Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any such thing as a non-hairdresserish convertible?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Slig wrote: »
    The reason a convertible appeals to me is the openness of it as your driving (girlfriend wont let me get a motorbike)

:) Big big difference between the buzz from a bike and convertible, you can get a bike that'll out accelerate nearly any car for a fraction of the cost of most convertibles, also, it wont decepricate as badly. Bikes have far more "openness" than cars, you're really at one with the bike and road, and more exposed to the elements and danger!
    Hmm, you're talking about finding a convertible that is macho enough for you, yet you've let the other half tighten the leash on ya :D
    peasant wrote: »
    Somehow I can't help thinking that this whole thread would be better off in "Personal issues" :D

buy what you like / what you can afford ...who cares what others think

Or what your GF thinks :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Timmaay wrote: »
    :) Big big difference between the buzz from a bike and convertible, you can get a bike that'll out accelerate nearly any car for a fraction of the cost of most convertibles, also, it wont decepricate as badly. Bikes have far more "openness" than cars, you're really at one with the bike and road, and more exposed to the elements and danger!
    Hmm, you're talking about finding a convertible that is macho enough for you, yet you've let the other half tighten the leash on ya :D

Or what your GF thinks :D:p

I Know too many bikers that also became one with the scenery, and other road users to go down that route. you can be the best driver in the world and still get wiped out by old mrs. reilly in her micra pulling out from the shops. Always wanted a bike,even has a yamaha 125 when I was 16 (but couldnt afford the insurance) had great plans to buy a bike instead of a car but my parents pulled me away from that by offering to pay the insurance if I got a car. Since then I got used to having a roof over me head and after my first car accident I realised the advantages of a crumple zone (and other road users are idiots:D)
    On a serious note, I'd never have a bike in the same way I'd never be into bomb disposal, looks cool and is probably lots of fun but its all over quick except for the ones you leave behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

How about any of these, only problem would be getting your hands on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Slig wrote: »
    On a serious note, I'd never have a bike in the same way I'd never be into bomb disposal, looks cool and is probably lots of fun but its all over quick except for the ones you leave behind.
    Well put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

So to conclude, there is plenty of non hairdresserish convertibles, but the vast majority of these are out of reach of the average non hairdresser, hence the growing number of 307cc's etc.

other options that may be affordable: (but part of the attraction is the lack of affordibility in my option)

TorqueOmata3540.jpg
    S2000 as mentioned.
    older lotus?
    classic cars, loads of older cars that wouldn't be considered feminine e.g. 3 series E30 soft top, etc
    eg
    http://cars.rte.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?carID=857187&fuseaction=car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Mac 3

^^Probably not the best example of an e30 Cab, though there are some nice ones out there and these are soon to be classics.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/best-in-class/used/convertibles-4.html

(robbed from the channel 4 page)

I think they were all mentioned in the previous posts. Btw,the pic of the e30 is an M3 not the ordinary 3 series cab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TuneR

ramanujan wrote: »
    hence the growing number of 307cc's etc.

Horrible cars imo, has anyone ever seen one go over a speed bump? I saw one going about 5mph and the back came crashing down from the weight of the hard top. Id hate to try and drive one hard or as said above you'd end up as one with the scenery.

I agree with the OP, S2000. Also the Elise. I think the SL and 911 are more toward supercar than sports car.

Advertisement