Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spider crab locations

• 30-05-2014 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭

Hi all can anybody tell me few best locations to hunt for spider crab, also is there any regulations on sizes or any other ? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Well, I for one like to see them when I'm diving, and it's not as if the place is teeming with them, so, No, I won't tell you where to go to hunt them.

What method were you planning on using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭renas

Well, I for one like to see them when I'm diving, and it's not as if the place is teeming with them, so, No, I won't tell you where to go to hunt them.

What method were you planning on using?

Well guess i dont need to tell you that either, only genuine replies please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...What method were you planning on using?
    renas wrote: »
    Well guess i dont need to tell you that either...

The reason I asked was to let you know: If you're planning on using scuba, it would be illegal.

...only genuine replies please

And what was my reply? A forgery?

Well i know scuba is illegal , and yes it was couse instead of just mentioning scuba is illegal ( which i know so you had no success ) you tried to catch me on something here, so lets just say i need no further discusion with you, and we stop right here, as per other diving fans, if anybody can give an advice or any tips i would really appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Spiders are really plentiful AFAIK, they swarm up the coasts in late Spring early summer. They are commercially fished here (my two year old just picked one up on a pier in Connemara this afternoon) so I wouldn't worry morally about taking them, leaving aside the legalities of it. Not sure how feasible it would be to do it by hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

they gather to mate, so please leave the females behind to make more for next year. in this way it can be sustainable. the females have smaller thinner claws. know how to tell the difference under water. one male spider cleaned properly is a lot of food, they are huge. so no need for large catches.

Thanks on advice i know it can be tricky to pick one by hand couse they can snap you even if you hold them from the back ,but im thinking to use loop instead of hand just to prevent any surprises ,about breeding females i have my own rules i follow so anyone who is taking females with egs not deserving my respect either, its all simple rules we all should understand but where is the best place to look for them ?!?!?? Thats the main point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

where is the best place to look for them ?!?!?? Thats the main point :)

Try the fish mongers - or any rocky cost line with lots of kelp. West coats is best but if you want bigger crabs it's best to go at first light.

Appreciate for advice, was planing to go somewhere near galway any good locations there ? Also wondering can anybody recommend the place to go snorkeling to see as much sea life as possible, just to clear my brain and enjoy a good time watching fish and other sea creatures moving around..

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Appreciate for advice, was planing to go somewhere near galway any good locations there ? Also wondering can anybody recommend the place to go snorkeling to see as much sea life as possible, just to clear my brain and enjoy a good time watching fish and other sea creatures moving around..

Have had them free diving at blackhead Co Clare and Inisheer

This is what you're hoping for ,right? :D

• Advertisement

gavkm27 wrote: »
    Have had them free diving at blackhead Co Clare and Inisheer

This is what you're hoping for ,right? :D

Exactly :D ,so far summer is here so i need to rush couse once rainy days comes ,usually it wont stop for long..

Advertisement