Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emirates stopover: free hotel?

• 11-07-2012 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

Looking to travel Dublin to Iraq via Dubai with Emirates later in the year, all being well.

The stopover is about 13 hours on the way out and 11hrs 45mins on the way back - ie arriving in Dubai evening and departing early morning.

Do Emirates provide some sort of free hotel arrangement for this kind of stopover or is it up to passengers to look after this themselves?

It'd be handy to know if I need to factor in possible hotel costs on top of the air fare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

never heard of hotel accom being provided during a stopover.

I have not experience of Emirates though, so perhaps they are different, but it would be unusual. Particularly if you are just standard cabin class/economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

We flew back from Auckland to Heathrow 10 years ago with JAL and this involved a stop over in Tokyo. The flights (not a package deal) included an overnight in an airport hotel. We even got to check our bags in at the hotel and just had to pick them up when we got to Dublin in the end. That bit was pretty cool. Especially since my bag was *way* over weight and the hotel check in didn't care about the weight.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

can anyone else shed any light on this?

why don't you phone Emirates - I'm sure they have a desk in Dublin airport

Or if you know the flight number you could put it in here and see what they say is offered?
    http://www.emirates.com/ie/english/flying/service_finder/service_finder.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jeepers! they do offer free hotel stays in certain cases of long stopovers when theres no earlier connection AND your ticket is of a high enough fare class.

Business and first class is automatically entitled and "Economy Class passengers with a connection time until the first available flight of more than eight hours and less than 24 hours upon arrival in Dubai, and who have qualifying tickets."

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan_book/essential_information/long_stopovers.aspx

they also say what the previous posters said, i.e. :
    "If you are booking your flights on emirates.com, please check with your local Emirates office that your itinerary/fare qualifies, before you finalise your booking online."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Thanks Little Ted, I tried that services link but it isn't showing anything. I'll give them a call.

Conditions are as follows:

Stopover time has to be 8hrs or more.

The total fare excluding taxes must be a minimum of $1,100.

My fare didn't qualify unfortunately...

yeah thought so - these services are usually offered to the people paying the big bucks! unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Sorry to drag up an old...(ish) thread but I booked a flight there recently with Emirates and they offer a free hotel and meals and the flight was only 480 euro. It was a 10 hour layover in Dubai so they must have changed it. Does anyone know what hotel is offered and if it is actually worth going to a hotel during a 10 hour layover? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi it'll be the copthorne hotel on emirates economy, it's very near the airport, was there last year and going there again in 7 days time as we've a 9hr lay over, it's a break from the airport, it's a standard hotel rooms ok, food not great but it'll do, but at least you can sleep for a few hours and shower ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aineb2001

Hi sorry to re open this post again, but Im flying to Perth in 2 wks and have a 10hour stop over in Dubai with emirates from midnight til 10am- just wondering how do I book this free hotel, I would love a sleep from that time-do I have to ring emirates or did I have to book it when I booked my flights?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Just ring emirates and ask them, even if you should have booked it during flight booking there's no harm in asking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭acotone

Hi,

I inquired at the Emirates office in Hong Kong , they told me that there are 2 conditions for economy ticket holders
    -minimum of 8 hrs stopover
    -ticket price should exceed 1200 dollars

Ended up in the airport hotel which was excellent as they pick you up at the gate, it is expensive but in my view worth the money as the terminal does not have many spaces/chairs to rest. The free hotel is outside the airport which is also a bit of a hassle.

regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

aineb2001 wrote: »
    Hi sorry to re open this post again, but Im flying to Perth in 2 wks and have a 10hour stop over in Dubai with emirates from midnight til 10am- just wondering how do I book this free hotel, I would love a sleep from that time-do I have to ring emirates or did I have to book it when I booked my flights?
    Thanks

Hi, give emirates a ring and see what they say, we had the cheapest ticket and when we rang they said we were not entitled as ticket was too cheap, but was looking at my manage my booking one day about two weeks before we left and up on it was that we were entitled to lay over hotel and that you book there and then and you collect the voucher in dublin airport, but if hotel is full your screwed.... Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

If you fly business class they generally put you up in The Meridien

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The airport transit hotel is expensive, about 200 Euro for a night, so its worth getting a cheap hotel in Dubai (If there is such a thing) with a shuttle bus, the airport itself is ok, but for a long period its as boring as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

I had a 7 hour layover in DXB a few years ago. I treated myself to the very expensive transit hotel. Located inside the airport - my hotel room overlooked the boarding gates. It was weird to get up out of bed and 10 minutes later I was at the boarding gates !

Only worth it if you have money to spare though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The airport isnt bad but compared to Singapore isnt great. You can kill an hour or 2 shopping. But there isnt really a place to sleep as such in the airport(the chairs are horrible). I had a 23 hour stopover and went into Dubai city and it was worth it for a few hours.

Advertisement