Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should an English pub be opened in Dublin?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't really see what difference there is. Take the trad band in the corner out and an Irish pub is just a pub. Replace the auld GAA photos/posters with ye olde soccer photos/posters and there's little in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

It is a little blurred in many cases, but then again the whole thing of Irish and English are subjective in the first place

• Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

We have Irish pubs in the UK do we want them banned?
    If we can have Irish pubs everywhere then we should also have british pubs here.
    But the thing is no 1 will drink init and it will close down.Maybe Temple Bar is the only place 1 may survive?

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Of course they should.

Particularly if they charge UK prices. Wetherspoons pubs over there are superb, and I love them.
    The problem with Wetherspoons is that because the drink is so cheap they attract all the hoods and undesirables in in the evenings.

Grand to go in for a bit of food at lunchtime for a pint or two, not so nice to visit on a night out.
    Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Most 'Irish' pubs are indistinguishable from their English counterparts these days, fewer flashing poker machines appears to be the only difference.

My ideal pub:
    • No TV - if I want to watch a game I'll find a sports bar somewhere
    • Good choice of beers, cask ales, ciders, etc Foreign and home-brewed with a few microbreweries in the mix.
    • Decent spirit and liqueur selection.
    • Pub food, nothing fancy - steak and chips is fine and later crisps and nuts
    • Ambient or no music during the day.
    • Live band at night, but not so loud I can't have a conversation with the person beside me.
    Provide me with all this and I don't care what flag the landlord chooses to wave outside, I'll drink there.
    You forgot plenty of seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

We have Irish pubs in the UK do we want them banned?
    If we can have Irish pubs everywhere then we should also have british pubs here.
    But the thing is no 1 will drink init and it will close down.Maybe Temple Bar is the only place 1 may survive?

In fairness there are Irish pubs in every corner of the world and English pubs in none. This could be down to the perceived popularity of our respective cultures in these far off lands, but that's a topic for another day I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

The best English pubs are usually way out in the countryside in a small village or town - at least the most authentic ones are:) Believe it or not there are still real gems of Irish pubs hidden away from the tourist traps and Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

cournioni wrote: »
    English pubs are pretty **** IMO.

:rolleyes: You haven't lived matey. Of course there are s*** English pubs, but there are so many Great ones too! Real Ale on tap in an English pub by the sea on a hot summers day, oh missus what a joy it is (not here obviously). http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=23&xhr=t&q=english+ales&biw=1280&bih=637&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=FGGiT7y9Dcu4hAfkicWACQ

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭chosen1

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    There are some pubs that I love in Dublin. But here in merry England I have to say the range of old and new pubs, cheap pubs, fancy gastro ones etc is just amazing. Also the range of beers on tap is fantastic. The opening hours are much better too. Altogether a much better drinking experience, we should take on board some of their practices in Ireland for sure.
    This I found the worst aspect of English pubs. Any I've been to have stopped serving at 11 exactly and 20 minutes drinking up time. This is London and a few other places unless it's different elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

In answer to the OP, I wouldn't really care either way. I probably wouldn't frequent it myself, but I wouldn't take offense or anything either, then again I can't speak for everyone.
    Davidth88 wrote: »
    On reflection , the answer to the OP is no , however I think it would have done the market some good to break the cartel the LVA has , so perhaps a couple of Wetherspoons charging 2.50 a pint , or a pint and a meal for a fiver would shake them a bit I think.

As to this, I'm not claiming to know much about the current state of prices, but I've always been told by landlords I know that they actually make very little profit off a pint as it is, is there any truth to this or is it just something they say as an excuse to keep prices up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

English pubs are a bit tatty frankly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I don't really see what difference there is. Take the trad band in the corner out and an Irish pub is just a pub. Replace the auld GAA photos/posters with ye olde soccer photos/posters and there's little in the difference.

WEll, as someone mentioned, all Englishpubs tend to have game machines.

There are great English country pubs, truth be told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

chosen1 wrote: »
    This I found the worst aspect of English pubs. Any I've been to have stopped serving at 11 exactly and 20 minutes drinking up time. This is London and a few other places unless it's different elsewhere?

Pubs can open up pretty much 24 hours if they want, but most choose not to as all you'd end up with midweek is a couple of people at most sat at the bar, costing you money to keep the place open. if there's a good crowd in and the actual landlord is working, he'll usually keep the place open for as late as is profitable.

Strolled out of my old local at 5.25am on a friday morning last time i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tell what I would love to see, if only for comedy value, an Irish pub that tried to implement the English '15 minutes drinking up time' rule. It'd be absolute carnage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

2ndcoming wrote: »

In fairness there are Irish pubs in every corner of the world and English pubs in none..

The States is full of English pubs, as are all those 'Ballymun in the sun' type places in the Mediterranean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

TIME AT THE BAR
    :mad:

The no drinking up time drives me mad over there.
    We'll serve you a pint at 10.59 but want to take it off you 60 seconds later.

That would go down well over here! NOT!!!

ps don't know if this has been changed in the last few years over there.
    Apologies if it has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

TIME AT THE BAR

Apologies if it has

if you drink in the big city bars etc....that is probably the case......but the others...well, they vary .....like twelve or one oclock....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

TIME AT THE BAR

Apologies if it has

For over 50 years the law has been that a pub has to give 20 minutes drinking up time after the bar has been closed, and that they also have to ring the bell for last orders ten minutes before the bar closes.

No idea were you must have been drinking!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Real Ole' english ale from the wood .There is no beer in Ireland .I used to love the old Farmhouse styled pubs in surrey and i did frequent The White Lion in warlingham where today they sell real ale .They used to have an open hearth fire there and me and the girlfriend used to giggle together .1960s before tackiness decended on nearly everything .Quality pubs never had posters or juke boxes then .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Most 'Irish' pubs are indistinguishable from their English counterparts these days, fewer flashing poker machines appears to be the only difference.

My ideal pub:
    • No TV - if I want to watch a game I'll find a sports bar somewhere
    • Good choice of beers, cask ales, ciders, etc Foreign and home-brewed with a few microbreweries in the mix.
    • Decent spirit and liqueur selection.
    • Pub food, nothing fancy - steak and chips is fine and later crisps and nuts
    • Ambient or no music during the day.
    • Live band at night, but not so loud I can't have a conversation with the person beside me.
    Provide me with all this and I don't care what flag the landlord chooses to wave outside, I'll drink there.

+1 on everthing you stated except the flag bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Will there be barmaids?

• Advertisement

It's not like an English bar that opens over here will be able to follow English laws. The opening hours, drinking up time, availability of poker machines etc. will still follow Irish rules

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I dont think it will do much business.

A Wetherspoons would clean up in Dublin.

There'd be pros and cons to this. You go into any town in England and they all have exactly the same pubs, all offering exactly the same food menus and with the same decor as their corresponding pub in another town.

When I first moved to Dublin, the variety of pubs was one of the charms of the City which I liked. So many pubs with so many different styles and themes and decors. But after a while it becomes clear that the differences are just superficial and that actually most pubs here are almost identical to eachother. They all serve the same drink at the same price. The variety is non-existant. Fortunately I quite like Heineken and Guinness so I'm ok, otherwise I'd be stuck in the Porterhouse all the time.

An English pub serving a variety of ales and some mainstream lagers which are different to the standard lot over here would do alright. If it was owned by one of the UK chains then it would do very well because its prices would blow everyone else out of the water.

No TV - if I want to watch a game I'll find a sports bar somewhere
    Good choice of beers, cask ales, ciders, etc Foreign and home-brewed with a few microbreweries in the mix.
    Decent spirit and liqueur selection.
    Pub food, nothing fancy - steak and chips is fine and later crisps and nuts
    Ambient or no music during the day.
    Live band at night, but not so loud I can't have a conversation with the person beside me.

All good, except I would remove the need for any non-live music in any pub ever. We come to talk, not to listen to a crap sound system where the bass amp is just above my head, so I cant hear whatever x-factor winning siht it actually is.

I'm not a lager drinker so I never gave it my full attention but while English pubs have a wide range of ales from the brewery they are attached to, is it the same with lagers? All I remember when I lived over there was carling and tennents on draught in most pubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

We already have thousands of them all around the country. The so called Irish Pub is in fact an English pub, that as soon as we parted from Westminster and the King, we decided to call 'Irish Pubs'. But we did a better world marketing job with the idea than the English. Similar to what the Scots did with our Whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    There are some pubs that I love in Dublin. But here in merry England I have to say the range of old and new pubs, cheap pubs, fancy gastro ones etc is just amazing. Also the range of beers on tap is fantastic. The opening hours are much better too. Altogether a much better drinking experience, we should take on board some of their practices in Ireland for sure.

I agree with this. I've never felt that pubs in London have ever lacked character or unique identity and as a student here for the past few years I've had enough experience!

Of course, you will see a lot of Wetherspoon's around the capital but they are easily bypassed and not missed and usually only used as the RV point at the beginning of a pub crawl :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm not a lager drinker so I never gave it my full attention but while English pubs have a wide range of ales from the brewery they are attached to, is it the same with lagers? All I remember when I lived over there was carling and tennents on draught in most pubs

Each pub will have the lagers from the brewery they belong to/are owned by. But there's a number of different breweries and distribution companies so the pub next door is unlikely to have the same drinks available on tap.

Sandwlch wrote: »
    We already have thousands of them all around the country. The so called Irish Pub is in fact an English pub, that as soon as we parted from Westminster and the King, we decided to call 'Irish Pubs'. But we did a better world marketing job with the idea than the English. Similar to what the Scots did with our Whiskey.

Not really, there are lots of differences. English pubs are never named after family names for instance, indicating that the Irish pubs which are - most - are long time family businesses. Ireland tends to have more owner occupiers, and pubs as peoples primary residence, in England you rent from the brewery.

In that sense Ireland is better, unfortunately we have independent pubs but few independent, or not very large chain, brewers.

Beefy78 wrote: »

Each pub will have the lagers from the brewery they belong to/are owned by. But there's a number of different breweries and distribution companies so the pub next door is unlikely to have the same drinks available on tap.

I was aware of that. Just never noticed it with lagers, only ales

• Advertisement

Both countries probably have the best pubs on the planet, obviously for this reason they are copied worldwide ( the American bar, or sports bar - which we also have - is a different beast entirely, I am not sure what is going on in German bars, with some exceptions, like on the Rhone, it aint fun).

Ireland is better in cities in towns, because it has fewer chains, the UK has great country and village pubs.

Not talking about the beer, the atmosphere.

Advertisement