Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Make any difference when to apply for vrt?

i know its within 30 days but i think i read somewhere in this chat that best to do at start of month to save on months tax?

Or was it that it starts from the start of the import date into country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Make any difference when to apply for vrt?

i know its within 30 days but i think i read somewhere in this chat that best to do at start of month to save on months tax?

Or was it that it starts from the start of the import date into country?

you have to apply within 7 days of import and complete the process within 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭deezell

....... Im also considering using Revolut on my upcoming trip so curious about using it. Im on the premium Revolut and am wondering about transferring €20k onto from AIB. Will I have to do it in a couple of transactions? Also, is it just a matter of adding a new beneficiary to the app with BIC and IBAN and then completing a bank transfer? Are there any max limits on the amount you can transfer in one ......
    Just brought over a Mazda 6 Sport Nav Fully loaded. One payment with Revolut. Not Sepa or Swift, simple local transfer as yours and dealers accounts are UK. Limit is huge, £75K and I think this has gone up. When you transfer your € at home to Revolut they may email to verify the source of funds, they say 'account limited' until they do, they requested bank statement and payslip scans, then before I had a chance to organise those they mailed to say I was verified!
    Live agent on help confirmed the limits, even saying I could just pay by debit card in a single transaction. That would be instant.
    Car dealer declined the card route, due he said to fees ( I don't think he understood I had a UK debit card with a £ account, but maybe they are hit for a percentage, which is criminal alright). The transfer was a doddle, just his account no. and sort code, no IBAN or BIC or code reader gadget or limit. Transfer confirmed in 10+ minutes by email. I don't have premium card but transfer was flagged as Turbo, though there was no request to do this and no fee charged. I had already moved the € to the £ account ( at .8995), so It's just a local UK sterling transfer. Last two car purchases were stressful, having to have people at the other end of a phone at AIB to give the go ahead, then the wait. This is how it should be done. Best rate, minimum typeing and almost instant. Btw, is it a big deal to take the locally untaxed car to the Ferry? Never even though of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Trying to buy a fiesta ecoboost from northern ireland. My budget is 10k. I have read the OP. AM i right in thinking the only charges for the car would be VRT? I calculated it on revenue.ie and it came out at 1600 euro.

So that woukd put my budget for the car at 8400 euro or 7500 pounds. Am i missing any charges other than the obvious trip to northern ireland?

Also I saw in the OP a mention of hirining someone to inspect the car before you travel up. Has anyone got this done and how much did it set you back? Also, anyone know how I go about finising someone to do such an inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭deezell

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Trying to buy a fiesta ecoboost from northern ireland. My budget is 10k. I have read the OP. AM i right in thinking the only charges for the car would be VRT? I calculated it on revenue.ie and it came out at 1600 euro.

So that woukd put my budget for the car at 8400 euro or 7500 pounds. Am i missing any charges other than the obvious trip to northern ireland?

Also I saw in the OP a mention of hirining someone to inspect the car before you travel up. Has anyone got this done and how much did it set you back? Also, anyone know how I go about finising someone to do such an inspection?
    The ecoboost 1L 3 cylinder engine is prone to blowing up, Ford have offered to replace for anyone affected, so just make sure anything you bring from the north is covered down here, as you'll get 2016 at most for your budget, so check if there's manufactured warranty left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I just brought a car over from the UK, I got the RAC to do an inspection. Not sure if they cover NI but if they do I highly recommend. I got a comprehensive report that cost something like £215 which covered a really big range of things.

deezell wrote: »
    The ecoboost 1L 3 cylinder engine is prone to blowing up, Ford have offered to replace for anyone affected, so just make sure anything you bring from the north is covered down here, as you'll get 2016 at most for your budget, so check if there's manufactured warranty left.

For the 1L Fiesta it seems that issue is only present in up to the 2013 model as far as reported by mainstream media anyway.

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    I just brought a car over from the UK, I got the RAC to do an inspection. Not sure if they cover NI but if they do I highly recommend. I got a comprehensive report that cost something like £215 which covered a really big range of things.

Cheers thanks. And was the VRT the only charge other than paying for the car itself or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The VRT website is only a guide so be prepared it could be slightly lower or higher.

One other thing I am confused about is paying for the car.

My plan would be to go up north on a Saturday morning and to take the car home same day.

Is this possible? Are there any ways to transfer money so the dealer would have it within a few hours?

There is a lot of information and things to know so really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Read back a few pages of this thread, payment methods are mentioned regularly.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Read back a few pages of this thread, payment methods are mentioned regularly.

I did. Tried to search the thread too but couldn't really find the info I was looking for.

Was hoping someone who paid for a car same day would maybe share there experience. How they did it etc.

I'll try have another look in the meantime.

Cheers thanks. And was the VRT the only charge other than paying for the car itself or am I missing something?

I haven’t paid VRT yet (have my appointment on Tuesday) but yeah, the price of the car itself, the cost of bringing it back and the VRT are the only things I will have paid for.

Oh and the inspection that I mentioned as well.

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

One other thing I am confused about is paying for the car.

My plan would be to go up north on a Saturday morning and to take the car home same day.

Is this possible? Are there any ways to transfer money so the dealer would have it within a few hours?

There is a lot of information and things to know so really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me.
    Trying to make the payment on a Saturday could be problematic.

Are you buying from a reputable major dealer? If so, I'd probably pay in advance.

On your other question about getting RAC inspections etc, personally if I was buying from a major dealer I wouldn't bother. If I was buying from the likes of Wee Jimmy's Second Hand Car Sales or some private sale I'd definitely get one.

Also don't forget about UK motor tax. Up to you whether you risk driving without it, but some dealers will insist on you taxing it before driving away I believe. You can claim it back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - I have been looking at posts here and am finally ready to take the plunge (as my old car broke the timing belt). I need to take a loan (looking at Credit Union). Was speaking to them today and they said they can pay directly to a UK dealer (not a private seller) and that will entitle me to a slightly lower 'Auto' loan interest rate as against a personal loan. Anyone done this through a CU before? Also - I don't have a Revolut card/account - do you think that it is advisable to get one for this transaction? is that the best way?
    thanks

deezell wrote: »
    Just brought over a Mazda 6 Sport Nav Fully loaded.

Hi Deezell - I was looking at Mazda6's as well, the estate ones, they do look good. Did you get it checked first before you bought? Also will you be able to tell me the dealer you bought from?

Thanks

On the VRTVPD2 form when it asks the amount of VAT paid for the car, does that have to be filled in? The receipt I was given from the dealer doesn’t have that listed on it

Looking at a car - checked it on www.check-mot.service.gov.uk.
    It says that there is a recall on it, have asked the dealer if they have had the recall fulfilled
    MoT report - there are 3 advisories on the last MoT (April 2018 - which has expired):
    Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
    Nearside Rear Road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim (4.2.A.1a)
    Low brake pad warning on dash
    Dealer has said that they will get a fresh MoT done before sale. Do I need to get a separate check done even after the MoT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Debub wrote: »
    Looking at a car - checked it on www.check-mot.service.gov.uk.
    It says that there is a recall on it, have asked the dealer if they have had the recall fulfilled
    MoT report - there are 3 advisories on the last MoT (April 2018 - which has expired):
    Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
    Nearside Rear Road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim (4.2.A.1a)
    Low brake pad warning on dash
    Dealer has said that they will get a fresh MoT done before sale. Do I need to get a separate check done even after the MoT?

Is the dealer in the UK?,Most UK dealers do the MOT in their own garages

awec wrote: »
    Trying to make the payment on a Saturday could be problematic.

Are you buying from a reputable major dealer? If so, I'd probably pay in advance.

On your other question about getting RAC inspections etc, personally if I was buying from a major dealer I wouldn't bother. If I was buying from the likes of Wee Jimmy's Second Hand Car Sales or some private sale I'd definitely get one.

Also don't forget about UK motor tax. Up to you whether you risk driving without it, but some dealers will insist on you taxing it before driving away I believe. You can claim it back later.

Thanks for the advice.

About the motor tax, I assume this is if the car isn't already taxxed? If it isn't how do I tax it? Can it be done online on the day? Cab you drive off straight after getting it?

It's fom TrustFord so I assume they are reputable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Lads, question - if you import a car from the UK ( in this case a VW transporter 2010, and you establish that it was originally an Irish vehicle, are you liable for VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

dodzy wrote: »
    Lads, question - if you import a car from the UK ( in this case a VW transporter 2010, and you establish that it was originally an Irish vehicle, are you liable for VRT?

Yes. Whoever exported it probably claimed a vrt rebate

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yes. Whoever exported it probably claimed a vrt rebate
    If VRT was not refunded on export, it will *not* be charged on re-importation.

Not your ornery onager

Thanks for the advice.

About the motor tax, I assume this is if the car isn't already taxxed? If it isn't how do I tax it? Can it be done online on the day? Cab you drive off straight after getting it?

It's fom TrustFord so I assume they are reputable?

the vehicle will not be taxed. Nowadays in the UK, a new owner has to tax it themselves and any previous tax is refunded to the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Esel wrote: »
    If VRT was not refunded on export, it will *not* be charged on re-importation.

Cheers lads for the quick replies. So....will this be an automatic thing ? There would be no way the new owner could verify if the original owner was refunded. Is he relying on data entry from many moons ago being accurate ?

Isambard wrote: »
    the vehicle will not be taxed. Nowadays in the UK, a new owner has to tax it themselves and any previous tax is refunded to the seller.

How can i get UK tax without a uk address though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

I wouldn't bother, just drive it home. Get insurance sorted before you drive.

ask the dealer to do it

Isambard wrote: »
    ask the dealer to do it

Cheers do you know if the tax price is similar to here? Say 200 for a fiesta.

Also how do you apply to get your money back once home.

• Advertisement

You use the “new keeper” slip that comes on the v5c. You don’t need an address as they don’t use physical tax disks like we do here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement