Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JC Decaux stickers around Dublin: "We stole your fu**ing bicycle".

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

random, yep, but i think the guys (whoever) did a great job.

the whole bicyle deal seems dodgy enough, and once again nobody in this country seems to care. these guys do care however, so fair play to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The French do it louder and harder!!

Babel fish transaltion not the best....(mensonge = a lie or falsehood)

Twenty hours of police custody for 6 militants anti-pub of the " Déboulonneurs" PARIS - Six members of the collective antipublicitaire of Déboulonneurs spent 20 hours as a police custody after having " barbouillé" three billboards in IXe district of Paris, one learned Sunday from police source. " In 34 actions, c' is the first time that daubers are not slackened by the police force with l' four hours exit lawful d' interpellation" , s' the collective is made indignant, which each month organizes such actions of civil disobedience in order to denounce l' giant posting. Saturday afternoon, the six militants had registered slogans antipublicitaires on three panels of l' bill-poster Future (group JC Decaux), located Rochechouart boulevard, in IXe district. Inter alia slogans, one could read " window of the mensonge" , " violence économique" or " legitimate réponse". With l' exit of this action, the daubers were challenged and led to the police station of VIIIe district. They n' were slackened that Sunday midday, with l' 20 hours exit of police custody. According to the police source, an preliminary investigation for " dégradation" was open on instruction of the parquet floor. The déboulonneurs say not to want " to remove the publicité" but " to give to its place". They claim that the billboards are limited to 50 X 70 cm, like l' associative posting.

http://www.romandie.com/ats/news/090301152509.346hujju.asp

By the way - despite my sig. the stickers aren't me - fair play to whoever it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is some of the prime bikerack space going to be taken by these bikes,

are there enough as there is.

i know they already don't like having bikes on the o'connell median

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

saw this on Camden st on Friday.
    This one says "this is now the property of JC.."

somebody is taking the pis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

PARIS - Six membres du collectif antipublicitaire des Déboulonneurs ont passé 20 heures en garde à vue après avoir "barbouillé" trois panneaux publicitaires dans le IXe arrondissement de Paris, a-t-on appris dimanche de source policière.

"En 34 actions, c'est la première fois que des barbouilleurs ne sont pas relâchés par la police à l'issue des quatre heures réglementaires d'interpellation", s'est indigné le collectif, qui chaque mois organise de telles actions de désobéissance civile afin de dénoncer l'affichage géant.

Samedi après-midi, les six militants avaient inscrit des slogans antipublicitaires sur trois panneaux de l'afficheur Avenir (groupe JC Decaux), situés boulevard Rochechouart, dans le IXe arrondissement. Entre autres slogans, on pouvait lire "vitrine du mensonge", "violence économique" ou encore "légitime réponse".

A l'issue de cette action, les barbouilleurs ont été interpellés et conduits au commissariat du VIIIe arrondissement. Ils n'ont été relâchés que dimanche midi, à l'issue de 20 heures de garde à vue.

Selon la source policière, une enquête préliminaire pour "dégradation" a été ouverte sur instruction du parquet.

Les déboulonneurs disent ne pas vouloir "supprimer la publicité" mais "la remettre à sa place". Ils réclament que les panneaux publicitaires soient limités à 50 x 70 cm, comme l'affichage associatif.

Six members of the anti-advertisement group The Deboulonneurs (The unscrewers) spend 20 hours under the guards having smeared 3 billbounds in the 9th District (the expensive bit, with the parliament in it) in Paris, we learnt on Sunday from a police source.

In 34 cases, it's the first time the defacers have not been released the police after 4 hours of detention, said the group, which organises monthly actions of civil disorder to denounce the prevalence of advertising.

On saturday afternoon, the 6 inscribed anti-advertiser slogans on 3 JC Deceaux Avenir signs, situated as boulevard Rochechouart, in the 8th districk. The were not released until Sunday lunchtime, after 20 hours in custody.

The police source continued, saying a preliminary equiry for degradation has been opened by the instruction of the prosecuter.

The Deboulenneurs said the don't so much delete the publicity as put it in it's place. The space they reclaim on signs is limited to 50x70 cm, the same size as an associative attachement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AMontague

LostExpectation asks about the possible loss of bike racks in the city centre to the scheme. There are going to be 40 stations in the city centre. In most cases there will be no loss of parking, but in some cases there will be a loss. For example, the Council intend to put a station on Prince's Street (beside the GPO). This will probably result in the removal of some of the bike stands on Prince's Street.

However, the council intend to put in 200 additional bike racks this year. At the moment there are about 1,000 around the city - so the 200 new racks should make a difference. The Council also intends to put up a new website for cyclists to allow cyclists to propose the locations for these racks using something like Google Maps.

Not all the new racks will be in the City Centre. I'm very keen that it is easy for people to cycle to their local shops and be able to lock their bikes securely, so I want to make sure that some of the new racks are out in the suburbs.

Cllr Andrew Montague
    Chair of Dublin City Council's Cycling Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

@ AMontague- slight side topic but perhaps you can help.

The redevelopment of the area in front of the Store St. Garda station removed the best bike parking in dublin...Beside the luas, buses and connolly train station, and fairly secure because it was in front of the garda station. Any chance of getting that reinstated?

EDIT: Garda station beside busaras

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Harpz wrote: »
    @ AMontague- slight side topic but perhaps you can help.

The redevelopment of the area in front of the Garda station removed the best bike parking in dublin...Beside the luas, buses and connolly train station, and fairly secure because it was in front of the garda station. Any chance of getting that reinstated?

There are a few Garda stations in Dublin..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Reference to Connolly Station suggests Store St.

I've passed the request for parking at Store Street station to the Cycling engineers.

Andrew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

AMontague wrote: »
    I've passed the request for parking at Store Street station to the Cycling engineers.

Andrew

Off topic It's great to see a politician interacting with people here on boards. Hopefully you don't get scared away with the robust debate. Although I'm sure you're well used to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bfc

I think I'd like to be a cycling engineer...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Our friends next door are getting in on the act:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/cycling/cycle-hire-scheme/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gavin wrote: »
    Off topic It's great to see a politician interacting with people here on boards. Hopefully you don't get scared away with the robust debate. Although I'm sure you're well used to that.

Agreed,
    Although I'm not in Dublin its great to see somebody interacting with people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Gavin wrote: »

By the way, Cllr Montague was the individual who supplied me with the info about the secure parking locations in Dublin that is now on the wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

For example, the Council intend to put a station on Prince's Street (beside the GPO). This will probably result in the removal of some of the bike stands on Prince's Street. However, the council intend to put in 200 additional bike racks this year. At the moment there are about 1,000 around the city - so the 200 new racks should make a difference.

I agree there should definitely be rental racks on O'Connell St but Princes st is one of the busiest and safest places to keep a bike in the city centre. I'd be very unhappy with the removal of racks from an already busy spot. What about in the taxi rank on O'Connell bridge northbound, in front of the concert hall on Parnell Sq or in the middle of the street which is terribly underused.

markpb wrote: »
    I agree there should definitely be rental racks on O'Connell St but Princes st is one of the busiest and safest places to keep a bike in the city centre. I'd be very unhappy with the removal of racks from an already busy spot. What about in the taxi rank on O'Connell bridge northbound, in front of the concert hall on Parnell Sq or in the middle of the street which is terribly underused.

I'll feed that back to the Council staff.

Andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 morefrench

I have about 10 oldish bikes done up in the back yard . I would like to allow people to have them for a nominal couple of euro or something per day more out of frustration that this scheme is taking so long to get of the road rather than any profit motivation. Can I leave my phone number here 0830034233? Please let me know if not and I will remove. I'm located in the center.
    http://dublin007.100webspace.net/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I hear we won't be getting them until September but the infrastructure is mostly in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I'll feed that back to the Council staff.

Andrew

Belated congratulations on your re-election Andrew. Looking forward to seeing the scheme up and running.

Best, unionman (your friend from the Older & Bolder campaign;))

• Advertisement
Advertisement