Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over conditioned Cider (Or Beer)

• 05-07-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

I've got a good bit of over bottle conditioned cider. I was a bit concerned about not conditioning it enough and paid the price.

Any tips on preparing the bottles for drinking?

I had some ideas. Like cracking it a day or two before drinking them so they'd flatten out or maybe they get more manageable the cooler they are. Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Nulty wrote: »
    I've got a good bit of over bottle conditioned cider. I was a bit concerned about not conditioning it enough and paid the price.

Any tips on preparing the bottles for drinking?

I had some ideas. Like cracking it a day or two before drinking them so they'd flatten out or maybe they get more manageable the cooler they are. Any suggestions would be great.

Yes, cool them. Get them as close to zero as you can (without freezing) this will make it less volatile when opening. Then you can open them, vent them and recap them. That's the only real option unless you want to just open them and let them go flat. You might be tempted to try and pour them all back into a bottling bucket and start again - I would advise against this due to the potential aeration you'd create.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

azzeretti wrote: »
    Yes, cool them. Get them as close to zero as you can (without freezing) this will make it less volatile when opening. Then you can open them, vent them and recap them. That's the only real option unless you want to just open them and let them go flat. You might be tempted to try and pour them all back into a bottling bucket and start again - I would advise against this due to the potential aeration you'd create.

If I 'just open' them they basically erupt all over the place.

The big issue is the there is loads of yeast at the bottom of the bottles and I would prefer that the yeast didn't lift. Also afraid that if I cool them too much they'll explode. They're already pushing the caps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Nulty wrote: »
    If I 'just open' them they basically erupt all over the place.

Lowering the temperature (as close to freezing as you can) makes the CO2 less volatile when the bottle is opened and it shouldn't erupt as much.
    The big issue is the there is loads of yeast at the bottom of the bottles and I would prefer that the yeast didn't lift. Also afraid that if I cool them too much they'll explode. They're already pushing the caps a little.

They won't exploded if you don't freeze them. Still, if you have really overdone it you might not be able to save them at all to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

azzeretti wrote: »
    Lowering the temperature (as close to freezing as you can) makes the CO2 less volatile when the bottle is opened and it shouldn't erupt as much.

They won't exploded if you don't freeze them. Still, if you have really overdone it you might not be able to save them at all to be honest.

Thanks for the input. A couple of them burst but the rest should be ok. I've got some that are in Grolsch type bottles and they seem to let off pressure through their seals but the crowns do exactly what they're supposed to. Had a couple of budvar bottles crack but the guinness and other Ale bottles are like tanks of the bottle world. Should be fine.

Advertisement