Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ruh-Roh!

• 29-08-2014 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

So I reinstated my single speed beater with a new back wheel last night as the old one had completely lost it's true and was rougher than a lost weekend in Bundoran.

This morning I used it for my short commute to the new job and heard an alarming grinding.

The chain ring is oscillating on the bb and coming into contact with the chain stay once s revolution.

Is this a job for a new bb or a deeper issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Can you feel any movement in the chainset when trying by hand (other than rotational of course) ?

Does the chainring itself look straight?

What BB does your bike take? (I may have a few old spares and live near ;-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Service the BB, some of the bearings may have come loose from their sockets.

That said, it'd want to be in royal rag order for the chaining to glance off the chain stays. Make sure the rear wheel is aligned properly after the refitting. You can do this by tightening the rear axel bolts gradually and with equal pressure.

Both of those together should fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Alek wrote: »
    Can you feel any movement in the chainset when trying by hand (other than rotational of course) ?

Does the chainring itself look straight?

What BB does your bike take? (I may have a few old spares and live near ;-) )

It did when I set off this morning. Have to measure the bb it's an old square taper. Actually the original from the bike . A Raleigh Outland.

Let me know how bad and how wide it is.

Let me know how bad and how wide it is.

Will measure iy when I get home. You around the Rat mines tonight?

• Advertisement

PM sent

PM sent

Thanks man. I'm not sure how naked pictures of yourself really help but I appreciate them anyway.

Will measure iy when I get home.

No worries, it will be long enough.

:D:P

Next question. How to remove this...

20140830_165227.jpg

20140830_165217.jpg

Big adjustable wrench. Been there, done that. WD40 it half an hour before, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Make sure the adjustable wrench fits snug or else you'll take lumps out of it if the wrench slips.

Then, when your BB is sorted, head to Woodies and get a bottle of Pathclear for the weeds :D

So had a bike maintenance play date with Alek tonight where he kindly donated an old BB and we discovered that the only reason the drive train ever worked at all was because of its disintegrating bottom bracket.

To be continued.

I honestly think that we can install this old BB further to the right and it will be all fine. Just get some spacers (3-5mm?) and come back :) There is plenty of thread left on the left cup for adjustment like this.

Advertisement