Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Alice1

I only asked...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

That was your first mistake Alice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I call shenanigans on the definition of cloak! After extensive research (5 minutes of googling) the only dodgy meaning I could find was in Urban Dictionary. UD does not count as it can find a dodgy synonym for almost every word in daily use.

*cranks up oratory* We must stand up for language and refuse this makey-up dodgyness, or what will happen to the poetry of expression in our lives. And so on and so forth. :eek: :o:( :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

looksee wrote: »
    We must stand up for language and refuse this makey-up dodgyness, or what will happen to the poetry of expression in our lives.

Loike I toddaly agree with this?
    I was loike what's the problem? and they were loike it's naughty? and I was loike but why? Confused much.

We must loike preserve err use of language. What would loike happen if we let err standards loike todally slip loike?

Now, I was going to go to my leaba but Zontar has just landed on Earth (or Urth, as those movie stars call it) and you know you can't turn your back on them Venusians. But there's no need for youse to stay up. Off you go to sleep and don't worry about me. I'll be alright and I won't let Zontar take control of yiz.

Did I ever tell yiz about the time, as a kid, I went to see a dinosaur fillim and I ran home, in the dark, terrified and strung a load of milk bottle tops across the bottom of the stairs so that I'd hear a dinosaur if he started coming up the zzzzzzzzzzz......zzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Sorry you are feeling so icky Brens. If the weather is like this, I may not venture out at all at all. What a horrible start to May. I remember that fillum 'Camelot' when Lancelot arrived and bumped into King Arfur. And Arfur brought Lance to meet the missus, Guinevere, and there she was in the 'lusty month of May' dancin' and singin' and frolickin' amongst the daisies with the other knights of the roundy table, the sky was bloo, and sun was shinin' and the burds were tweetin' and all was.....welll, not like today anyway! Hope you will soon be feeling a bit better Brens.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I remember that fillum 'Camelot' when Lancelot arrived and bumped into King Arfur. And Arfur brought Lance to meet the missus, Guinevere, and there she was in the 'lusty month of May' dancin' and singin' and frolickin' amongst the daisies with the other knights of the roundy table, the sky was bloo, and sun was shinin' and the burds were tweetin' and all was.....

What? No Venusians? No dinosaurs? No huge, schpring schprong cars going off cliffs and exploding three times? Did they spontaneously burst into song while accompanied by invisible orchestras full of instruments which hadn't been invented yet? Did they all have olden day costumes but up-to-date hairdos and make-up? You must have been fierce disappointed with that fillim!

Many thanks for the good wishes. I'm coming out of the chemo-bombing now but one nasty side-effect has become a problem over the past month, that is, since UV made its first real appearance of 2015.

http://www.skerrieslifeboat.ie/

There isn't much that hasn't been said a thousand times before about the RNLI lifeboat organisation - lives saved; volunteer crews risking their own lives; 24/7/365; funded only by donations, etc. but, if any of yiz see a collection box, give whatever you can because it all helps.

Well, Camelot was made when fillums were a bit quieter. Yes, they all wore the right gear for the time, but every time they opened their gobs to sing there was this philharmonic orchestra nearby but out of sight playing in the background! How'd that happen I wondered? No I didn't of course, I knew, they were hired by Sir g'wan g'wan g'wan, who was usually known only by one g'wan, pronounced Gawain. I loved that fillum.

I didn't get to go to NCD today after all. An 'inconvenience' occurred which prevented me. I will of course send a donation instead.

The lifeboats and the Order of Malta ambulance appeals are the ones that always get a donation from me, the rest of them take their chance on my humour on the day!

I will of course send a donation instead.
    looksee wrote: »
    The lifeboats and the Order of Malta ambulance appeals are the ones that always get a donation from me

Good to hear!

But isn't it sad that the names of legitimate charities are being used by chancers to defraud the public? Just a couple of weeks ago, while baby-sitting in Co. Meath, I answered the door to two "lads" selling cupcakes for the Darkness into Light campaign. No ID, their manner was a little gruff but the patter was flawless, and, being a soft touch, I went indoors for some change. While there, my son asked whether these lads were back, "selling tarmac again!" Apparently, they turn up regularly with a new story each time.

We didn't buy cupcakes but several family members are taking part in an event to raise money for Darkness into Light. I think suicide is a far bigger problem in Ireland than we realise so Darkness into Light is on my list too.

What a great institution is our NCT service! A national treasure, operated by geniuses who know everything about cars. You know, I've actually heard grumbles and complaints about the NCT but not from me. NoSiree!

Why only today, I just happened to be in an NCT centre, watching telly, as you do, when the nice man handed me an NCT cert and, in a beautiful Polish accent, told me that my car was "a very nice old lady". Then he went on to praise, of all things, the new bolts in the anti-roll bar - "the nicest bolts I heff ever seen", he said. "I vish everybody had bolts like zem."

"Aww, shucks," I said, not wishing to create a wave of jealousy in the Waiting Area. "They're just M8x30s with a female Torx head. Nutt'n special." "No no", he replied. "Zeeze are not just beautiful bolts" he said, as he turned to the other people watching telly - "zay are beautifully fitted bolts. Did you have zem professionally fitted?" "Well......no.........", to which he gasped "You mean you fitted zem.....yourself?" I could feel waves of admiration from all present but you know me - a genius of course, but modest.

As I drove the Big Blue Brick away, I could see a dozen or so noses pressed to the windows of the Waiting Area, hungrily drinking in the sight of my car, with its brand new NCT cert in the window screen. Wouldn't be surprised if social media crashed very soon after. Oh well, ho hum......

• Advertisement

How sweet of him to say how beautiful your car is Brens. Isn't it nice to get a compliment now and then. (Big 'ead! :rolleyes:)

How sweet of him to say how beautiful your car is Brens. Isn't it nice to get a compliment now and then. (Big 'ead! :rolleyes:)

Not as beautiful as you JB :o

Wanders off all blushy and embarrassed

Rubecula wrote: »
    Not as beautiful as you JB :o

Wanders off all blushy and embarrassed

Oh, you! :rolleyes: :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Good thing I installed a schmaltz trough under my monitor. Oh oh, it's full.
    While I empty it, could youse pair get a room?

I will remind all that I am a married lady for many a decade and himself peruses these forums/fora now and again. I will be divorced because of Rubecula and his flightiness! :eek:

I will remind all that I am a married lady for many a decade and himself peruses these forums/fora now and again. I will be divorced because of Rubecula and his flightiness! :eek:

OK. Schmaltz trough has been emptied and replaced.

Does "himself" know how lucky he is?

Oh oh, it's filling up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

oooh that's a lovely cardigan you have on

am I doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Topsy turvy.
    I've been describing my life lately as topsy turvy and I've just come to realise that while I understand what topsy turvy implies I have no idea what it actually means. Does anyone know the origins of the phrase?

Another thing, can two words actually BE a phrase?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

not sure

"Turvey" is well represented in NCD, especially around Donabate, in place-names and surnames. During our first day in secondary skewell, we discovered that one of the strange lads, with luminescent red hair, was called Turvey. It didn't matter what his first names were - he automatically became "Coppertops Turvey", which, later that day, was shortened to "Topsy".

As he used to spend a lot of time upside down in the loos, "topsy turvy" came to mean "upside down" and so, once again, Skerries, the centre of the Cosmos, gave unto humanity yet another phrase to join with Dickey Dickey Dout, Queenee I O, Red Rover, etc., etc.

Then, in a generous attempt to reduce the inferiority that other towns would feel in the presence of Skerries, we dusted over the trail to the origin of topsy turvy. Good thing I'm here now, in sound mind and body!

In the 1980's, the English tried to capture credit when they introduced Kevin Turvey to the nation but it was too late. "Kevin" just didn't have the same magic as "topsy" and never really caught on.

You're welcome.

• Advertisement

top is topsy
    bottom or base is turvy

I think.......

BrensBenz wrote: »
    ....Does "himself" know how lucky he is?

:D:D:D:D
    BBDBB wrote: »
    oooh that's a lovely cardigan you have on

am I doing it right?

:D:D:D:D
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Topsy turvy.
    I've been describing my life lately as topsy turvy and I've just come to realise that while I understand what topsy turvy implies I have no idea what it actually means. Does anyone know the origins of the phrase?

Another thing, can two words actually BE a phrase?

The first time I ever came across this term topsy turvy was in the children's book 'Rupert'. Remember the bear with the red gansy and the yellow checked trousers? No matter the weather he also always wore a matching yellow checked scarf. I loved the artwork in particular, it always seemed to me so cosy, a bit like the Secret Seven running home in time for tea and cake and lashings of ginger beer. But the most intriguing part of the book was the names of his pals. Mr. Google reminded me they were Bill Badger, Edward Trunk, Pong Ping, Algy Pug, Podgy Pig, Bingo, Freddy and Ferdy, Ming, and also...............WISE OLD GOAT!! So that's where he got his username!

This was niggling at me so l looked it up...[C16: probably from tops, plural of top + obsolete tervy to turn upside down; perhaps related to Old English tearflian to roll over]

I wondered who would go that far to find out! :D Shoulda known.

I wondered who would go that far to find out! :D Shoulda known.

Cheek! :D Look what I am mod of, it was almost compulsory!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Skerries to Turvey ( aka Turvy) Avenue

Snr Google suggests the following route :

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Skerries/Turvey+Ave,+Donabate,+Co.+Dublin/@53.5329753,-6.2253911,12z/am=t/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x486718989a1cd8d1:0xa00c7a997317b80!2m2!1d-6.1078779!2d53.5805519!1m5!1m1!1s0x486719f790fa61e3:0x459bcae9a3094666!2m2!1d-6.1747357!2d53.4909271!5i1

Driving directions:

via R13220 min
    16.4 km
    18 min without traffic · Show traffic

Skerries
    Co. Dublin
    Follow R127
    6 min (4.9 km)
    Turn right
    Take R132 to Turvey Ave
    9 min (7.8 km)
    Drive to Turvey Ave
    2 min (1.4 km)
    Turvey Ave
    Donabate, Co. Dublin
    These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather, or other events may cause conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.

HTH

Top of the morning to you all

Olddog

0lddog wrote: »
    Skerries to Turvey ( aka Turvy) Avenue

Snr Google suggests the following route :

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Skerries/Turvey+Ave,+Donabate,+Co.+Dublin/@53.5329753,-6.2253911,12z/am=t/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x486718989a1cd8d1:0xa00c7a997317b80!2m2!1d-6.1078779!2d53.5805519!1m5!1m1!1s0x486719f790fa61e3:0x459bcae9a3094666!2m2!1d-6.1747357!2d53.4909271!5i1

Driving directions:

via R13220 min
    16.4 km
    18 min without traffic · Show traffic

Skerries
    Co. Dublin
    Follow R127
    6 min (4.9 km)
    Turn right
    Take R132 to Turvey Ave
    9 min (7.8 km)
    Drive to Turvey Ave
    2 min (1.4 km)
    Turvey Ave
    Donabate, Co. Dublin

Olddog

Well, Snr. Google got it wrong! Here's the proper route to Turvey Avenue from Skerries, the Centre of the Cosmos.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Skerries/Turvey+Ave,+Donabate,+Co.+Dublin/@53.5380502,-6.1330373,12z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x486718989a1cd8d1:0xa00c7a997317b80!2m2!1d-6.1078779!2d53.5805519!3m4!1m2!1d-6.1608724!2d53.5373325!3s0x4867184cfc63c2a1:0x3b6d1d53c8b6d540!1m5!1m1!1s0x486719f790fa61e3:0x459bcae9a3094666!2m2!1d-6.1747357!2d53.4909271!3e0

It is, or at least, in the old days, was a very long, straight, picturesque, tree-lined avenue with a few large, rather grand houses and shiny horses in huge gardens. Haven't been there for donkeys' years but I hope it hasn't changed too much, i.e. I hope it hasn't been topsied.

Why were they keeping horses in their gardens?

Yes, that is indeed a very straight road. Not great for road-bowling really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Alice1

I don't know how to link to another thread. However, there is a thread in Consumer Issues that might be of interest to we "more mature" people. It is regarding a company called yourtel.
    If you get a call from this company, please be very wary as they are not all they might appear to be.
    Google also has some interesting info and RTE Consumer Show did an interesting article on them this evening at 8.30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement