Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Notching attic floor joists

• 23-02-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some opinions from experienced folk.

Getting attic floored, just for storage. Some pipes and wires run over joists, so option is either to raise floor and avoid them, or cut into joists where necessary and bury them (not doing it myself, I intend to have someone do it who knows what they're doing!)

Raising the floor adds to expense so I'm trying to see if there's any way notching joists is acceptable? Each person I've had quote me says a different thing. The joists are close (11 inches) and the partition walls below are solid, so one guy says there's no issue structurally, he's doing it 10 years etc.

Presumably the area of the joist being notched matters (further away from centre the better etc), and only cutting minimal depth needed etc

My question is... is it ever possible to notch joists safely, in theory, or am I gambling with my house structure?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

What size are they ???? or is a truss roof

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Cross batten the joists, wont add too much to the job, notching joists is a disaster on idea that should be left back in 1970.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

Flood wrote: »
    Cross batten the joists, wont add too much to the job, notching joists is a disaster on idea that should be left back in 1970.

Hah, that's kinda what I needed to hear, thank you! I just couldn't work out if I was being too careful or not careful enough, due to different guys swearing blind on different things. Have since spoken to someone else I trust so definitely going to spend the extra and raise it. Good stuff, thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭jack of all

As already suggested crossbattening is the best solution- it won't have any structural impact,it allows easier access to wiring/ piping in the future and it is reversible. Notching joists is best avoided and even when it is done it should only be done near the bearing points. The additional batten depth allows a little bit of extra insulation depth, if possible you should run some insulation over the existing joists (to reduce thermal bridging through these substantial timbers).

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

Thanks a mil for the advice, really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Agreed, cross batten. It won't add much in cost and is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Agree with X battens,
    I use 2 by 2 rough, and build it up to suit
    just remember that the elec cables need to be kept clear of any insulation, especially the power ones

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Take care to avoid pinching and/or nailing cables.

It is easy to catch one without noticing.

Avoid heavy hammering to reduce risk of damaging plaster on ceiling below. Id drill and screw with screw gun if doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Remind Me Tomorrow

Recently floored my attic. I used insulated loft boards and notched the insulation, rather than the joists.

Advertisement