Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tomato - Medium or Large

Options
  • 02-07-2014 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭

Any number will do. And any colour for that matter. Show us all the variety that the supermarket shelf never does. Give us Red, Orange, Blue, Black, Green and Yellow. Striped, Plum, Beefsteak and Heart-shaped. Showcase this summer fruit that stands in a league all of its own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

San Marzano. Large plum type tomato that is supposed to be great for sauces. First time with this one. Plants are a bit of a madman so the crop better be good or I won't be bothering with this one again.

2rr5c84.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

redser7 wrote: »
    San Marzano. Large plum type tomato that is supposed to be great for sauces. First time with this one. Plants are a bit of a madman so the crop better be good or I won't be bothering with this one again.

2rr5c84.jpg

How did they go for you Redser?

I planted the seeds mid March and the weather has been awful, repotted into 30cm pots last week and only have three trusses so far.

Need to get some heat into this bloody country...

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭nokiatom

ive grown many varieties of tomatoes with success but all were grown under glass. I used to sow the seeds in march but april can be a cold month and many did not survive or were in poor health. now I sow the seeds in late april and may as the last few autumns have been very good and I have picked my last tomatoes into early november

nokiatom wrote: »
    ive grown many varieties of tomatoes with success but all were grown under glass. I used to sow the seeds in march but april can be a cold month and many did not survive or were in poor health. now I sow the seeds in late april and may as the last few autumns have been very good and I have picked my last tomatoes into early november

Thanks, seeded mine mid March, only got a greenhouse a few weeks ago and have them out there in 30cm pots and they are starting to thrive, fingers crossed.

some of the tomatoes I have grown

• Advertisement

Great stuff Nokia, hope they go well for you this year.

It's funny looking at the pictures, I forgot what tomato plants looked like and couldn't imagine it.

no experimenting this year...just two varities

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

no experimenting this year...just two varities

What two nokiatom? I'm growing Gardeners' Delight, my favourite, and 3 others, Super Marmande, Black Cherry and Sungold.

actually I have 3 varieties, a friend of mine gave me a few seeds that he got from tomatoes when he was in Malta last year. only two seeds germinated and I don't know if they are the bush type or must I nip out the side shoots. he said they were big tomatoes. im only growing moneymaker and cerise this year. last year I had holly rose, aurora, gardeners delight, roma, moneymaker and cerise. this year I don't have as much times hence im growing less

how are the tomatoes doing ?

• Advertisement

Not great, they were late going out into the greenhouse (my bad) and of course, not sure about anyone else, but where we are, July has been cold and wet, so it's slow going. Won't be getting any tomatoes until mid August at the earliest.

my plants are doing well and look very healthy. lots of flowers now with some small green tomatoes. another two weeks I reckon before I will have any pickings

Mine are doing well, first year growing and have only used tomato fertiliser, trying to keep them organic.

Any ideas about the black spot on a couple of them, I am hoping it's not blossom end rot, if it is any idea.

I have a good few spare plants at various stages if anyone is interested, I am just off Blanchardstown Village.

Hmm the brown spot is on the side in the first picture, and your plants are indoors? Blossom end rot will be on the bottom of a tomato. Shouldn't be blight if the tomato plants are indoors, but it could be that.

water them regularly and don't over feed them. too much nitrogen is not good either. make sure they have ventilation too

ncur wrote: »
    Hmm the brown spot is on the side in the first picture, and your plants are indoors? Blossom end rot will be on the bottom of a tomato. Shouldn't be blight if the tomato plants are indoors, but it could be that.

They are in a crappy plastic greenhouse (€58 Argos), the ones with the spot are near the front, they all have more than three trusses so I am using tomato feed twice a week (20ml per 10 litre) and not using water at all.

They are in pots with compost and I only fertilise when the top of the compost is light brown/ dry for two days

water them regularly and don't over feed them. too much nitrogen is not good either. make sure they have ventilation too

Cheers, the greenhouse is very crowded so I am going to need to thin it out, the greenhouse is about 6ft by 3ft and I have 15 large plants (over 4 feet) and then about 6 smaller ones on shelves, I tend to leave the front open but the greenhouse is so **** if it's anyway windy it is getting battered by the wind.

I also have about 8 outside which have been getting too much water lately.

Twice a week feeding might be too much? I would have thought once a week would be plenty. I have my plants in open ended pots, so I water at the bottom and feed at the top, if you get what I mean.

Shemale wrote: »
    Cheers, the greenhouse is very crowded so I am going to need to thin it out, the greenhouse is about 6ft by 3ft and I have 15 large plants (over 4 feet) and then about 6 smaller ones on shelves, I also have about 8 outside which have been getting too much water lately.

That is quite a few alright. But you might be ok if you have louvres, open door and ceiling windows open. Open first thing in the morning, to keep cool and ventilated and close at night to maintain overnight temperatures.

Sorry just reread post, it's a plastic greenhouse? So actual floor space is probably only 3ft by 1.5ft?

Twice a week feeding might be too much? I would have thought once a week would be plenty. I have my plants in open ended pots, so I water at the bottom and feed at the top, if you get what I mean.

Might be, I will feed once a week and water once, the fertiliser says to feed twice a week once it is past the third truss and flowering so I had been. Would be sick to run into problems when the only thing stopping me having nice ripe tomatoes is the crap weather.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, if that's what the feed says, I guess. You could always run your own trial and feed some plants twice a week, and some plants once a week and see how they get on!

Fair enough, if that's what the feed says, I guess. You could always run your own trial and feed some plants twice a week, and some plants once a week and see how they get on!

I will reign it back on them all for a week or so, like I say first time doing this so I am relying on the packets to lead me.

Might get away with 12 big plants in there maybe. 15 is probably a bit of squeeze, if they're all cordon varieties? If they're a mix of varieties (cordon, bush) then you might be ok.

I will reign it back on them all for a week or so, like I say first time doing this so I am relying on the packets to lead me.

Well rhs.org.uk says twice a week so who am I to argue! Maybe my feed is more concentrated because I've found once a week to be sufficient.

Cheers, the greenhouse is very crowded so I am going to need to thin it out, the greenhouse is about 6ft by 3ft and I have 15 large plants (over 4 feet) and then about 6 smaller ones on shelves, I tend to leave the front open but the greenhouse is so **** if it's anyway windy it is getting battered by the wind.

I also have about 8 outside which have been getting too much water lately
    15 plants is too many in such a small space ....your open to all sort of problems there. my greenhouse is similar to yours but slightly bigger and I think its slightly overcrowded with 10 plants ! I usually leave the door way slightly open at the bottom. I then cut out an opening on top to let the air out.

I also have about 8 outside which have been getting too much water lately
    15 plants is too many in such a small space ....your open to all sort of problems there. my greenhouse is similar to yours but slightly bigger and I think its slightly overcrowded with 10 plants ! I usually leave the door way slightly open at the bottom. I then cut out an opening on top to let the air out.

Thanks, thought so the plants are starting to mingle and I have to take the middle ones out to get in with the watering can.

Do tomato plants flower more than once in a season?

They flower all through the growing season, as the plants get taller. Lower (older) first to higher (newer) last. Once a section flowers, it doesn't flower again, unless you don't pinch out the side shoots, which may flower in their own right!

Well rhs.org.uk says twice a week so who am I to argue! Maybe my feed is more concentrated because I've found once a week to be sufficient.
    what size pots have you ?

• Advertisement

I use a system similar to this https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=437, probably 9" bottomless pots in my case, homemade compost used in the pot. It's been a winning system for about 10 years now, always happy with it. It's the blinking weather that's beyond my control.

Advertisement