Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should it be illegal to cycle while wearing headphones? On the spot fine?

• 23-08-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Should it be illegal to cycle while wearing headphones? On the spot fine?

Just wondering other people's opinions on this? Maybe start a discussion.

I think it's a bit careless and potentially very dangerous for a cyclist to be on the public road and not be focused totally on the job of cycling safely from A to B?

Should it be illegal to cycle while wearing headphones? On the spot fine? 387 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    38% 149 votes
    Maybe
    61% 238 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is it any worse than a motorist, sitting comfortably, in a soundproof car, listening to his stereo, chatting to his passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What next.....ban those who are deaf/hard of hearing from cycling?

.....those who are old, those who don't have 4 limbs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Go home OP, you're talking brown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Is it any worse than a motorist, sitting comfortably, in a soundproof car, listening to his stereo, chatting to his passengers?

Well a motorist has mirrors and an almost 360 view of the area surrounding his or her car... A cyclist doesn't...

Regardless, my position on motorists being focused 100% on safely getting from A to B is the same as for cyclists. Using mobiles etc

It's a bit of a strange argument to point at the wrong doings of motorists to justify the wrong doings of cyclists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

What next.....ban those who are deaf/hard of hearing from cycling?

.....those who are old, those who don't have 4 limbs etc.

That's actually a good point re the hearing impaired. I hadn't considered that before.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Well a motorist has mirrors and an almost 360 view of the area surrounding his or her car... A cyclist doesn't..
    A cyclist has much better visual awareness of what going on around their bike than any motorist. All vehicle have blind spots and those with no side or rear windows, such as trucks and vans, will have excessive blind areas.

...and mirrors are only effective if actually used properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭mrty

Don't know about a fine but I do think it should be illegal. For obvious reasons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wear headphones alot when I cycle and when I'm in an urban environment I can't always hear them due to the traffic, same for when I'm descending a big hill too.

Relying on your hearing when you're on the bike is just not reliable enough, you have to always check visually.

Another thing to consider is if you see someone not paying attention when they've headphones is that would they pay attention if they didn't have them in? If you see someone breeze through a red light with headphones on there's a huge chance they'd do the same with headphones off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

mrty wrote: »
    Don't know about a fine but I do think it should be illegal. For obvious reasons.

Why?

I see people walking and driving with headphones in so why should it illegal on a bike? And what about motorcyclists with their helmets - don't they impair hearing?

I don't use headphones but when I'm out for a spin with a group I'm probably more distracted than I'd ever be with headphones on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Deedsie wrote: »
    Well a motorist has mirrors and an almost 360 view of the area surrounding his or her car... A cyclist doesn't...

Regardless, my position on motorists being focused 100% on safely getting from A to B is the same as for cyclists. Using mobiles etc

It's a bit of a strange argument to point at the wrong doings of motorists to justify the wrong doings of cyclists

What's wrong with driving with the stereo on, chatting to passengers?

I've driven vehicles where the use of ear protection was mandatory while the engine was running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I listen to the radio on my earphones all the time when cycling. I can hear all going on around me. It's a different thing blocking out your surroundings listening to, say, thrash or techno. But ultimately the criterion is whether you are paying due attention, whether you're a pedestrian, cyclist or driver. IMO it's pure nonsense to restrict any of these classes from listening to media when on the public highway.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Go home OP, you're talking brown
    If you have a problem with a post or poster use the report post function. Do not start telling other posters what to do or where to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I understand the point if somebody is zoned out to the point of not paying attention, but I listen to music when I'm cycling and am always hyper-aware of my surroundings. You kind of have to be in Dublin city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

I don't use headphones when out for a spin as just feel getting out on the bike with no distractions etc is the best and just listening to the sounds around is enough, I have no problem with someone just using a single ear bud but those with their big "Beats" etc are just taking the piss. Get out on your bike and leave the distractions of everyday world crap behind for the hour or two your on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

A fine? Probably not. I'd rather see them police the one thing that bugs most motorists which is cyclists breaking lights constantly. I still can't believe how many do this every day of the week.

However do I think it's safe? Absolutely not. Pure stupidity imo. It's hard enough to stay safe on a bike these days without having a headphone in your ear.

I was out earlier for a 30k approx spin on the bike. I was nearly clipped by a van who was too impatient to delay passing me until the car on the other side of the road went by and also passed very unsafely by a tractor and large trailer on a country road. I was doin about 30km on said road, he flew by me. God knows what speed he was doing.

As both a cyclist and a motorist I just think people need to think before they act and that's both cyclists and motorists. We share the road. Stay safe all.

Edit... Lastly I just saw someone say above its nice to be in your own thoughts on a cycle. I couldn't agree more. The beautiful countryside etc is more than enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Sometimes, when the wind blows a certain way, I can't hear anything while cycling. I think we should ban the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I agree with the OP, headphones on cyclists should be banned. For exactly the same reason, of course, we should also remove all in vehicle audio - radios, CD players since it's been shown that audio devices in cars reduce hearing more than cyclists headphones. Obviously this needs to be a dual approach law with the other half being mandatory full face helmets for cyclists and all drivers given the high risk of head injuries to both types of road users in accidents.

Alternatively, a bit of cop on and tolerance for others from everyone using the road and we'll all be safer without needing to don kevlar every time we step out the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

A fine? Probably not. I'd rather see them police the one thing that bugs most motorists which is cyclists breaking lights constantly.

Well, that did not take long :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

bigar wrote: »
    Well, that did not take long :rolleyes:

It's true though. What's the point in bringing in new fines if we can't police the most obvious of all?

Roll eyes all ya like but personally I like to be safe in my car and on my bike. Rules like not breaking lights are there for a reason, you know safety, staying alive and all that lark.

Anyway I wasn't trying to start a conversation about the lights as I know people are for and against. I was just saying although it's probably a good idea to put a fine on the use of earphones for everyone's safety I don't see the point as we don't police the laws we already have.

Motorists are just as bad. I saw several people on their phones driving earlier.

A seriously under policed country really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are noise generators mandatory on electric vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

You can't leave cyclists alone with their thoughts for extended periods of time. They're barely sane as it is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nope. But it should be illegal to listen to crap music.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

I always listen to podcasts while cycling. Best of both worlds. Not as loud as music so You can hear around you and have your mind occupied while cycling. I don't enjoy cycling alone without headphones. I use the time on the bike to catch up on the news and sports I miss during the week. If out with friends or on a sportive I don't use headphones tho. I can honestly say I wouldn't go out as much if I couldn't listen to my podcasts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

knipper wrote: »
    I always listen to podcasts while cycling. Best of both worlds. Not as loud as music so You can hear around you and have your mind occupied while cycling. I don't enjoy cycling alone without headphones. I use the time on the bike to catch up on the news and sports I miss during the week. If out with friends or on a sportive I don't use headphones tho. I can honestly say I wouldn't go out as much if I couldn't listen to my podcasts.

Me too, if anything I go cycling to listen to podcasts!

It's hard enough to stay safe on a bike these days without having a headphone in your ear.

I was out earlier for a 30k approx spin on the bike. I was nearly clipped by a van who was too impatient to delay passing me until the car on the other side of the road went by and also passed very unsafely by a tractor and large trailer on a country road. I was doin about 30km on said road, he flew by me. God knows what speed he was doing.

Cycling isn't that dangerous!

Anyway if you'd been listening to headphones would that have affected those incidents you mentioned?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Cycling isn't that dangerous!

Anyway if you'd been listening to headphones would that have affected those incidents you mentioned?

There's definitely more dangerous sports out there but its certainly not the safest of hobbies/commute options.

Whether those incidents would have turned out any differently isn't the issue. Maybe they would maybe they wouldn't.
    I only pointed them out to emphasise we've enough to be dealing with without purposely increasing the potential risk.

I personally believe that earphones are just another hazard/distraction that are just completely unnecessary tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭mrty

Jawgap wrote: »
    Why?

I see people walking and driving with headphones in so why should it illegal on a bike? And what about motorcyclists with their helmets - don't they impair hearing?

I don't use headphones but when I'm out for a spin with a group I'm probably more distracted than I'd ever be with headphones on.

People in cars shouldn't be driving whilst wearing headphones its ludicrous. Nobody in charge of any vehicle should be listening to music through headphones. Motorcycle helmets are designed so your hearing is impeded as little as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

mrty wrote: »
    People in cars shouldn't be driving whilst wearing headphones its ludicrous.

Why? whats the difference between that and the radio? (assuming the wire isn't getting in the way).

tbh its as futile as making high viz, helmets & lights compulsory.

trying to get all road users to behave in a sensible manner and respect each other is whats needed to make the roads safer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement