Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

do you put the main lights on at home when its Dark?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Do they work in the way they are supposed to ie - do they relieve seasonal/winter depression?

They should make ones that run off batteries, thought I have seen portable ones before that run off batteries, pretty sure

I have a Litepod one like this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SAD-Light-Litepod-10-000-lux-Seasonal-Affective-Disorder-Lightbox-Therapy-Lamp-/170420538339?hash=item27addb0be3:g:P~AAAOSw2XFUc2oS

It's the bees knees.

I also have a small one I got as a present from France, I think it takes batteries as well as mains, but I'm not sure it's the real thing. Should put it somewhere to use it really !

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

so 10,000 lux =925 lumens = a 16wcfl @ around 6300k colour temperature wouldnt that work the same

What? :confused: 10,000 lux = 10,000 lumens per square metre. How could you equate illuminance to luminous flux? It's a bit like saying there are 9.25 kilometres in 100 kilometres per hour.

For comparison, most living spaces average between 50-100 lux.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You know watt, you may laugh now but when the whole esb goes down and everybody's powerless and so have to light candles, then you'll see... Plus think of the savings I'll make, worth every scent!

Brilliant puns, sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Peregrine wrote: »
    What? :confused: 10,000 lux = 10,000 lumens per metre squared. How could you equate illuminance to luminous flux? It's a bit like saying there are 9.25 kilometres in a kilometre per hour.

For comparison, most living spaces are lit at around 50-100 lux.

oh is it, all I did was just googled "what is 10,000 lux in Lumens and thats what came up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well, whats in one of these expensive SAD Light boxes you get from Chemist to help deal with depression in the winter? - its just a Light! - it is clinically proved they work

I know you read the first of my posts as you thanked it but you seem to have an inability to understand. I'm not repeating myself so read the bit about the type of light and spectrum again. That's a good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

so 10,000 lux =925 lumens = a 16wcfl @ around 6300k colour temperature wouldnt that work the same

NO!!

:rolleyes:

I know you read the first of my posts as you thanked it but you seem to have an inability to understand. I'm not repeating myself so read the bit about the type of light and spectrum again. That's a good lad.

Let me just rephrase it then " its just a light in a box albeit a special colour temperature and brightness" - that better for you?

you could easily make one for fraction of price if you get the right parts or you could change your bulbs in the house to daylight bulbs, whilst maybe not exactly the same effect as a light box but it will still make you feel better when your awake - failing that just having ordinary lights on when its dark inside when your awake will keep you feeling more awake than just sitting there in the dark! - no wonder so many peoples time clocks are out and they suffer from Insomnia or feeling down in the winter, its enough to make anyone feel under the weather sitting in a dark or dim room on these dark dismal gloomy winter days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

When I enter my humble, dark, abode after a hard days work, I clap my hand twice and the lights come on...

(The wife is trained to switch on the lights once she hears me clap...)

whiskeyman wrote: »
    (The wife is trained to switch on the lights once she hears me clap...)

haha well trained mrs! :D

i even put me lights on in the daytime if its dark and gloomy weather outside - might cost a bit more in leccy, and most probably not good for the environment but it makes me feel better - all my lights have on are cfls or LED or normal flurouscent no, incandescent lamps. And i dont switch them on and off (heard it greatly shortens life of fluorescent tubes keep switching them on and off) so i leave em on, room always lit when you walking round house no fumbling for light switch in dark, aint no-one got time to keep switching on and off lights it the house all the time - I dare say when i get a little bit older I will start saying that thing that all OAP's say "turn that light off your wasting electricity" or when you go into into a room turn "light on and turn it off when you leave the room!"

- I am personally more concerned about other huge electricity monsters in my house such as electric showers, electric ovens, and other high powered stuff thats being used rather than a few old low power/wattage lights left on in a room - even if there isnt anyone in the room at the time.

• Advertisement

I couldn't get comfortable in a bright room, its like the difference between sitting on a dining room chair and lying on a couch. Even in the day time I often close blinds and curtains when relaxing in front of the tv but its worse with bright artificial light, either no light on or a dim lamp in the corner just to give a little light and it changes the mood of the room totally for me.

Advertisement