Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dinosaurs! (And other magazines you collected)

• 13-06-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw an ad yesterday for a collectable magazine and it had me thinking of the ones I used to constantly demand with Dinosaurs being top of the list.
    IlSfnSk.jpg?1
    Magazine had me knowing everything about the things! And everything has probably now been disproven. Bastard paleontologists with their discoveries :mad: But I did get a glow in the dark T-Rex skeleton out of it :D

Anybody else have one of these publications they used to collect/force their parents to buy for them? :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Had the same mag as above but they got too expensive for me to be buying them every week. There was an ad for a magazine about history, the ad went on about how Queen Victoria had black teeth, all i can remember about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Ruu wrote: »
    Had the same mag as above but they got too expensive for me to be buying them every week. There was an ad for a magazine about history, the ad went on about how Queen Victoria had black teeth, all i can remember about it.

I think that might have been Tree of Knowledge, circa 1991. I had some of those.

Also the Great Artists, I was doing Art for the Leaving Cert and they were helpful for the Art History bit.

And Talking Classics...audiobooks on tape or CD. Tess of the D'Urbervilles was the first one (great story).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Others I can remember were How My Body Works (Pretty sure there was a cartoon based on that or vice-versa)

Oh and Who?What?When?Where?Why?

Who?
    What? When? Where? Why?
    How did it start?
    What is that up in the sky? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

I collected "The Movie", which was a part-work from 1979/80/81. Fabulous history of cinema, of course now well out of date, but great for the early days.

In later years, I bought the Star Trek Fact Files.....never got the entire set, because they became harder to find here, and it just went on and on and on..... never even opened some of the issues, let alone file them in the binders - something I'll keep for my retirement free time :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just saw an ad yesterday for a collectable magazine and it had me thinking of the ones I used to constantly demand with Dinosaurs being top of the list.
    IlSfnSk.jpg?1
    Magazine had me knowing everything about the things! And everything has probably now been disproven. Bastard paleontologists with their discoveries :mad: But I did get a glow in the dark T-Rex skeleton out of it :D

Anybody else have one of these publications they used to collect/force their parents to buy for them? :pac:

Yeah, the current thinking is T-Rex never stood upright like in the pic!

Remember a mate of mine got the X Files part works...he was a bit of a tinfoil hat wearer tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

http://i.imgur.com/IlSfnSk.jpg?1

I loved this. I think that I only got to book 3 before I lost interest

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I used to collect Treasures of the Earth.

62041.jpg

It was pretty boring but I used to tell my mam I was really interested in it so she'd keep buying it...all I really wanted was to collect the pretty gemstones, you got one with each edition, and at one point you got a collector's box for them too!

img00045-20110411-1630.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I remember that one! Always wondered who actually bought it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I remember that one! Always wondered who actually bought it :pac:

I used to have to take the magazines out every week or so and read them to make it look like I was interested :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I used to collect Treasures of the Earth.

62041.jpg

It was pretty boring but I used to tell my mam I was really interested in it so she'd keep buying it...all I really wanted was to collect the pretty gemstones, you got one with each edition, and at one point you got a collector's box for them too!

img00045-20110411-1630.jpg

We have 3/4 of those boxes somewhere! And folders of all the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭badger57

I had a load of Horrible History magazines with the trading cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The World of Knowledge in 1979 was the first.

Then
    The Unexplained.
    The Home Computer Course.
    Input.
    Nam - The Vietnam Experience
    Eyewitness Nam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I was never into Dinosaurs but used to have tons of comics and magazines. My mother lived in England but I grew up over here and our main contact throughout my childhood was the weekly postal delivery of worthy childrens' magazines like "The World of Wonder", "Treasure" and "Tell Me Why". I enjoyed them but preferred the more exciting Beano, Dandy, Victor and Hotspur.

TMWcover.jpg
    Source: http://lewstringer.blogspot.ie/

At secondary school I graduated to the small format war comics (see below) and these were much sought after to be as good as currency amongst the pupils!

COMMANDO_June14.jpg

After school my collecting took on a more grown-up (boring) nature - tons of bird magazines and later on railway magazines (6-8 titles per month). Then there were magazines like the "Phoenix" of which I used to have a complete run - long since gone to a recycling centre - minus a few relevant pages. At the end of the day I found that most magazines that I bought were read once and then took up shelf space...

To say that I've downsized my reading of such stuff would be an enormous understatement as nowadays I subscribe to no magazines whatsoever, read the Phoenix in my local newsagent and the Arts & Antiques page of Saturday's Irish Times over a pint in my local - the pub's paper of course!

I think I'd probably still read one of the Commando magazines if a copy crossed my path - where else would you learn about such things as Englander Pig Dogs, Beware of the Hun in the Sun, Japs shouting 'Banzai' and Frenchies muttering 'Sale Boche'. No wonder I'm such a xenophobic old reactionary. :D

My parents still have the full issue of Tree of Knowledge from the early 90s. I think it was 120 issues in 4 or 5 binders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

We were always collecting these when i was growing up

My mam collected one about wildlife while my youngest brother collected the dinosaurs one and "Bugs"

I would ve collected "the unexplained", "nam" and "images of war" as well as one about planes.

Oh the money we spent/wasted. Am shocked when i see how much collectable magazines are these days

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

This book blew my mind when I was a kid.

LifeBefore.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Owryan wrote: »

Oh the money we spent/wasted. Am shocked when i see how much collectable magazines are these days

esp those ones with 'build your very own model something or other', one part with each issue...you'd have bought an already built model or a kit a couple of times over based on the price of the complete set of part works. Con job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

At secondary school I graduated to the small format war comics (see below) and these were much sought after to be as good as currency amongst the pupils!

COMMANDO_June14.jpg

After school my collecting took on a more grown-up (boring) nature - tons of bird magazines and later on railway magazines (6-8 titles per month). Then there were magazines like the "Phoenix" of which I used to have a complete run - long since gone to a recycling centre - minus a few relevant pages. At the end of the day I found that most magazines that I bought were read once and then took up shelf space...

To say that I've downsized my reading of such stuff would be an enormous understatement as nowadays I subscribe to no magazines whatsoever, read the Phoenix in my local newsagent and the Arts & Antiques page of Saturday's Irish Times over a pint in my local - the pub's paper of course!

I think I'd probably still read one of the Commando magazines if a copy crossed my path - where else would you learn about such things as Englander Pig Dogs, Beware of the Hun in the Sun, Japs shouting 'Banzai' and Frenchies muttering 'Sale Boche'. No wonder I'm such a xenophobic old reactionary. :D

I loved Commando! My uncles gave me their copies when I was a kid so I had about a hundred of these from the late 1960s right up to the mid 1970s :)

Same for New Scientist. I've copies of that from 1967/68 that talk about how man will land on the moon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

In our primary school we had a few shelves full of old World of Knowledge and Tell Me Why's and also the World of Wonder.

WOW001-01.jpg

I preferred comics like Buster, Whoopee and later 2000AD though.

There was one a bit like Tomorrows World I got a few issues of - I think it was called Insight.

Also used look forward to the Daily Mail Motor Show Review each year.

In the 90's I asked a local shop to get me each edition of The Blues Collection (with free tape). I forgot about it for a few months and had 14-15 editions awaiting payment next time I went in.

1750140.jpg

Advertisement