Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Series of WDYTYA - Thurs 7th Aug, BBC1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I enjoyed the Brendan O'Carroll episode. It's good that the mystery of who shot his grandfather was solved and it was also an interesting history lesson for the BBC's British audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hmmmm. Entertaining, but not a great episode IMO. Probably the first time many watchers in the UK would have learned about the Black & Tans, and for those in Ireland it explained the difference between the Auxies & the Tans. It was a history program, with a bit of tourism thrown in; it was not genealogy. It would have been nice to have heard that the BMH records are available free online. Also going to the NLI to look at the microfilm of the Indo was a farce, (but good PR). Why not try an online archive? And as for the speed BO’C went through the reader, no hope of finding anything ……. The clunk of that #@&%$ machine was authentic, it still has the effect of making me shudder at the mindnumbing task of combing scanned docs in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

thought that was good... not a Mrs. Brown or Brendan O'C fan so wasn't expecting to warm to him at all

Probably more of a history lesson on the War of Independence etc for the UK audience, but the detail about only (mainly?) Auxiliaries operating Dublin city rather than Black & Tans was new to me

The Indo is on IrishNewsArchives, so there might have been an opportunity for a shortcut to his search there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭jos28

Good episode, not what I expected. Very good use of military archives and historians. God I'd love a team of those guys to research my crowd. Have to agree that it was a bit of a lesson in Irish history which together with the Julie Walters episode would make you wonder who is on the production team. Must look that one up.

A good show and not a mention of his Titanic story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Good history lesson. A lot of detective work. Woeful genealogy. I can't say I enjoyed the programme. My family lived a stone's throw away from the Exchequer Hotel. My mother would have been around nine or ten years old. She told me about the B & T's so I always assumed they had been in Dublin. They surely must have been at some stage, they would hardly have arrived in a country without being in the capital city. Can anyone confirm the claim that the B & T's were not in Dublin?

However, I did feel for Brendan when he saw that photo, you could see it hit home. I can't remember if they said why his grandfather had been singled out. I don't have the BBC playback thingy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

He was singled out because his two sons were IRA volunteers. He was told that if they did not surrender by a certain date he would be shot

• Registered Users Posts: 18 familyseeker

Liam O'Carroll (Brendan's uncle) has statements on the Military Archive website, including some of the details of events surrounding his father's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

That article is a bit all over the shop in places (not a criticism of you Jellybaby for posting it)

"Maureen a secondary school teacher and the first Irish Member of Parliament" / "became Ireland's first female MP"...she was neither. Wiki says first female Labour Party TD.

"Major Hardy shot him dead and wounded 10 year old Gerard, Brendan's father" / "Brendan's father, Gerard, who was left for dead after the attack, was discovered by neighbour Michael McHugh and taken for medical assistance. Also a 'freedom fighter' for the Irish cause, Gerard became close to Michael and his wife Lizzie"....a freedom fighter as a 10 year old?
    Also, if he was shot, I'm surprised that was not mentioned in the show.

Lastly, their online tree has Peter O'Carrol's year of death as 1970!!

Shoddy, shoddy workmanship, Ted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I don't have the BBC playback thingy.
    It's on youtube.

• Advertisement

That article is a bit all over the shop in places (not a criticism of you Jellybaby for posting it)

Apologies for posting that! Its good to have it clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭cobham

There is a Wiki posting on the killer Hardy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jocelyn_Lee_Hardy

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

I only got around to watching the Brendan O'Carroll episode yesterday, and found it very interesting. Nice use of military records/newspapers as other posters have already mentioned.

Being born and bred in Stoneybatter, was also good to learn the little bit of local history learned.

Gave up after 30 minutes - total waste of time, social history of the banjo, and a bad one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

I struggled with this episode too and switched it off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Pootled on the internet during it - she's a lovely genuine person, and at least we got farther than a grandparent, with some use of trade directories, newspapers, etc.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

First half was woeful, bored to tears with the banjo waffle. Second half was better, but by no means a great episode.

well I watched it.. as a former "professional" any musical connection keeps my interest, and Sheridan was very into the story with it's ups and downs. They already had tears from her at the first set of research.

Took on a big challenge with the banjo, I was hoping she'd try to play something for her dad, and although very basic thought she nearly had tears from him.

shanew wrote: »
    well I watched it.. as a former "professional" any musical connection keeps my interest, and Sheridan was very into the story with it's ups and downs. They already had tears from her at the first set of research.

Took on a big challenge with the banjo, I was hoping she'd try to play something for her dad, and although very basic thought she nearly had tears from him.

Not a professional Shane. but I once did a fascinating bit of geno work that involved some of the musical entertainments of the era. After the first half and they had not mentioned Jim Crow ............ hence my comment above

I was a bass player so not familiar with Jim Crow (until just now), or history of the instrument, except to know that very few people can play banjo properly.

My closest encounter with a real live banjo was a short stint in a band where we did 'Duelling banjos' with this guy... high class stuff!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

'Duelling banjos'... high class stuff!.

Couldn't resist! :D

My favorite banjo story is from years ago, (probably v. early 1970's in O'Donoghues) - bit of a jam session, Barney McKenna was playing, and this gobsh started accompanying him on the spoons. Barney put up with it but at the start of the next set when 'yer man' looked as if he would join in again Barney says 'Would somebody give that Effer a cup of coffee!' ............sorry for the drift...........

mod9maple wrote: »

Couldn't resist! :D
    My banjo story ties in with my family tree. I researched my tree while my husband's brother did their side. Now, we both knew we were researching in the same county (Kerry) but little did we know that our families are VERY closely connected. I daren't connect my tree with his on Ancestry for fear that our branches overlap :D
    My sons got a great laugh out of the idea that their parents could be very distantly related. They recently went to stay in a house in the part of Kerry we traced both sides to. I rang to see how they were getting on and eldest son told me there was something wrong with his brother. Mam, he's sitting out the front playing the banjo and he won't come in !
    Sounds better told in person over a pint.

Another woeful episode, and I fell asleep a few times. Any more of this and I too will be switching off.

leaving duelling banjos aside for minute, hopefully forever... I love the idea of the gentile Victorian ladies and gentlemen sitting around in a posh living room to listen to a virtuoso banjo performance. Banjo was not a cool instrument in my world growing up, and always associated with not very good 'trad' players

I did a Women's History module in college that focused on Victorian domesticity. I never once read anything about banjos in the drawing room :D
    I thought it was all demure ladies playing recitals on the piano.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

but the detail about only (mainly?) Auxiliaries operating Dublin city rather than Black & Tans was new to me

Thinking about this today (rather randomly), the Tans were attached to the RIC who never operated in Dublin so they wouldn't have been there as a result. The Auxilliaries were to the DMP.

I thought that the RIC did serve in Dublin but it was the outskirts of Dublin not in the centre of the city, around the boundaries with other counties. Maybe I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I thought that the RIC did serve in Dublin but it was the outskirts of Dublin not in the centre of the city, around the boundaries with other counties. Maybe I'm wrong though.

The Dublin Metropolitan Police [DMP] served in Dublin city only; the RIC served in the County and beyond.

There is an RIC page on Facebook, from which I have copied the following interesting explanation of why Dubliners talk about the police station, and people outside Dublin city talk about the police barracks:

"the RIC were a paramilitary force, and having a quasi military role, lived and worked in barracks. The DMP as an entirely civil police force, worked, and lived, in "stations." All over the State today, people still go to the "barracks" to transact their business. In Dublin, however they go to the station, or, police station."

• Advertisement

Thanks for these - hadn't registered about the Auxiliary / B&T relationship to the DMP / RIC area.

The DMP area covered a bit more than just the city, they also covered parts of South East County Dublin out as far as Blackrock and Dún Laoghaire. See Stations in F Division at this link

Advertisement