Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on errecting a Shiplap Apex Metal Shed.

• 06-03-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello boards.ie,
    I am just wondering if anyone can advise me on this subject. Last year we put up a small shiplap metal shed, and it was a lot of work to be honest, but we did the best we could and it turned out to be very OK.
    This year we have bought another much larger one 10 X 13 to be exact. And I just want to install it that little bit better as it will be permanent.
    Last year we put down a concrete base, but after a while noticed water seeping in, and bugs etc...
    So somebody suggested to us that we put concrete around the bottom of the shed (Like build a wooden fame and fill it with concrete let dry and remove wooden frame, so your left with a concrete skirt so to speak), to seal it from the outside world?, or put the shed lift the shed up and put it back down on lots of silicone (Sounds like a not so great idea).
    I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.
    Also one big weakness of these metal sheds is that they are so fragile from the inside out! Like when you drop a shovel or rake you dent it because the metal is so thin, also it is impossible to put up shelving or anything, so we were going to put up a light wooden frame and ply-line the inside, but we are unsure what to put inbetween the ply-line and metal of the shed to stop the condensation, best suggestion we had so far was thin sheets of aero-board. Anyone have any advise or thinks they can build on what I have just said, the help is most welcome.

Thanks everyone!

Ripplecon95-7055553MMA74UC722164X.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Why not simply construct freestanding shelving units?

Sealing base is straightforward but perhaps you'd be better to manage run-off, install guttering/downpipe and gulley.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ripplecon

Why not simply construct freestanding shelving units?

Sealing base is straightforward but perhaps you'd be better to manage run-off, install guttering/downpipe and gulley.

Hi,
    I thank you for your reply!
    I saw one today actually with guttering, and I may do this also. It even looks good. This will not fully stop the problem tho, because I can see with my current shed that it is seepage from the concentrate base and there is room enough for bugs and stuff to get in, so it has to be sealed some way.

As for free standing shelving, this is out of the question in this case, because these sheds are so easy to damage from the inside out, ply-lining it is more for protection than anything! Just hoping to come across someone who has done this to their own shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

ripplecon wrote: »
    Hi,
    I thank you for your reply!
    I saw one today actually with guttering, and I may do this also. It even looks good. This will not fully stop the problem tho, because I can see with my current shed that it is seepage from the concentrate base and there is room enough for bugs and stuff to get in, so it has to be sealed some way.

As for free standing shelving, this is out of the question in this case, because these sheds are so easy to damage from the inside out, ply-lining it is more for protection than anything! Just hoping to come across someone who has done this to their own shed!

:confused:
    That's the point, freestanding shelves will not interfere with the shed (interior/exterior).

Yes but free standing shelving, will not protect the shed from being damaged from the inside out. 2 or 3 mm steel is really easy dent. this is one of the problems i am trying to sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

ripplecon wrote: »
    Yes but free standing shelving, will not protect the shed from being damaged from the inside out. 2 or 3 mm steel is really easy dent. this is one of the problems i am trying to sort.

more like 0.5mm steel.

put pvc under the concrete base to help with the dampness. And expanding foam around the bottom of the shed to seal the gaps

• Advertisement

TPM wrote: »
    more like 0.5mm steel.

put pvc under the concrete base to help with the dampness. And expanding foam around the bottom of the shed to seal the gaps

Yes 0.5mm sounds more accurate, I should know better, working with steel all my life. Ha.

Expanding foam, sounds easy, I like your line of thinking, have you tried this yourself?

Advertisement