Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old/ classic adverts

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Ah man, you're a legend! Been trying to find that ad for ages. I tried Googling "Iron Maiden Lucozade Daley Thompson ad" and "Phantom Of The Opera Lucozade ad" and various combinations of both a while back to see if I could find it but no joy. Thanks for posting that, Rockee.

That was probably the ad that got me into the music of Iron Maiden! Daley Thompson and Lucozade have a lot to answer for! :D

My pleasure Aidan! :D Im a Maiden fan myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

shake n vac ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sophisticated6y

Will some kind person PLEASE unearth the dairy gold ads?!
    I've been trying to explain it to several friends who claim they just don't remember it at all!!!
    No amount of me shouting who's takin the horse to france will help. I feel it is my civic duty to remind them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Antenna

There were also ones about the dangers of electricity, farmers and overhead power lines was one, and another where a child climbs up an a pylon to recover a Frisbee (again dating the ad) frying himself in the process.

found this one:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7u-FUocmkfw

there was also one of a man, who with no plug at the end of a lead, powered an electric drill by using matchsticks to push in each of three wires into the socket (three wires, earth connection needed as drill not double insulated as nowadays required by law) anyway while the drill is in use the earth one gets pulled out, drops down and comes into contact with live....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sophisticated6y

One of my absolute favourites was:

G-G-G-GALWAY!
    I loved that ad so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Here's an old school classic that sticks out in my mind ...

Toblerone, out on it's own... the triangular chocolate; triangular honey from triangular bees, triangular almonds from triangular trees...

Anyone remember this catchy ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

(Liverpool accents)'My dad says if I don't drink enough milk, when I grow up, I won't be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley'.
    'Accrington Stanley? Who are they?'
    'Exactly'.:D
    What about that couple prancing around pulling out all the plugs in their fancy dressing gowns-'Your life could depend on your bedtime routiiiine!':o
    What about that lazy smug lady lying on the sofa eating a bar of Fry's Chocolate Cream'? (mmmm!)The cat knocks an ornament off the shelf and she catches it without scarcely having to move at all and she's just delighted with herself.:)

dSTAR wrote: »
    Here's an old school classic that sticks out in my mind ...

Toblerone, out on it's own... the triangular chocolate; triangular honey from triangular bees, triangular almonds from triangular trees...

Anyone remember this catchy ad?
    I do surely remember it, deadly wee song.:)
    That one for Helmann's I used to be singing to myself too...'you can amayonaise a salad, amayonaise a sandwich, amayonaise your friends and family too...you can amayonaise a world with Helmanns, amazing what new Helmanns can do for you, amazing what new Helmanns can do'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thelurch

jaggeh wrote: »
    that was a coke ad.

best ad's ever were the old ertl ads
    jibba-jabba FROM ERTLE!

I beg to differ, That was for Kelloggs, Then she said ho ho ho.Cute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

i remenber when the announcer that did the cheapy ads after the well put ones got it all mixed up usually they were for department store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pattimlin

was the kid in the Kerrygold "horse to france" ad played by Robert Sheehan, the Irish actor from "Misfits" on Channel 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Ruu wrote: »
    :eek: Compilation of ads from 1982. Tasty, tasty, very very tasty. Their very TASTY! :)

Ross Kemp. Must be eating Bran Flakes that made him so hard!

Public Health.
    1 “Noel Carroll can run 800 meters in …” some time or other. A lot faster than you, anyway. Also, someone else can swim faster than you and so on. You are fat. See, you are not fit enough to run up those steps. Or catch that bus.

2 There was also a great one along the lines of the traffic box. Two cars coming fron opposite directions and each wants to turn right across the oncoming lane of traffic. So instead of having to wait for eachother, they do this kinky manouevre of sidling up close to eachother and turning about 45 degrees in such as they both can see oncoming traffic. And they both get a break in traffic at the same time, and manouevre off beautifully. It’s like ballet.

I think of it literally every time I’m turning right, and in twenty years I’ve never seen anyone do it

3 I can remember a cartoon where the family put the dog out only for him to join a feral pack of sheep killing mutts, only to come home later and snuggle up by the fire.
    The animated ad imploring us to keep our dogs locked in at night? A seemingly harmless family dog turns into a bloodthirsty killer after dark. Joins a roving gang of similarly un-tethered dogs for a sheep-killing rampage. I can still picture the field full of sheep lying with their throats torn out. I think it left quite an impression on anyone who was young at the time!

1 This was the oul one with the scarf and the shopping bags puffing and panting as she wheezed her way to the bus stop. Just as she nearly reaches it the bastard pulls away. No changes there so.
    The message was obviously if you're fat the bus driver will make you look like a right c**t by pulling away just as you get to the stop. This would never have happened if you hadn't been so fat.

2 I've never seen anyone do it either. Looks good though.

3 Am right in thinking that at the end the dog turns to the camera and his two eyes are glowing red, like a devil dog? Or is that something else.

I remember all these Public Information ads. It's funny, some of the ads that some of you consider old to me aren't old at all. Hmmm, maybe I'm the old one, lol :(:D

I posted this ad on a thread somewhere, don't think it was here. This ad was dated 1972 but it must've ran for a few years 'cos I remember it well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9FGJKZrNVE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

snorlax wrote: »
    does anyone remember the old milkway ad with the two cars (one red one blue?)...that add really stickys out in my mind for some reason! :D

milky_way.jpg

yes indeed. the red car and the blue car had a race. From 1989 but was re-released with slightly different lyrics in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

anyone remember the bisto ads?

Is Trevor ever getting up? never in a month of Sundays? will dada ever get the garden cut? never in a month of Sundays? but theres one thing they wont miss out on in a matter of a month of Sundays. bisto brown seasons with a stir, it really is the one they prefer, you'll never never put the R in gravy without Bisto.

yes. I think that was from around 1984. There were other ones too in a similar vain.

Advertisement