Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

The Garmin arrived yesterday! What a great piece of kit!!

Probably a stupid question, but I have a Forerunner 410 as well and this uses an ANT "dongle" to download the data from the watch...

Am I right in reading that the ONLY way to download your data to Garmin training centre or Connect from the Edge 500 is via the USB connection?

Thanks

Ck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Reading it a bit late.. Is there still a way to get the 500 at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Reading it a bit late.. Is there still a way to get the 500 at that price?
    Best Buy still seem to have it at that pricew so if you know of someone in the UK who could pick one up then yes. Alernatively, you could try other sites with similar match pricing policies to the one which Evans HAD. If it doesn't work out for you then it'll serve you right for posting this over in the Broomwagon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Wiggle are doing 10% extra off current sale prices of all tyres.

Picked up a pair of Gatorskins for 46 euro there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Edge 500 arrived. Ordered the blue one, but wanted the black one. Got the black one! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Now this isn't an Edge 500 but there's Garmin 305s to be had on Amazon.co.uk for 110 euro. They come with a heart rate monitor too.

is the speed/cadence sensor needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Not exactly needed but sure is the 500 needed? Cadence is good to monitor but you'll get speed from the GPS anyway. The cadance/speed sensor is only about 35quid on amazon at the moment though - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Speed-Cadence-Sensor-Forerunner/dp/B000BFNOT8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314106953&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

manafana wrote: »
    is the speed/cadence sensor needed?
    No. However since the unit operates on GPS which has limited accuracy, it tells you your speed by looking at the time and distance between the current and last sample points. Should work fine in theory, but GPS is only accurate to around 1m - 2m, so it's always going to be a little off. A speed sensor on the wheel by contrast is going to be fairly spot on.
    The speed sensor also gives you speed when you have no GPS signal, but we don't do much cave biking in this country :D
    In densely wooded areas while MTBing, perhaps signal is an issue.

Cadence is cadence, I love it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

seamus wrote: »
    GPS is only accurate to around 1m - 2m, so it's always going to be a little off

If you have a reasonable differential correction signal (e.g. WAAS, AGPS) you might sometimes get 1-2m, but I wouldn't bank on it. With no corrections you'll be getting 10-20m, and even with corrections on a consumer grade GPS you hit some serious interference factors. From http://www.maps-gps-info.com/gps-accuracy.html
    GPS accuracy is affected by a number of factors, including satellite positions, noise in the radio signal, atmospheric conditions, and natural barriers to the signal. Noise can create an error between 1 to 10 meters and results from static or interference from something near the receiver or something on the same frequency. Objects such a mountains or buildings between the satellite and the receiver can also produce error, sometimes up to 30 meters.

A cadence sensor is going to be important for anyone measuring speed and shorter distances. GPS really comes into it's own for navigation and measuring longer distances (which is where cadence becomes weaker).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Also if you intend turboing it up over the winter its nice to still have speed and cadence if your turbo doesnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

For what it's worth, my Garmin registers no speed or distance at all when I use it on a turbo trainer, despite my cadence sensor recording my cadence. I seem to recall it being mentioned before, on here I think, that it can be difficult (/impossible?) to get the Garmin to take speed/distance info from the cadence sensor despite the fact that it should be able to do so quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From what I can tell from a quick google, the latest firmware for the 500 fixes that issue.

If not, then you can disable GPS before getting on the turbo trainer and it will do all calculations from the sensor. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

doozerie wrote: »
    For what it's worth, my Garmin registers no speed or distance at all when I use it on a turbo trainer, despite my cadence sensor recording my cadence. I seem to recall it being mentioned before, on here I think, that it can be difficult (/impossible?) to get the Garmin to take speed/distance info from the cadence sensor despite the fact that it should be able to do so quite easily.

I've read if you turn the GPS off it should rely on the spoke magnet for speed+distance. Seem to recall I found the same thing ages ago. Not sure but I think with GPS left on,I started the timer and it registered both. This was with the 705 unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

What is the cheapest place for an all-in Garmin 500 bundle, cadence&HR included?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Plastik wrote: »
    What is the cheapest place for an all-in Garmin 500 bundle, cadence&HR included?

possibly handtec.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

doozerie wrote: »

You just need to turn off the GPS so it knows to take a reading from the sensor.

There is a specific mode for this but can't remember what it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Plastik wrote: »

I think Fran83 in cycling adverts has a good deal on one. Not sure if he's only selling it with the powertap wheel though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cycle Superstores Wednesday deal is the Edge 500 sans hr and cadence for €169.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 j_s

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Cycle Superstores Wednesday deal is the Edge 500 sans hr and cadence for €169.95
    that's a good deal. You won't get it cheaper in UK. but computer is definitely for serious cyclists...
    i thought it can't do navigation but
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAEM26w0bgg
    watch from 2:10! That's mad

j_s wrote: »
    that's a good deal. You won't get it cheaper in UK. but computer is definitely for serious cyclists...
    i thought it can't do navigation but
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAEM26w0bgg
    watch from 2:10! That's mad

Do you shill much? This is your only other post. I think you'll find that most of us here are very happy with the Edge 500 which we acquired for much cheaper elsewhere. Some feedback for your bosses - the cyclesuperstore Wednesday Deals have been fairly lame for quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

Giro helmet for €20!!! was emailed this today from BikeRadar. might be handy as a 2nd helmet now the cold rain is coming as opposed to the warm rain all "summer"
    http://www.bikeradardailydeals.com/index.php?pop=skip

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

not much of a bargain

10% off at CRC if you spend over £100

ROW10%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

not much of a bargain

10% off at CRC if you spend over £100

ROW10%

Not too shabby if your in the market for a bike !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fatcheese have 10% off €88 at crc & 3% cashback. Valid till 31/08
    http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/chain-reaction-cycles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

snubbleste wrote: »
    Fatcheese have 10% off €88 at crc & 3% cashback. Valid till 31/08
    http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/chain-reaction-cycles

I'm in the market for a bike ATM. Got the email but this'll add a bit omre spice to the search, thanks

If anyone in Cork and/or will be attending the SKT 90km this weekend bought themselves a medium sized Giro Prolight helmet in black or black/red and would be interested in a straight swap for a black/blue medium Prolight helmet please PM me. Cheers.

edit - Mods, I cringe a little every time I read this thread's title. Please be so kind as to change the third 'O' in 'DOOONNN' to 'NN' as per pprendeville's suggestion here. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

@Lemag as the OP of this thread you can change the title yourself by double clicking beside it on the forum page. It's a fairly useful thing to know.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭g0g

Just saw over in BA that Sports Direct have free shipping at the moment. Was just scanning their cycle gear and saw some pretty cheap stuff. Cycle shoes for £ 22.00 and shorts even cheaper than recent Adidas ones at £ 13.00. Dunno if it's all muck or not, but the prices are as good as the likes of the Aldi/Lidl prices or better.
    63618003_l.jpg

Lots of stuff there g0g. Very hard to resist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lemag wrote: »
    Lots of stuff there g0g. Very hard to resist.

Am being tempted by this: http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-phatsta-city-bike-933042

93304201_l.jpg

It's cheaper than a lot of the second-hand MTBs out there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement