Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Various spellings on irishgenealogy.ie

• 28-08-2014 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Our family name can be spelled different ways and I decided to find out how many variants there are on irishgenealogy, and having entered 11 different variants I found there were four which gave results. Does anyone know if the spelling with the higher number of results would include the other three variants as well?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're getting different results numbers, they're not doing any matching/soundex on that surname otherwise you'd get the same number for every version. I've had trouble with that with three legitimate spellings and one frequent transcription error appearing across irishgenealogy, the GRO and the census but on a name obscure enough they'd never list alternates for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My four results were 466, 450, 451 and 449 and included in each are a couple of 'date unclear' records.

Advertisement