Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why did God fail at converting the world

• 19-02-2008 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

He's God, all powerfull, he sent his only begotten son Jesus Christ to convert us to his ways. Well he's managed 33% of the worlds population which I'll admit is pretty good but considering who the players are I'd consider that failure, why do you think God has failed at converting the world, I don't see major changes in religious populations round the corner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

MooseJam wrote: »
    He's God, all powerfull, he sent his only begotten son Jesus Christ to convert us to his ways. Well he's managed 33% of the worlds population which I'll admit is pretty good but considering who the players are I'd consider that failure, why do you think God has failed at converting the world, I don't see major changes in religious populations round the corner.

Where does it say that He tried to convert the world? In Christianity at least the role of the Church is not to convert the world, rather to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. Whether it is accepted by the world at large is irrelevant. The parable of the man who bought the field in order to get the treasure out of the field teaches the truth that just because Jesus died for the world doesn't mean He wants everyone in it. He doesn't. Nay rather only those whom He has chosen out of the world. "If you were of the world the world would love its own, but ye are not of the world, for I have chosen ye out of the world, therefore the world hates you." And the parable of the sower makes it very clear that not everybody will be saved. So no you are wrong, God did not fail at converting the world because He never tried to in the first place. Again the erroneous traditional view of God always seeps through and under-girds the ignorance in posts against Him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

heh my first bible quote

Matthew 28:19
    19(A) Go therefore and(B) make disciples of(C) all nations,(D) baptizing them(E) in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Mark 13:10
    10And the gospel must first be proclaimed(A) to all nations.

Mark 16:15
    15And he said to them, (A) "Go into all the world and(B) proclaim the gospel to(C) the whole creation

why would you want to proclaim the bible but not convert people, surely the point of proclaiming is to convert the masses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Free will.

God will not drag you screaming and kicking into heaven against your will (and no doubt you would complain loudly if He did).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

In order to be enlightened about God and Christ, you must disregard religion IMO, religion is an obsticle. Religion is man, and Mans ways are not always Gods ways. As you will see by your own biblical quotes, Jesus is saying 'proclaim' the good news to all nations. Remember, God was knowm mainly by only the Jews to this point. Jesus coming opened the gates for all men. So the disciples proclaimed the good news to the Romans, Greeks etc. I suppose 'convert' is a bit of a dirty word. The purpose of proclaiming the good news, is that all men can hear it. They will hopefully be turned by it and follow Christ, but they can decide not to. When Christ returns as the sower, he will sift the wheat and the weeds.

• Advertisement

The parable of the man who bought the field in order to get the treasure out of the field teaches the truth that just because Jesus died for the world doesn't mean He wants everyone in it. He doesn't. Nay rather only those whom He has chosen out of the world.

Whats this all about, I thought God Loves everybody, even sinners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

MooseJam wrote: »
    Whats this all about, I thought God Loves everybody, even sinners

Indeed He does. And He doesn't want anyone to go to Hell. He actually wants everyone to accept the Gospel and to go to Heaven.
    But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:8-9)

From this it logically follows that God's will does not always come to pass. The notion that everything that happens is God's will is more of an Islamic concept than a Christian one. Free will means we can choose the opposite of God's will.

Advertisement