Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water supply and conservation in the city

• 10-03-2010 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

The recent cold spell is having a major impact on water supplies across the State and in particular in the Dublin Region. Dwindling reservoir supplies and burst pipes have led to a disruption in supply.

Due to projected population growth a new water source supply will be required for Dublin in the medium- to long-term (post 2016).

How can we change the behaviour of city householders towards their use of water? The Draft Dublin City Development Plan recognises the need to ensure efficient use of drinking water resources with the emphasis on conservation. The following objectives are set out in the Plan:

- to promote best practice in all aspects of water supply including planning, supply, treatment, storage, transmission, distribution and conservation
    - to promote the introduction of efficient water saving fixture and fittings in all developments in compliance with the water bye-laws.
    - to promote a reduction in water demand through a range of conservation measures including rainwater harvesting
    - to co-ordinate with the other planning authorities in the Greater Dublin Region regarding the supply of drinking water
    - to protect and safeguard the integrity of water supply facilities, installations and pipes
    - to facilitate the identification and securing of service corridors for water supply
    - to seek to initiate pilot projects encouraging homeowners to install rainwater recovery systems where feasible in conjunction with local communities

What do you think of the above objectives? Will they help to achieve a reduction in water consumption and encourage greater awareness of water conservation? What else would you add to this list?

Have your say on these boards or make a written submission directly to Dublin City Council using the online submission form here.

Dublin City Council's 'Draft Development Plan, 2011-2017' is currently open for public consultation. The plan explains City Council strategy on everything from allotments and accommodation for artists to new economic corridors, new neighbourhoods, green spaces and low rise buildings.

We’re encouraging Dubliners to look at the Draft Plan, discuss any issues on these boards and make a comment directly to Dublin City Council via the online submission form.

You can find out more at www.dublincitydevelopmentplan.ie, where there are videos, text summaries and an interactive map of Dublin in 2017. All feedback will be reviewed before the plan is adopted by the City Council at the end of the year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Charging for water in the preposed way will not help. It will encourage a culture of i pay for it so i will use what I want... Everyone should be given an allowence and charged for over using the allowence. Perhaps even charging more for over use above certain levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Charging for water in the preposed way will not help. It will encourage a culture of i pay for it so i will use what I want... Everyone should be given an allowence and charged for over using the allowence. Perhaps even charging more for over use above certain levels.

Yes, I agree. People should get a basic allowance, and pay to exceed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. People should get a basic allowance, and pay to exceed it.

This is not an old concept it was preposed with the bins but it was not entertained. So I dont imagine it will be considered. But its my feelings.

The way I see it this can apply to people across the board. Even people on welfare and if they are above the allowence they pay themselves not the state. Think of the money the govt will save and then we are being fair to the welfare population

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Maybe go back and look at all the ludicrous planning decisions that were granted during the boom years and any planning officials that were responsible for some very dubious decisions should be fired for complete professional incompetence.
    The money saved form this proposal could be redirected to fixing the leaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DCC Planning Secretariat

The closing date for receipt of submissions on the Draft Development Plan was last Friday, March 12th. We’d like to thank everyone who got involved in the discussion and especially those who posted replies or made submissions about the plan.

The next step is the preparation of a report on the submissions/observations received. This will be submitted to members of the City Council who will consider it until mid-August 2010. Any material amendments agreed to the Draft Plan will then be put on public display for four weeks. It is envisaged that this display will take place during September.

We’ll post notification of the dates closer to the time. In the meantime, keep an eye on www.dublincitydevelopmentplan.ie and www.dublincity.ie for updates on what’s happening.

Regards,
    The Development Plan Team

• Advertisement
Advertisement