Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

/\ carefull of that A6, it was only for sale the last week elsewhere......this lad may be trying to get rid..and not for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

MidlandsM wrote: »
    /\ carefull of that A6, it was only for sale the last week elsewhere......this lad may be trying to get rid..and not for profit.
    Hope you didn't go to portlaois on that other yoke....

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Hope you didn't go to portlaois on that other yoke....

no.... went to england and bought a few yokes there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

no.... went to england and bought a few yokes there ;)

A wise decision!

one for RJ! but too much money for it.....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3809330

• Advertisement

.......... but too much money for it..............

Indeed, I paid €2350 for a 1999 fully specced one in 2006 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Lets be honest though, it's that cheap because of the tax system. If the tax system changed to make these cars affordable prices would go up.

Explain this then: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E38-735i-V8-Samoa-Blue-individual-Very-rare-car-SPORTS-/200825307061?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2ec21effb5

Costs 200 quid to tax for 12 months in the UK, in immaculate condition and advertised at a price not a million miles away from the said example on DoneDeal.

Explain this then: ..............

Only 3 months test and no tax, no tax is a relative biggy really over there.
    And more importantly you'd need to be certified or else need to be very very on the ball to suss out "Sometimes the Check coolant message comes up - Been told by mechanic this could be the sensor as the car does not overheat", might be after a cooking or too, who knows?

Also........ "at times when filled up too much it does smell of fuel but it snothing that’s bothered me since it soon goes away" ... at best the fuel filler neck yoke is wrecked.

In short, that to me looks like an untaxed crate of sh1t.

Defo not
    ........ in immaculate condition..............

;)

RoverJames wrote: »
    And more importantly you'd need to be certified or else need to be very very on the ball to suss out "Sometimes the Check coolant message comes up - Been told by mechanic this could be the sensor as the car does not overheat", might be after a cooking or too, who knows?

Also........ "at times when filled up too much it does smell of fuel but it snothing that’s bothered me since it soon goes away" ... at best the fuel filler neck yoke is wrecked.

Defo not

;)

I didn't really read that deeply into the advert to be honest. It was just one example of many big engine cars that can be picked up at for in and around that price in the UK in usually tidy enough condition:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-BMW-728i-2-8-auto-i-Sport-Alloys-E38-/251163778633?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a7a871e49

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-BMW-530I-SE-AUTO-116100-GEN-MILES-IMMACULATE-COND-T-OUT-1295-PX-POSS-/200830595574?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2ec26fb1f6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-R-Jaguar-XJ8-3-2-V8-Sport-Automatic-/170919333002?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27cb960c8a

That's almost twice the price of the one in Ireland?
    .... and isn't a V8 anyway.

• Advertisement

That's almost twice the price of the one in Ireland?

Even so, it's hardly a difference of several thousand. I'd much rather pay twice the price in purchasing it than taxing it every year.

Prices of big cars over the water are not vastly different to here and that's with a tax system that is fair and therefore more compliant.

Ah sure I'll just "agree" so :D
    Even though you have just linked to a 728i asking almost twice over there what the 735i is asking for here :pac:

Ah sure I'll just "agree" so :D
    Even though you have just linked to a 728i asking almost twice over there what the 735i is asking for here :pac:

A 728i is still a car that would be out of bounds for most people on the tax system over here, so it's much of a muchness really. No doubt you could find a 735i/740i easily if you were to search other sites.

In relation to big car prices in general over there, here is a V6 Saab 9-5 Griffin at £995 for extra measure: http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C338266

In relation to big car prices in general over there.........

In relation to big cars in general and the example you use is a 13 year old Saab that appeals to a tiny market ?

You have your views, I don't agree with them :)

In relation to big cars in general and the example you use is a 13 year old Saab that appeals to a tiny market ?

You have your views, I don't agree with them :)

Aside from the Saab, I have posted other valid examples of cheap cars that are all for sale for relative buttons compared to what they would cost in European countries on the continent. You can clutch at straws saying "that car has a limited market" or "it is double the price"; combined with the UK tax system they are far better as ownership propositions compared to here where pre 2008 large cubic capacity models are taxed regardless of their fuel type or any other valid data in relation to their actual pollution.

Have a look at the likes of 2006 330i here and in the UK, much cheaper here. Btw, all the examples you posted confirmed the that the 735i was cheaper here, the one in England us borderline scrap. Whose on about the continent? It's here and the UK the comparison you started was between, now as you realise your examples actually weakened your point you're bladdering on about prices on the continent !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What a ropey ad!

Banner says Honda Accord 1.8 GSi

Text says Rover 618

Pic says Rover 623GSi (i.e. 2,258 cc)

Not your ornery onager

It's a 1.8 with presumably a boot lid off s 623, I reckon they took the alloys off the 623 too as I'm fairly sure the ones on it are gsi spec alloys and the 618s weren't available in gsi spec, not 100 per cent sure :) 618 luxury were leather equipped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4029194

98 avensis
    nct
    leather seats
    very low milage for year

750 asking

if you could drive it home for 5/600 its cheap reliable motoring if it checks out
    (and isnt a clocked ex taxi)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

(and isnt a clocked ex taxi)
    Those vinyl seat covers look very taxi-ish to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Defo not

;)

Not forgetting it's also Lavender coloured!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,753 ✭✭✭✭unkel

1250 for a 14 year old Rover 618? Dreamer thread that way
    > :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    1250 for a 14 year old Rover 618? Dreamer thread that way
    > :D

It's a Honda maaaann...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I didn't get going to look at that Saab estate, unexpected bill landed, and has soaked up any spare cash I had to even think about it just at the moment.

Always happens when I happen to start looking at motors.

:(

Have a look at the likes of 2006 330i here and in the UK, much cheaper here.

We're discussing bangernomics here.
    Whose on about the continent? It's here and the UK the comparison you started was between, now as you realise your examples actually weakened your point you're bladdering on about prices on the continent !

Ireland and the UK have probably the cheapest prices around for older used cars. It is a well known fact you would pay a few thousand for a '00/01 E38 anywhere else in Europe.

Here is an Audi A8 4.2 with recent timing belt change for under a grand: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-AUDI-A8-4-2-QUATTRO-AUTO-SILVER-/271078209451?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f1d8537ab

Apart from a faulty electric driver's seat, it demonstrates my point that the road tax rates alone do not decimate the value of older big engined cars in this country. This car is cheap in the UK, where taxing these things is not such a costly affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

We're discussing bangernomics here.

Ireland and the UK have probably the cheapest prices around for older used cars. It is a well known fact you would pay a few thousand for a '00/01 E38 anywhere else in Europe.

Here is an Audi A8 4.2 with recent timing belt change for under a grand: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-AUDI-A8-4-2-QUATTRO-AUTO-SILVER-/271078209451?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f1d8537ab

Apart from a faulty electric driver's seat, it demonstrates my point that the road tax rates alone do not decimate the value of older big engined cars in this country. This car is cheap in the UK, where taxing these things is not such a costly affair.

Motor tax (IT'S NOT ROAD TAX, FFS.)

That's really all I have to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

I got a 2001 2.5 GX Legacy today for €1300. FSH, leather, cruise, adjustable air suspension, twin sunroofs etc. ;-)

2012-10-14%252011.28.27.jpg

2012-10-14%252011.28.03.jpg

2012-10-14%252011.27.48.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Mr. Nice wrote: »
    I got a 2001 2.5 GX Legacy today for €1300. FSH, leather, cruise, adjustable air suspension, twin sunroofs etc. ;-)
    I hope it is an estate. I used to drive an earlier one. Superb cars. Enjoy it ;).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Mr. Nice wrote: »

Sounds very nice - hope u enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

2000 1.8 Toledo with Tax and NCT for €499
    Full-14892514.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement