Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Want to buy a wetsuit - suggestions please?

• 26-05-2010 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking to buy my first wetsuit for things like surfing and kayaking. I'm a complete novice at all the above so I don't want to spend huge amounts of money on one until I get more into it. Can anyone suggest good shops or website where you can get good, reasonably priced wetsuits?

Thanks,

Shine7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Do you plan on surfing through the winter or just the summer months?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

CH Marine was where I got my first 3mm suit - it's just off the Kinsale road roundabout, near the Travellodge. They do non-brand name suits that stand up to the elements well, particularly if you're just starting out and don't want to drop a wad of cash on something Ripcurl/O'Neill's/Bodyglove.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

keep an eye out in the Lidl / Aldi weekly mag. They do them from time to time at a good price. If its just for messing about, nothing too serious, then you cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

SeaFields wrote: »
    keep an eye out in the Lidl / Aldi weekly mag. They do them from time to time at a good price. If its just for messing about, nothing too serious, then you cant go wrong.

They still have them in Lidl in Fermoy so maybe still some nationwide from their brochure a couple of weeks ago...99 euro i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

BrianJD wrote: »
    ...99 euro i think.

I could have sworn they were cheaper than that...closer to €50 but it was awhile back that the girlfriend bought hers. :confused:

Other option OP is to buy it online. Do a bit of research on amazon and you should pick up a good offer from a UK supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

SeaFields wrote: »
    I could have sworn they were cheaper than that...closer to €50 but it was awhile back that the girlfriend bought hers. :confused:

50 spoons was for the shorty on it's own I think. 99 was for the men's 2 piece (shorty + long)...at least that was the case last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Go to a surf shop and buy a 5mm suit. You'll only be comfortable in a 3mm for a few months of the year, and the Lidl suits have already been slated on the surf forum.

I know you're only just getting into it, but skimping on a wetsuit is a false economy. The cheapest 5mm suits from a surf shop will be more expensive than whatever Lidl has to offer, but will be much better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

cornbb wrote: »
    Go to a surf shop and buy a 5mm suit. You'll only be comfortable in a 3mm for a few months of the year, and the Lidl suits have already been slated on the surf forum.

I know you're only just getting into it, but skimping on a wetsuit is a false economy. The cheapest 5mm suits from a surf shop will be more expensive than whatever Lidl has to offer, but will be much better value for money.

I half agree with you cornbb, to even attempt surfing after November through to at least February warrants the 5mm...plus the boots, the balaclava, the gloves. These additional bits of kit could collectively cost anywhere between 50 and 100 euro on top of the price of a 5mm (starting around 175/200 euros? Could be wrong here). Also, the 5mm is quite restrictive to movement and tires you out a lot quicker (so I've found at least). I don't know if it's such a good investment for someone starting out, unless the op specifically wants to surf/kayak in November, December, January.

I got a good 3mm to start off, was perfect for Spring/Autumn (where the nicest most reliable swells are), it was a while before I invested in the 5mm to be able to brave the waters for Winter/Spring.

Another note - beware buying online, measurements and sizing are critical, I'd recommend trying it on in person - too loose and you might get the unpleasant flush of cold water into your body as the seal around your neck breaks when you wipe out on a wave. Too tight, well, struggling out of a wetsuit when your changing afterwards ain't the best, I've fallen over a few times (burned the retinas off a few passersby)

Advertisement