Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planet x Ireland

• 30-08-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody dealt with these lads? Should I just buy from the UK and take the hit on shipping? The bike I want isn't on the px Ireland site..... In fact it doesn't look very up-to-date at all. I'm a bit wary giving them a big wedge of cash and not receiving the goods!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Buy from the UK. A quick search on the forum will reveal a multitude of reasons why. I don't know how the Irish operation is still in business to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Does the UK site have an Irish VAT number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Irish site is a disaster. I'd stay well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Read a bit more about them on here and I'll stay clear.

Costs me about a tenner extra to buy from the UK with delivery so I'll go with them.

I've spoken to Athlone before and found their enthusiasm in selling me an on one underwhelming at best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

What are you thinking of going for OP? Considering them myself on a new bike... The general vibe from this forum has been putting me off them recently, however I wonder do people still rate their bikes?

I noticed a girl riding a lovely and clean Planet X frame through town the other day and it got me thinking...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Think I'm just over a week now waiting on an email response, won't he giving them a cent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I've been talking with PlanetX UK once over the phone, they were completely unaware of the Athlone store...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Alek wrote: »
    I've been talking with PlanetX UK once over the phone, they were completely unaware of the Athlone store...

that it exists at all or that their customer service is a bit lax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Er, wut?! As in, they're not licensed agents and just ordering from the uk website?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The UK store customer service is good, and I have contacted them a few times.
    As in, they're not licensed agents and just ordering from the uk website?

I have no idea, I'm just saying what I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

johnk123 wrote: »
    What are you thinking of going for OP? Considering them myself on a new bike... The general vibe from this forum has been putting me off them recently, however I wonder do people still rate their bikes?

I noticed a girl riding a lovely and clean Planet X frame through town the other day and it got me thinking...

It would be unfair to knock the bikes just because of the sloppy way the Planet X dealership in Ireland is run, I love my PX and most owners will say the same

johnk123 wrote: »

I've been looking at the spec of this for weeks and just cannot resist any konger

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWDEO/on-one-parkwood-shimano-deore-mountain-bike

So I called them and got a price. Called on one direct and they were extremely helpful. Ordered the bike online and including DHL shipping it works out cheaper..... Moral of my story, just buy from the UK but don't tell friends you're doing so because you get lumped with all their wishlists in with your order :D

Cheers folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Perhaps the person, you were talking to, was unaware of Planet X Ireland, but
    have a look at this:

http://planetxireland.com/about-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Er, wut?! As in, they're not licensed agents and just ordering from the uk website?

I think,if you look properly, you will find that they are exclusive suppliers for PlanetX product in Ireland. Refer to my previous post.

Sorry, I didn't see the ?, until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Planet X was a small start up company that just has a different way of doing things. It a bit of a maverick in the bike business. For example, they don't do very expensive promotion - glossy ads, supplying big teams, etc - so they don't get 'reviewed' or plugged much.
    One end result is that they are cheaper, but with less 'status'. They are good entry-to-mid-level race bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

fixie fox wrote: »
    One end result is that they are cheaper, but with less 'status'. They are good entry-to-mid-level race bikes.

To be fair, that's not really what's at issue here. I don't think anyone is challenging the quality of the product, but the service level being given is pretty bloody terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I would steer clear of the Irish store. I was in the market for a Planet X bike and after 1+ months chasing the store for updates I had to cancel my order. I subsequently sent a detailed e-mail to them explaining my experience and the experience of other members of my cycling club. Their answer is below, after I received this I never heard from them again. They don't seem to care.

I ended up going with the different bike in the end but I may approach them again and by directly from the UK in the future.

Mr X,
    Thankyou for the feedback. We take this information very seriously and I have passed this on to the relevant person to look into.
    I am sorry you have had this experience, as it is not the service we aim for heer at Planet X.
    Please be assured we will review this immediately,
    (Agents name removed)
    Customer Service Team Leader
    Planet X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

AltAccount wrote: »
    To be fair, that's not really what's at issue here. I don't think anyone is challenging the quality of the product, but the service level being given is pretty bloody terrible.

I bought mine direct from UK site - very efficient. And cheaper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

It is maddening the way the Irish store operates as the product is great. What the hell are they playing at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

AltAccount wrote: »
    the service level being given is pretty bloody terrible.

Unfortunately my experience too.
    Plus bought some stuff in the shop and asked jokingly that I hope I was paying more or less the same price of the UK site. Told of course but when I checked I nearly payed double. A few quid, ok bug double.

Won't be dealing again with PXI.

Advertisement