Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharon Ni Bheolain = Affectation?

• 15-05-2008 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

I cannot believe that Sharon Ni Bheolain is still employed by RTE to read the Six-One News, she is truly awful in my opinion.

Everyone knows who I'm talking about ~ Yes that's right, the sexy one who looks like she has been shrink wrapped in cling film before being poured into a barbie doll dress :)

Every evening she does my head-in, & no doubt also 'does-in' poor long suffering Brian Dobson's head also.

What really grates with me is her silly 'gravel effect' voice which she has obviously cultivated, in which she seems to dileberately drag certain words through the depths of her throat gravel, gravel, gravel to make her sound more interesting maybe :cool: or more mature (with more authority)??? whatever the reason, that silly 'voice thing' really does my head-in, add to that her even sillier punctuation, which seems to have commas in the middle, of some sentences, but not in others ? whilst at the same time she speaks to us (the viewers) in a very slow & excessively patronising way (as if we are slightly retarded)? and finally, whats with her Make-up artist?

God preserve us, whats going on with the Panda Eyes, the Rouge, the Eye Liner & the mascara, the always unpredictable Mad Hair ??? Am I the only one to think that its totally OTT for a professional News reader?

The first time I heard Sharon I wanted to send a Box of Strepsills in the post to ease her sore & croaky throat, but then after about three weeks I thought 'Hang on a Minute' this 'Craoky Voice' thing is an Act?
    (or just pure Affectation)?

There must I thought, be other more capable, more mature Female Newsreaders who RTE could employ for the Six-One News? Gráinne Seoige comes to mind (A true professional News reader) without Affectation.

Listening & Watching Sharon on the Six-One was funny at first, but its gone beyond a joke now, & its embarrassing when you compare her to female presenters from other Stations (or even to other RTE News readers).

Anyone agree or disagree with my observations? feel free to comment . . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Most readers have some sort of "character quirk" it seems, the one who is the Bheolain Mimi Me Siun Nic Gearailt has the look of a potential killer, just something slightly angry about her!

Sharon is a bit of clothes horse but its the way of the world - would Eileen Dunne get a gig if she were 25?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

Sharon and Siun are absolute crackers all right, but their newsreading abilities leave a lot to be desired. Whereas, Anne Doyle and Eileen Dunne wouldn't float my boat but are excellent readers. Unfortunately you can't have everything:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Heathen, Kill him !!!
    Sharon is the main reason most red blooded mails watch the 6.1 news I reckon.
    Being serious though, I don't find her voice or manner a problem at all, she's perfectly apt at news reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

ive never found sharon in any way sexy
    shes incredibly boring and devoid of any charisma

ive heard shes very shy

ann doyle is very sexy where as eileen dunne is more nun or wise aunty material

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

She's not shy. She's a bit of a diva according to my mates who know her. The voice is certainly affected but the thing that annoys me most is the fact she's absolutely crap at interviews. She's not a journalist, she shouldn't be doing it cos she's just terrible at it. Woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I've not a problem with her. She's fine.

RTÉ must be the only organisation that still has newsreaders as opposed to journalists doing the news*. Anne Doyle and Eileen Dunne don't exactly cut the mustard on two-ways either.

But, I still think that Una O'Hagan should come back to 6-1, if she can.

EDIT: just thought of ARD's Taggeshau, but they don't do two-ways, and look down at the script, not read it from autocues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yep auld Shar cultivated the gravelly throaty voice and the lip pout everytime she finishes a sentence.Loves herself I would opine.Doesn't harden my wood so to speak.

Hows an ever an anyways ,she's not likely to get any bad vibes from that, and Ar. T E know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Overdraft

The Sharon affectation business is comical at this stage, I'm beginning to think she's taking the p1ss. 'Dublin', for example, should really consist of two syllables, but Sharon manages to stretch it to four: "Du-bah-uh-lin".

Anne Doyle and Eileen Dunne, however, are, in my very humble opinion, by far the best newsreaders on Irish television. Those who fail to notice this, too busy are they studying mascara and lipstick, should probably stick to watching 'Willy Enlargements Live', or whatever it is TV3 air at 9.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

DMC wrote: »
    But, I still think that Una O'Hagan should come back to 6-1, if she can. EDIT: just thought of ARD's Taggeshau, but they don't do two-ways, and look down at the script, not read it from autocues.

I agree with you 100% about Una O'Hagan & I feel a little sorry for her being 'put out to grass' to make way for Sharon Ni gravelly throat, & your right too about the script which she seems to look down at quite a lot, usually just before she sticks out her bottom lip (pouting)? & as for her 'Make Up' Artist . . . . :cool:

ArthurF wrote: »
    I agree with you 100% about Una O'Hagan & I feel a little sorry for her being 'put out to grass' to make way for Sharon Ni gravelly throat, & your right too about the script which she seems to look down at quite a lot, usually just before she sticks out her bottom lip (pouting)? & as for her 'Make Up' Artist . . . . :cool:

I didn't mean Sharon does that hugely, a lot of newsreaders will look down to emphasise that they are reading a quote. Huw Edwards does this to a T.

What I mean is Tagesschau on ARD don't use autocues to read the news. The autocue is used for announcements at the end and perhaps at the lead-off, but the rest of the news is off the table.

ARD make a Video Podcast of Tagesschau available on iTunes or on their website. It might look arcane to some people, but I think it looks authoritative. You don't have to know German to see what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the germans are good at authorative.

I watch BBC, RTE, ITN, & SKY News mostly, & to be honest I didnt know what 'ARD's Taggeshau' was until I klicked on your Link (its a German Station right)?

I am sure the Germans, French, Swiss etc do TV News very differently to us.

ARD, or "Das Erste", or "The First" is the equivalent of BBC 1 or RTE 1, the main TV channel of the nations main public service broadcaster.

Cheers for that DMC, but do any of the female presenters slap-on the eye liner like Sharon? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

What I don't like about Sharon ni Bheolain is the way she sucks in her lips slightly after announcing something sad. (Brian Dobson does this a bit aswell). This is the kind of kind of faux emotionalism you'd associate with TV3 news but not with our public service broadcaster

Ann Doyle on the other hand wouldn't show the slightest grimace of emotion even if the was announcing the death of her own children - brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

hang on , hang on , hang on.

sharon talks? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    What I don't like about Sharon ni Bheolain is the way she sucks in her lips slightly after announcing something sad. (Brian Dobson does this a bit aswell). This is the kind of kind of faux emotionalism you'd associate with TV3 news but not with our public service broadcaster

Ann Doyle on the other hand wouldn't show the slightest grimace of emotion even if the was announcing the death of her own children - brilliant

i would ANN quicker than sharon but to be honest id wait till both of them were finished and go straight for jean byrne who reads the weather , what an incredible woman for her age , woof woof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

i would ANN quicker than sharon but to be honest id wait till both of them were finished and go straight for jean byrne who reads the weather , what an incredible woman for her age , woof woof

Come on now guys. This is starting to look more like a BGRH thread than a serious media discussion.

...but while we're on the subject: bring back Ann Cassin, she looks pretty smokin' on that sh!tty Dublin programme she presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭starryeye

I like Anne Doyle, Eileen Dunne, Anne Cassin, Eileen Whelan, Grainne Seoige's voices.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

DMC wrote: »

What I mean is Tagesschau on ARD don't use autocues to read the news. The autocue is used for announcements at the end and perhaps at the lead-off, but the rest of the news is off the table.

What is the benefit of that? Downside being that someone has to run in with a piece of paper when the next story changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

LordSutch wrote: »

Una wasn't put out to grass. She took leave of absence for family reasons.
    She is an excellent newsreader and should be back on the 6 One with Brian Dobson.
    Unfortunately, the gob****es in RTE think they will attract more viewers with Sharon reading.

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    Come on now guys. This is starting to look more like a BGRH thread than a serious media discussion.

...but while we're on the subject: bring back Ann Cassin, she looks pretty smokin' on that sh!tty Dublin programme she presents.

God No. She is not a newsreader full stop. Doesn't smile, horrible on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

Una O'Hagan is/was a fantastic newsreader imo.

Ursula Halligan on tv3 has to be the most irritating newsreader to watch because she seems to blink a million times a second-does my HEAD IN! More annoying because I find her grand to listen to, just cannot watch her.

As for Sharon NiWhatserface, I dont think she is particularly good at what she does anyway, but having met her a few times in a customer service role, she treats everybody around her like crap and has an ego to beat Madonnas. Definately ideas above her station and for that reason I cant watch her anymore. All that makeup has affected her brain somehow imo.

Azureus wrote: »
    Una O'Hagan is/was a fantastic newsreader imo.

Ursula Halligan on tv3 has to be the most irritating newsreader to watch because she seems to blink a million times a second-does my HEAD IN! More annoying because I find her grand to listen to, just cannot watch her.

As for Sharon NiWhatserface, I dont think she is particularly good at what she does anyway, but having met her a few times in a customer service role, she treats everybody around her like crap and has an ego to beat Madonnas. Definately ideas above her station and for that reason I cant watch her anymore. All that makeup has affected her brain somehow imo.

Without being pedantic Ursula Halligan is NOT a newsreader, she is a political reporter and a bad one at that. She is the spit for Angela Lansbury, the actress from Murer, She Wrote!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

I like sharon, but they should turn her mic down a little so she has to speak up more that should sort that gravel sound when she speaks low.

Dobbo used to finish every interview with a stern "very good", then sharon started it too..... now dobbo has dropped it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Eileen Whelan is a hidden sex kitten... she should wear better clothes all u guys will notice her bod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

She's a pain in the HOOP! An awful newsreader. She stumbles her way through interviews etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Sharon is awesome, end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Sharon is not great at it either IMO. I agree that she is horrible at interviews as well.

Whatever happened to Eileen Whelan? I have not seen her on RTE News in months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement