Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAR: Wicklow Adventure Race Glenmalure

• 10-06-2010 5:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Anyone else doing this?

http://glenmalure.wicklowadventurerace.com/

Just signed up for it as an early bird.

The Glendalough race was excellent and one of the best races i have competed in so i cant wait for this.

Much better value than GF although im doing that too. A sucker for punishment i guess.

Never been to Glenmalure so im not really sure what to expect but i was never in Glendalough or Blessington before WAR and ROAR so all i can say is bring on the hills:)

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 12 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    75%
    ebowdiaOryxSpudmonkeynerraw1111trinewbieguaposChazMichaelGoHardOrGoHomeGear Freak 9 votes
    3 stars (average)
    8%
    hf4z6sqo7vjngi 1 vote
    2 stars (poor)
    16%
    Nem_eEido 2 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

4 stars (good)
    Yeah I've signed up as well. I'm hoping to see a big improvement on the bike and less walking on the uphill parts of runs. The hellfire duathlon will be a nice training exercise.
    http://hellfire.wicklowadventurerace.com/

Looking forward to hearing about the route from those who know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Still in 2 minds about this one as I've both Gaelforce and Achill too. If memory serves me correctly the cycle on this one is quite tough but it's a long time since I've been around that way so I may be mistaken.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

4 stars (good)
    The expert entry for WAR glenmalure is not working today. Is it full?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Still in 2 minds about this one as I've both Gaelforce and Achill too. If memory serves me correctly the cycle on this one is quite tough but it's a long time since I've been around that way so I may be mistaken.

Yeah, reckon the cycle is tougher then GF & Achill.
    Sliabh Mann & Shay Elliott are hard climbs, they are long but not too steep.
    You can never do too many adventure races :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Git101 wrote: »
    You can never do too many adventure races :D

My mind says this but I'm not sure if the body would always agree !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

4 stars (good)
    They've added an off road section to the cycle

http://glenmalure.wicklowadventurerace.com/index.php/course/shay-elliott-cycle/

Do you think kevlar tyres will be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DPA

I wish i'd known there's off road before i entered.

Any kind of rain on that section and you're a gonner even on gatorskins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

DPA wrote: »
    I wish i'd known there's off road before i entered.

Ya i agree. Not sure if i would have entered if i had known about the off road section.
    Im more of a mountain biker than a road racer and so would love the conditions if the section was long enough to warrent using a mountain bike. However at only 1.5 k ill be using the racer.

I just hate the fact that puncturing is a real danger when racing on these road types. No matter how hard u train one flat tire and its over. I know its the same for everyone but its a bit unfair on the people who will puncture.

Bring it on anyway, no going back now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

I'm in for this two, if tis half as good as WAR that was on in April twill be great.
    I reckon Ill try to get some tough tires for the racer. 1.5k is definetly not worth using the mtb for.

4 stars (good)
    The pictures of the road dont look any worse than the roads outside my house right now. But Id worry about a puncture too. Is there any benefit in putting 'slime' in the tubes beforehand. Ive only got a racer, so will have to trust in providence that it will get me around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Tiffany Incalculable Axle

3 stars (average)
    Just got talked into doing this, any advice on what gear to wear, cycling gear or shorts, backpack etc.

Just got talked into doing this, any advice on what gear to wear, cycling gear or shorts, backpack etc.

Check out the gael force thread. Its pretty much the same style of race so the gear/nutrition will be much the same its just theres alot more people doing the GF than WAR so theres much more advice there.

Mt 2 cents would be to get a pair of tri shorts and to try out different energy gels/bars to find the ones that suit you before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

he all, I have just signed up to do the sport version of the wicklow adventure race with a friend,http://glenmalure.wicklowadventurerace.com/ i decided on that as i have not done an adventure race of any sorts in the past. Im just wondering about clothing and stuff to bring.

I have my torso all sorted so to say with a cantubury cold long sleeve base layer, nike dry fit technical tee-shirt, the jersey we will be getting and my high viz cycling jacket which i think is ok. i have karrimor running tights and cycling shorts as well for the lower half of my body.Does this clothing sound like enough or would you reccomend anything else.

the next decision is a really good decent pair of trail runners and i am willing to spend between 60-80 euro on these and will streach it to 90 euro if necessary as i have a number of other events lined up. I have no idea where to start here and would appreciate some help i.e. what runners would be suitable/ brand names that would be recommended. Should i also get technical socks or water proofish socks like seal skins.

for hydration i plan to use a camalbak or similar as i can put spares of what ever i need in this bag too like a fleece and that. can anyone reccomend a hydration pack or another form of hydration.

thanks in advance and apologies for the long post
    sinead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

Hey,

Recently bought a pair of Saloman speedcross 2 and find them pretty good, nice and light but they are roughly 100 euro. Great Outdoors had a decent selection when i was in there, a new shop on Abbey shop called Base Camp also have trial runners.

I have a Deuter hydration pack i use and have had no problems with it, the Camelbacks are meant to very good, there was talk of a few people on the Gaelforce thread buying camelbacks and finding them great. Wiggle and Chainreactioncycles are probably your best place to get one.

In terms of clothing you'll be wearing too much if you wear all you mention, I've done a few races and only whore cycling bib shorts, a cycling jersey, and a long sleeve top for when its windy/raining. This year for gaelforce i'll just be wearing a tri suit and a cycling jersey and have a long sleeve top for going up CP to keep warm.

Good luck with your training and maybe see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Before you start an events thread please check there isn't one for that event already, like this...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935727

thanks for your help madson, i got a pair of asics today, blackheath 2 which were on sale and reccomended. there very comfortable too.

appologies sloggerjogger i must have missed that thread i will ask the mods to delete/lock this thread

4 stars (good)
    biomed32, I just want to echo whats being said, youve got too much gear there. a light cycle shirt and shorts is enough to wear, bring waterproofs and base layers in your kit, (will likely be mandatory anyway). Its only September, I wouldnt wear that much in January.

I wouldnt wear wp socks. Your shoes will let water out, I find seal skins trap water inside if you totally immerse them, and thats a nightmare. Wet feet wont bother you that much if you have breathable socks.

Keep your rucksack light as possible. Water is heavy! Have two bottle cages on the bike in preference to a lot of water on your back.

Found myself running on the trail section from Kellys Lough on Sunday having come around and down from Clohernagh. A nice descent at the end before you'll be back on the bikes for more pain and suffering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kellysean

Lads,
    I'm trying to figure out what bike to use for the WAR racew in Sept. I used a racing bike in the April WAR race and also in Gealforce last year.

However, the WAR website indicated 1.5km will be off track. So I'm not sure weather to use racing bike and carry it over the off tracp section or to use a mountain bike for the race.

Would really appreciate to hear what others are planning on doing.

Thanks,
    Sean.

4 stars (good)
    Im bringing a racer, simply because the hybrid bike i have is slow and heavy in comparison. Ill deal with that offroad section on the day, wheel or carry the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

How does the run compare to the run on the Achill Roar expert last year, wanted to cry like a baby on the climb last year -- under estimated ROAR in spades last year, tough run and cycle .
    Doing GF and ROAR expert and would like to do this or blacksod tri on 18th but thats only a week after ROAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kellysean

Oryx wrote: »
    Im bringing a racer, simply because the hybrid bike i have is slow and heavy in comparison. Ill deal with that offroad section on the day, wheel or carry the bike.

Ye, i'm between minds. Trying to figure out of the mountain bike will be slower overall copared with a racer and just carrying it on the off road sectio!!

How does the run compare to the run on the Achill Roar expert last year, wanted to cry like a baby on the climb last year -- under estimated ROAR in spades last year, tough run and cycle .
    Doing GF and ROAR expert and would like to do this or blacksod tri on 18th but thats only a week after ROAR.

The trail runs are gradual and not severe depending on how hard you are pushing it. The hill run on Croaghanmoira will sort people out though. What it lacks in distance it makes up for in evil steepness and hard underfoot conditions. A pity you can't take a moment at the top to take in the marvellous view.

The trail runs are gradual and not severe depending on how hard you are pushing it. The hill run on Croaghanmoira will sort people out though. What it lacks in distance it makes up for in evil steepness and hard underfoot conditions. A pity you can't take a moment at the top to take in the marvellous view.

Is the trail run obvious for Croaghanmoira SJ?

I ran Carrawaystick last night. Is very doable and pretty enjoyable. I plan to run the Croagh this weekend

I ran Carrawaystick last night. Is very doable and pretty enjoyable. I plan to run the Croagh this weekend

I've only run up and down it from one side (aughrim, not aughavannagh side) and the path is clear as day.

thanks oryx, i have decided to ditch the socks as said and have gotten a pair of 1000 mile socks with my runners that I bought, Asics blackheath gel runners reduced from 80 to 60 euro. i have done two short runs with them and will be heading to the park tomorrow to do some trail running and sprints, so far they are very comfortable and have good stability.

i hear you on the clothing. i went out with my nike dryfit and figured i would be far to warm with the layers i said, I now intend on wearing my base layer and the jersey i will get, and i have a rain jacket if i get cold

kellysean wrote: »
    Lads,
    I'm trying to figure out what bike to use for the WAR racew in Sept. I used a racing bike in the April WAR race and also in Gealforce last year.

However, the WAR website indicated 1.5km will be off track. So I'm not sure weather to use racing bike and carry it over the off tracp section or to use a mountain bike for the race.

Would really appreciate to hear what others are planning on doing.

Thanks,
    Sean.

After doing all of the GF cycle on a racer with standard tyres without any problems ill be sticking with the racer for WAR.
    I have no idea about the offroad section in WAR but it cant be any worse than the last section in GF.
    The cycle in WAR seems to be much harder than GF too so the racers will give you a great advantage over the MTB's.

How did your run go? If my reading of my map was right its up the mountain down the other side then back?

I plan to run it on Saturday SJ.

I hopeded to run it last night but Carrawaystick took me longer than expected. I drove the course after to find Croagh and now know where to stop. There's a big pile of stones at the entrance and a clear path in. After 55k of the race this will be a killer. It will definitely sort out/finish off plenty!!

The cycling is way tougher than the other AR's i've done. The Ford up by the Shay Elliott is crazy. After being initially sceptical, i'm glad it's in now.

Have you done both runs? 21k is tough on the pins

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    If anyone i planning a recce on a sunday morning and wouldnt mind company could they let me know?

Advertisement