Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many wifi connection can I have

Options
  • 10-10-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm have a 3com internet switch in my office which has 24 ports. Currently using about 12 wired off to different rooms. I am looking to purchase 30 tablets for training over the coming week. My 'Noob' question is this. If I purchase four wireless routers to cover the rooms and connect up to potentially 30 tablets at once will my current infrastructure (Switch) allow this? I appreciate that my download speed will be reduced which is acceptable but does a router connected to one of my 24 switches have any impact on the number of connections I'm allowed, or is it that the switch is solely there to bring , in my case 24 physical lines to 24 ports?
    Hopefully made myself clear.
    Tks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TommyQ

Firstly, Don't buy 4 wireless routers. You want access points, routers will only cause you hardship you don't need.

Secondly, Your switch will have absolutely no problem in dealing with the additional traffic and bandwidth requirements of the 30(isn) tablets.

My recommendation to you would be to pick up a pack of Ubiquity Wireless access points (roughly €160 - €200 notes) position them correctly within your office so they overlap but aren't sitting on top of each other. The you can download the Wireless Lan Controller software for them and configure them up. The software allows you to create one config and drop them onto all the AP's at once. It also supports roaming between AP's so users and march around the office and have a seamless experience using the wifi.

Now down to your question of Bandwidth expectations, The very most you would normally want to put onto 1 single access point would be between 12 - 16 connected users. Most AP's can handle 30 or so connected devices but the bandwidth becomes very thin at those numbers so my suggestion of the 3 pack of Ubiquity AP's would allow you to spread the load easily while only taking up 3 ports on your Switch.

Is your switch Managed/smart enabled. Also are you looking to provide MultiSSID support?

Advertisement