linney were the best dressed ladies

James McAvoy and Josh Brolin were the best dressed men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

I thought there was way too much black and dramatic red on show!
    Tilda Swinton - such a shame! She could have pulled off something absolutly fab with the height and figure.

Diablo Cody looked a bit un comfortable with the dress collecting her oscar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

Tilda Swinton - poor woman needs a better stylist. She was bad at the BAFTAs and just as bad at the Oscars and don't get me started on her haircut.
    It also seemed like every actress was wearing the same red dress with just a few differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Apparently Tilda Swinton had never ever watched an Oscars show before and wasn't it obvious!! :) Get the woman a stylist! Yeah where were the Julias and Reeses of the acting world? Do you only go to the Oscars if you're a nominee or presenting an award?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Coffea

DubLegs wrote: »
    I thought there was way too much black and dramatic red on show!

Totally agree! Way too much unadventurous black and red.. such a red-carpet cliche!!

However, I loved the shade of green that Saoirse Ronan wore. She looked really cute and it was nice to see that she didn't go for a very grown-up style which I think would have looked wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

purplegeko wrote: »
    Tilda Swinton - poor woman needs a better stylist. She was bad at the BAFTAs and just as bad at the Oscars and don't get me started on her haircut.
    It also seemed like every actress was wearing the same red dress with just a few differences.

Ah, I thought her hair was fine, but that big black bin liner...uggghhh, and only one one arm.

hathaway looked nice, that Diablo one, she was nice too.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Indeed. Her jewellery however, was not.

Did she wear a ridiculously big bracelet?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭marthaclark

disappointing.

the BAFTAS has officially trumped the oscars for style.

seriously.

I watched the red carpet coverage on E! and that greek presenter in the pink embellished dress was the best dressed woman I saw.

I can't believe I said that but there you go.

(well, either her or keri russell.)

FunkZ wrote: »
    Did she wear a ridiculously big bracelet?

Not quite

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Oh dear that's bad. If my mother let me out the door like that I'd never speak to her again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Eire 4Ever

Marion Collitard looked amazing she took a risk a bold print and a bold colour

All the guys looked HOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nikkyvale

Yeah, Tilda Swindon looked absolutley disgraceful! Does she not own a mirror? she looked like a walking dead body or something!
    Heidi Klum definately was fabulous looking! She is stunning! and Katherine Heigel!!!

Ha it's not too bad! But she probably would have looked better without it. :rolleyes:

My favourites would definitely be:

Helen Mirren
    Cate Blanchette
    Marion Cotillard
    Jennifer Garner

All the boys looked gorgeous :)

marion cotillard is my new favourite.

i think her chanel dress at the baftas was possibly my favourite red carpet dress ever.

2008-02-10T212727Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_2_OFRTP-GB-CINEMA-BAFTA-20080210.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Poppy78

marion cotillard is my new favourite.

i think her chanel dress at the baftas was possibly my favourite red carpet dress ever.

2008-02-10T212727Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_2_OFRTP-GB-CINEMA-BAFTA-20080210.jpg

Yeah but she is so cool and chic she could get away with anything.

I however would look like a complete knobhead in either of those outfits.

My favourites would definitely be:

Helen Mirren
    Cate Blanchette
    Marion Cotillard
    Jennifer Garner

All the boys looked gorgeous :)

Meh. I don't know.

I'm not mad about Mirren's bling, chainmail arms, but she is such a shining beacon for how to grow old gracefully that I can put up with anything from her.

I usually look forward to seeing what fashion forward, only she could get away with, outfit Cate Blanchett is wearing, but she seems to always be pregnant around Oscar time. So her outfit is unfortunately a little traditional.

http://img.timeinc.net/people/i/2006/stylechannel/gallery/hit_or_miss/cate_blanchette2_300x400.jpg

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/cate-blanchett-the-good-german-hollywood-premiere-uNYbTI.jpg

http://www.rothschildimage.com/images/o/oscars_2005_cate_blanchett.jpg

http://www.fest21.com/files/images/Cate%20Blanchett_1.jpg

Luckily enough somebody created a replacement Cate Blanchette in the form of Marion Cotillard. That crazy couture stuff that designers send down the runway and every one thinks "But you could never get away with it in the real world," she gets away with - in the real world.

Garner's dress is a little boring and I think I hate her fringe, she usually has such shiny silky hair but it looks a bit lumpy in this photo.

And yes of course the boys looked lovely in their sexy tuxedos, but then it's easy for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I agree Jennifer Garners dress was a little boring Poppy78 but in fairness it was slim pickings and hers was def the best of a bad bunch IMO. Did you not think she wore it very well? Classic, elegant, she's a natural beauty.
    Hate all that tacky icky bling

I agree Jennifer Garners dress was a little boring Poppy78 but in fairness it was slim pickings and hers was def the best of a bad bunch IMO. Did you not think she wore it very well? Classic, elegant, she's a natural beauty.
    Hate all that tacky icky bling

Yes, she is a real timelessly elegant woman

http://www.shinystyle.tv/Jennifer%20Garner_The%20Kingdom%20premiere.JPG

Even in civvys

http://www.pursepage.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/jennifer-garners-purse1.jpg

And always happy looking too.

I think it might be the fringe putting me off.

I want to yell "Get that fringe out of your eyes young lady or you'll go blind" Like my mother did frequently throughout my teenage years. ( I wonder if fringe-induced blindness is a common medical complaint??)

I like Renee Zwellweger's offering

renee-zellweger-oscars-2008-01.jpg

I think she would have looked far better had she eaten in the past few months. Her hair is awful and she's waaaaaaaaaaay too thin. That dress would have been fab on someone with a bit more meat on their bones.

I was actually dreading renee's appearance on the red carpet.

I think I'm going to end up with permanent frown marks.

if I could just sit her down for five minutes and explain to her that she could actually potentially be beautiful and she's just throwing it away by being so damn skinny and miserable and badly haired.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 earljustine

I think Nichole Kidman's dress was very awesome. She really looks good with the dress.

Advertisement