Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any such thing as a non-hairdresserish convertible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

alpina wrote: »
    If you're really worried about what people think:confused::confused::confused:

Drive what you want to drive for goodness sake, if you need other people's opinions to get that feel good factor well, you've just bought the wrong car..

Firstly: The reason I started this thread was to get other peoples opinions on cars (and not just the usual VRT, tax and diesel price related threads:D)
    Secondly: I'm happy with what I drive, its a commercial so maybe in the future (when I dont have a wedding, house and countless car loans to pay for) I might get a second car for myself. I have no intention of buying a convertible at the minute or even in the near future but its nice to dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

if you need other people's opinions to get that feel good factor well, you've just bought the wrong car..

The whole point of a convertible is cruising around town so everyone sees you in it, it's all about other people's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

If you're really worried about what people think:confused::confused::confused:

Drive what you want to drive for goodness sake, if you need other people's opinions to get that feel good factor well, you've just bought the wrong car..

I'm all for independant thinking - I buy out of the whole German-car/interior-plastic myopia that seems to be the main pre-occupation of many boardies.

However...
    if you buy a convertible your gonna be
    a.) very exposed (at least with the top down!)
    b.) at least partly concerned about image...

If not exactly 'gay', the image of many convertibles is - at best - a bit...metrosexual:rolleyes:... That's not the type of image most guys want to project...

Having said that many of the convertibles mentioned above would not be girly IMO - S2000, SL, M3 etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Zube wrote: »
    The whole point of a convertible is cruising around town so everyone sees you in it, it's all about other people's opinions.
    Maybe in your world it is, but that doesn't mean everyone buys one for that purpose.

I don't have one now, but used to have an MX-5, and I only had that because I enjoyed driving an open topped car. What anyone else thought they could infer about my character purely by what car I drove around in was irrelevant to me.

Anyway, why would you care two hoots about the opinions of hundreds of people you a) don't even know, and b) probably will never see again in your entire life? I just don't get it, sorry. If you're that insecure maybe it's a psychologist you should be visiting, not a car dealer :)

The reason a convertible appeals to me is the openness of it as your driving (girlfriend wont let me get a motorbike)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

no its not - the whole point of a convertible is to drive around with the wind in you hair, in fact I would have the windows blacked out in mine to stop tools staring at me if I was not accused of being a drug dealer instead.

Zube mate - just coz you think you'd like every one to look at you doesn't mean everyone buys one for the same reason as you.

Jaysus we should all drive toyota carinas just incase anyone thinks I am trying to get above myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

RobAMerc wrote: »
    no its not - the whole point of a convertible is to drive around with the wind in you hair,

Fair enough, but I only ever see convertibles in two modes: driving from A to B with the top up (even on sunny days), or cruising below 30 mph with the top down, showing off the driver's designer shades, co-ordinated outfit and artfully dyed hair.

You like bugs in your teeth, good for you.

I think classic open cars like Morgans, Jag XKs or MG TDs are not gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Saw a fab tiptronic 993 cabrio for sale last Sat when I was collecting my car from the garage. GBP23k, iirc........classic insurance eligible, too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 david collins

Victor_M wrote: »

Merc SL's are nice too best of both worlds (newer ones anyway) stay away from the French CC's they are attrocious. I'd also stay away from SLK's and Z3/4's

Have you had previous experiences yourself with French CC's? If so, what ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Have you had previous experiences yourself with French CC's? If so, what ones?

I sat into a 206 CC, my mates sisters one, refused to let her take me around the block in it.

The umpa lumpa fake tanned middle aged oul wans that seem to make up the majority of 307CC and Megane CC driver do nothing for the cars image.

Take a good handling sports Coupe chop the roof off and you now have a highly compromised poor handling but good looking convertible.

Take the roof off a $hite handling, poorly built, unreliable car and what do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 david collins

I see. Cheers for the insight. :rolleyes:

I see. Cheers for the insight. :rolleyes:

Sorry if I offended, not intentional (must have touched a nerve to get your first 2 posts:o), but the thread is about non hair dresser cars and the french ones are the poster child for hair dressers convertibles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Ah - blanket statements!

PanToyota_web.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

rolls100ex-1.jpg

CarreraGT_sz_b_2.jpg

26924.jpg

and both of these
    header.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Something that can set its own paintwork on fire is def not for wimmin.

ad2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think a TT may have snuck into your last picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Slig wrote: »
    unfortunately thats the culture that we are in. A big thing I see everyday in my job is people wanting a new house that absolutely HAS to have a big entrance hallway with a stairs, even if it takes room off the living rooms. These Hallways are a waste of space and money and are only put in so that they impress visitors...
    Have you thought that maybe some people just like it? Perhaps they do it so they can enjoy their own home. Same goes for cars.

The OP should get what he wants, and he wants a masculine car. Who cares if it's to impress others - maybe that's what he wants to do. He didn't ask for anyone to judge him, he just doesn't want to drive a girl car.
    I wouldn't wear a girls pair of jeans even if they looked great, why would I drive a girly car?
    Victor_M wrote: »
    ...A4's are (IMO) driven by women only...
    Merc SL's are nice too best of both worlds (newer ones anyway) stay away from the French CC's they are attrocious. I'd also stay away from SLK's and Z3/4's
    I was thinking about suggesting an A4 Cabriolet, but I do see a lot of girls in them...I still think they are cool for guys though. Besides that, the SLs are nice, but expensive. I agree with Victor_M in that the cheaper version - the SLK - is more girly, but the Chrysler Crossfire is less girly than the SLK, less expensive, AND is the same car. By same car, I mean that it's built by Merc in the same factory on the same line and it just has different (more masculine) body styling. I have heard it's going to stop being made, but it is still available now...or you can just get a used one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Mike2006 wrote: »
    I am surprised that nobody has yet suggested the MX-5.

Are you serious?

That's the girliest car going..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Honda S2000.

yummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

An AC/Shelby Cobra is about as manly as they get.

Tad bit expensive though, unless you go for a replica.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Saleen S281 Supercharged Mustang:

s281scext_450---01.jpg

AC Cobra, absolute classic,
    they kinda look like one of those old mgs but it spends every evening in the gym and eats steroids for breakfast:D

JHMEG wrote: »
    Something that can set its own paintwork on fire is def not for wimmin.

ad2.jpg

What is that? Very nice, looks a bit like a viper.

What about a 350Z, not nearly a nice looking and the Coupe but bulges in all the right places for a bloke to look good in it.

Chrysler cross fire is IMO one of the ugliest pieces of machinery on the road. Given the Euro and Jap options out there I don't think it's in the running. Even though it's an old SLK (or is it an old CLK?) in a different suit, I don't think it betters it's rivals in any area other than rarity, and there's a good reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Its a corvette. Nice car tho.

Ferris wrote: »
    Its a corvette. Nice car tho.

Actually thought it was a viper aswell. looks good though, do they come in RHD (maybe australian market?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Actually I'm wrong it is a viper...oops.

Side exit exhausts are possibly the most manly thing ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I think the only reason that the Honda S2000 is being called a "man's convertible" is because most people here know its performance. In the looks department, it doesn't seem all that different from the cars being called "girly cars"

http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/13875/mazda_mx-5-L.jpg

honda_s2000.jpg

eoin_s wrote: »
    I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I think the only reason that the Honda S2000 is being called a "man's convertible" is because most people here know its performance. In the looks department, it doesn't seem all that different from the cars being called "girly cars"

mazda_mx-5-L.jpg

honda_s2000.jpg

Actually your probably right. That means its more a midlife crisis car than a hairdressers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

have to agree, they do look a bit girly to me but its the power and performance that gives it a manly feel, you can add subtle touches to make it look more manly if you wish too

974859_20080314040340_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Somehow I can't help thinking that this whole thread would be better off in "Personal issues" :D

buy what you like / what you can afford ...who cares what others think

Advertisement