Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quick question please

Options
  • 23-01-2014 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I know alot of people hate this but was looking to put the "choo" pigeon effect noise into the car when i let off the throttle. Any body know what i have to do with it sounding like a ould massey ferguson 35 all the time like some of the boras around. Help with be greatly appreciated. its a 320d e46
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You are looking for a 'felt spec dump valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 diar1000

Dose this give me the diesel chooo or a sssss if you get what i mean. Thanks a million for the responce.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Don't waste your money. You'll only look a prat with one of those things.

I know alot of people dont like it, but i like it alot. I cant find this felt spec dump valve anywhere, any chance of a link pplease and thanks..

diar1000 wrote: »
    I know alot of people dont like it, but i like it alot. I cant find this felt spec dump valve anywhere, any chance of a link pplease and thanks..

CJ is being a little tongue-in-cheek above. You're after a fake dump-valve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

jimgoose wrote: »
    CJ is being a little tongue-in-cheek above. You're after a fake dump-valve.

Thought the orgasmic pigeon chooooo needed a straight pipe, de cat?
    Dumpvalve just gets you "tissh"? But hey, I know nothing about agri vehicles.

Yeah i was thinking that myself. If i got a straight pipe and still kept my own standard back box would it work

Yeah i was thinking that myself. If i got a straight pipe and still kept my own standard back box would it work

Apparently diesels with straight pipes make the sexy "Chooo" sound. It has to do with the wastegate and harmonics and what-have-you. You could just use a fake wastegate, and thus get even more street-cred seeing as diesels have no use for dumpvalves. :D

dont think there is a waste gate in 320d. If i just got a straight pipe as far as the backbox would it give me the sexy choo?

dont think there is a waste gate in 320d. If i just got a straight pipe as far as the backbox would it give me the sexy choo?

You should get plenty turbo "howl" that way, I should think. Bear in mind tha if you interfere with the cat you might run into emissions issues. And yes, I know it doesn't have a wastegate, hence my suggestion of an electronic yowler box! What year is the car?

• Advertisement

thats good. its a 2002 320d. what is the electronic yowler box?. would it sound like a tractor by just puitting straight pipe to backbox.? also if i just took out cat and put small bit of a section exhaust in would it do the same thing? Thanks for your responce

thats good. its a 2002 320d. what is the electronic yowler box?. would it sound like a tractor by just puitting straight pipe to backbox.? also if i just took out cat and put small bit of a section exhaust in would it do the same thing? Thanks for your responce

Right. It's pre-Euro 4, so IIRC that's smoke-test only, so as long as she's running fairly right the emissions end of it should be alright. The presence of the back-box will take the tractory edge off it and still give you some turbo noise. If I were you I'd spring for a factory-made aftermarket exhaust product of some sort. Check around the various enthusiasts forums. And an "electronic yowler box" is basically a speaker and some electronickery that makes a noise when you lift off the accelerator. In the case of a fake dumpvalve it goes "Phhssssss". A fake wastegate would go "Whoooo"! :D

Thanks, i think i might go for the straight pipe, seems quiet dear on the internet througt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Mod Warning:

Be civil and keep it friendly. Might not be to your taste or whatever but be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You should get plenty turbo "howl" that way, I should think. Bear in mind tha if you interfere with the cat you might run into emissions issues. And yes, I know it doesn't have a wastegate, hence my suggestion of an electronic yowler box! What year is the car?

All diesels are smoke test only, rather than emissions tested (as far as I'm aware anyway)

Also mostly all diesels have recirc valves rather than a wastegate, helps keeps the turbo spooled.

All diesels are smoke test only, rather than emissions tested (as far as I'm aware anyway)

Also mostly all diesels have recirc valves rather than a wastegate, helps keeps the turbo spooled.

Hmm. I believe they're tested for hydrocarbon and NO since Euro-3 in 2000? And yes, you mean the EGR.

EDIT: No, just looked at an NCT manual there, smoke-test only. Still, fiddling with the cat/DPF can cause particulate problems with newer yokes.

Still, fiddling with the cat/DPF can cause particulate problems with newer yokes.

Yup, depends on the year - but the most common problem is not getting ones that fool the ECU into thinking they're still there. Warning lights all over the place. On the E46 this is only required from Nov 2003 onwards.

Also, the E46 has more than one cat in the exhaust system. There's the centre cat, but there's also a cat in the downpipe

also from wiki:
    Most Diesel engines have no use for a blow off valve as they do not have a throttle plate.

ie. no need to relieve any sudden pressure

:)

...also from wiki:

ie. no need to relieve any sudden pressure

:)

Indeed. I said that in post #9! :D

Indeed. I said that in post #9! :D

If you did I missed it :P

Advertisement