Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of Kennel Cough Vac?

Options
  • 10-02-2009 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone gotten the kennel cough vac recently & if so, what did you pay?

I've just been quoted €40 which I thought seemed expensive. Is it possible to buy & administer it myself as I understand there are no neddles involved?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Last time I got it for my dog it was 12 euros.That was in August 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

€12 v's €40 !! Thats some difference....now you're going to tell me you're based in Sligo!!

I'm in Dublin - anyone any better prices than €40

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Little A wrote: »
    €12 v's €40 !! Thats some difference....now you're going to tell me you're based in Sligo!!

I'm in Dublin - anyone any better prices than €40

Nope Im in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

€35.00 for my dogs boosters that was the parvo etc plus KC altogether in Tipperary. €40.00 for KC is crazy even with a health check (which they have to do before giving a vaccine or at least should do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

If you're near Inchicore go to the Blue Cross there. I never used to use it thinking they would be useless seeing as it's a free clinic (suggested donations) but had a bit of an emergency after Denzil was attacked while out walking and the girl in there was fantastic. Have been using her ever since

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

You cant buy it yourself and give it to the dog as the kennel will require your vaccine card which you cant sign unless you are a vet. I had both of mine done in December 2008 and it was €55.00 each.. if you can stretch to the €40.00 I'd go with that. I rang around a couple of vets in Dublin and most of them were in and around the €50 mark.

Blue Cross is a charity unless you genuinely need help in terms of cost I wouldn't use them. If you can afford not to, its hardly right to use up their resources. The booster is always cheaper than the original vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 doolin101

dolly13 wrote: »
    You cant buy it yourself and give it to the dog as the kennel will require your vaccine card which you cant sign unless you are a vet. I had both of mine done in December 2008 and it was €55.00 each.. if you can stretch to the €40.00 I'd go with that. I rang around a couple of vets in Dublin and most of them were in and around the €50 mark.

Blue Cross is a charity unless you genuinely need help in terms of cost I wouldn't use them. If you can afford not to, its hardly right to use up their resources. The booster is always cheaper than the original vaccine.
    €40 is a fair price- it is tricky to give- needs to be sprayed up the nose and if it is not given correctly it wont work. KC is a nasty cough, like whopping cough in kids, can take up to 8 weeks to clear and can cause worse lung infections. I have also heard it is becoming more common and is not just in dogs in Kennels but can spead dog -to dog when out for walks etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Well she's done....took all of 30 secs to administer!

I can't get over what it costs.....I'm not out to bash vets, it's just she is costing me more than all of my kids. I hadn;t had a dog for decades & back then, the dogs won't be brought to the vets as readially as we do now. So far, since August, I have spent in excess of €600....+ pet insurance. Some of those will be a once off (getting her neautured) but it's been a real eye opener for me.

At least if I bring the kids to the doctor, I can claim the tax relief!!

Advertisement