Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

File sharing between Mac and PC using ethernet

Options
  • 11-01-2016 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Starting a new editing project in the morning, where I will be working on a Windows 7 PC in the same room as someone working on a mac (not sure what specific OS he's running, but most likely 10.7 or up). We're looking to connect the two computers directly via ethernet, so that I can send large media files to his machine as we both work.

I've spent the last couple of hours looking at step by step tutorials online, watching youtube videos, and everything; but no matter what I do, I can't get the machines to see each other. I've followed all the steps laid out, but when it comes to trying to connect to server on the mac by typing in the PC's IP address in the format - "smb://169.254.x.x"; it says connection failed.

All the tutorials online seem to make it look easy, but I fear that I'm completely in the dark when it comes to even basic networking. Am I missing a crucial, unstated step? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    There's probably not very much info to go off in my post here, so apologies for that.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

probably down to Apple Department of Awkwardness and their version of SMB or something , SMB mismatch/features

start a server of some description on one of them

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=server

or whatever else you'd like to use

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

or easier to use something like this :

https://winscp.net/eng/download.php

just enable SSH on the mac

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭65535

Get Tonido, works on all PC/MAC/Linux
    http://www.tonido.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you considered setting up an FTP server on your Windows machine, and having them connect to it from the Mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the replies. Managed to get connected eventually after a lot of farting around, and utilising samba, but the speed is abysmal. It's an Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network card on the PC, but I'm getting at most 11MB a sec when copying. Not so great for moving a hundred GBs of footage...

I went the ftp route, and ham handedly managed to get a connection between the two machines, but the speed is still the same.

Any ideas why the connection speed is so choked? In the link speed in the card properties, it craps out when I try to force the card to 1.0Gbps Full Duplex. It goes directly to 100Mbps/Full duplex when I select 'Auto Negotiation'. Is my card telling me big fibs about being a gigabit card?

Again, apologies for the vague info... Seriously out of my depth when it comes to this kind of work.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭65535

It depends on how they connect together.
    If you use a Gigabit switch then the cards will auto negotiate to Gigabit speeds.
    If you use a 10/100 switch then you will get 100 max

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

make sure you have cat5e cable that can do 1 gig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I haven't seen any mention of a switch - OP are you maybe using a crossover cable - i.e. there is a single cable running between the Win7 network card and the Mac?

If so then this will need to be rated at Cat 5e or Cat 6 to get the speeds you want. If it's Cat 5, your going to be limited to 10/100Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just to explain in case you were unaware OP, 100Mb/s ~12MB/s so you're getting the expected speed.

As above, you need good cabling and a Gig NIC on both machines.

Advertisement