Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

I'm glad I've re-found this page....I'm having a really crap time at the minute & it feels like it's never going to end, to the point that I'm falling back into a deep depression. No amount of meds or counselling seems to be helping lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

candy19 wrote: »
    I'm glad I've re-found this page....I'm having a really crap time at the minute & it feels like it's never going to end, to the point that I'm falling back into a deep depression. No amount of meds or counselling seems to be helping lately

You'll get through it Candy - keep the faith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

id murder a drink(bottle of wine thinking bad thoughts. almost out of cigs hate night times

Stay strong Ash xx

Having bad thoughts myself. Can feel another panic attack brewing. Have meds I could take but they'd render me useless tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Wave of sadness just crashed over me. I just have to go with it until it passes. :(

• Advertisement

Hersheys wrote: »
    Stay strong Ash xx

Having bad thoughts myself. Can feel another panic attack brewing. Have meds I could take but they'd render me useless tomorrow.

trying to you too Hersheys x
    very hard though just took something to try calm me down but tis gonna be another long night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Hope your ok Ash :) I'l give you a smoke if you like ;)

Christ. Just had the worst night terror in a long time. It was truly awful, still shaking from it :( everytime I close my eyes I just get flashbacks. Not helping my panic state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Horrible feeling this morning. Had a follow up with the doctor after 2 weeks on cipramil. She's prescribing more but is getting blood tests done too. She said it was normal to do that for people with low mood but I immediately went pale, got cold sweats and felt like I was going to faint. It was awful, took me a good 15 mins to calm down then was depressed as I left, feeling like my life was over as they'd find something in the bloods even though she said more than once it was routine to do it.

Awful feeling

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Feeling rather empty today - strange, at least not as agitated as i have been though still having intense dreams and such..

• Advertisement

G-Money wrote: »
    Horrible feeling this morning. Had a follow up with the doctor after 2 weeks on cipramil. She's prescribing more but is getting blood tests done too. She said it was normal to do that for people with low mood but I immediately went pale, got cold sweats and felt like I was going to faint. It was awful, took me a good 15 mins to calm down then was depressed as I left, feeling like my life was over as they'd find something in the bloods even though she said more than once it was routine to do it.

Awful feeling
    Try not to worry yourself - the anxiety at the doctor could have been brought on by anxiety about the needle, I often faint when getting blood taken ;)

Feeling rather empty today - strange, at least not as agitated as i have been though still having intense dreams and such..
    Intense dreams suck - have you spoken to your doctor/counsellor about them?

slept from 6this morning till 10. my body feels like giving up. and to join in my colitis is acting up. closed the blinds and curtains no company for anyone today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Day 5 on Valdoxan. After a couple of days my mind went into a kind of semi-paralysis, very weird, slightly scary sensation, but i suppose the feeling that the meds were doing something was kinda re-assuring. Last couple of days that feeling has gradually eased off and the old feelings of anxiety/onset of panic are back. I seem to drift between this and a state of depression/helplessness when i feel i can't handle the intense anxious feelings any more. I have a feeling my underlying feelings are directly anxiety-related, the depression just being a symptom of my body being unable to constantly live with the anxious feelings. Of course all this is hard to tell when your mind is constantly trying to stop from going under. You tend to question alot of things. But at the moment i'm starting to think i've been wrongly treated for depression for a long time when anxiety is the real problem. This would explain alot why i've continued to struggle. Of course i'm on anti-depressants at the moment... sighhhhhh. Anyway after alot of struggle i should be expecting a phonecall on Thursday, to finally get an appointment with the Psych. team at St. James, who i worked with before. I'll just have to try and stay strong until then i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Headhog

manual_man wrote: »
    But at the moment i'm starting to think i've been wrongly treated for depression for a long time when anxiety is the real problem.

I would say this happens a lot. I think this is the case with me too so I asked to be taken off the antidepressants they just weren't doing anything. It can be a problem for doctors to diagnose though because anxiety often begets depression and v.v. and it can be hard to pinpoint which came first to treat the underlying cause. I spent a lot of time just thinking a lot about when my symptoms first began and came to the realisation that my anxiety/social phobia/ agorophobia etc. etc. made me depressed in the first place. Only took me 12 years to realise this!! Explain how you feel to the doctor/psychiatrist and remember you know best about why you feel the way you do. I have found psychiatrists very quick to make a diagnosis of depression without asking enough questions. I really dislike that standard list of questions they always have in front of them. They have to realise not everything is black and white like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

i can feel the symptoms creeping back. :(

Headhog wrote: »
    But at the moment i'm starting to think i've been wrongly treated for depression for a long time when anxiety is the real problem.

I would say this happens a lot. I think this is the case with me too so I asked to be taken off the antidepressants they just weren't doing anything. It can be a problem for doctors to diagnose though because anxiety often begets depression and v.v. and it can be hard to pinpoint which came first to treat the underlying cause. I spent a lot of time just thinking a lot about when my symptoms first began and came to the realisation that my anxiety/social phobia/ agorophobia etc. etc. made me depressed in the first place. Only took me 12 years to realise this!! Explain how you feel to the doctor/psychiatrist and remember you know best about why you feel the way you do. I have found psychiatrists very quick to make a diagnosis of depression without asking enough questions. I really dislike that standard list of questions they always have in front of them. They have to realise not everything is black and white like that

The 'do you feel like harming yourself' question really kills me. As well as the rate your mood from 1-10 question. You'd swear some of them want to beat a dog that's already down. But alot depends on 'how' they ask the questions - i guess it's kind of a protocol that they have to follow - but what's important as a patient is that you feel they have your best interests at heart, that you feel comfortable talking with them. If you don't feel that, you're with the wrong psychiatrist.

The 'do you feel like harming yourself' question really kills me. As well as the rate your mood from 1-10 question. You'd swear some of them want to beat a dog that's already down. But alot depends on 'how' they ask the questions - i guess it's kind of a protocol that they have to follow - but what's important as a patient is that you feel they have your best interests at heart, that you feel comfortable talking with them. If you don't feel that, you're with the wrong psychiatrist.
    That's what I'm afraid of. My GP understands my condition down to a t and understands how to manage me when I'm in a depressive/anxious episode. He never asked me the set "list of questions" - well not in a questionnaire format, it was more of a chat. Tell me more about... How does that make you feel... - there was no awkward discussions, it all just felt right. Now I've to see a new doctor, I'm worried that I'll find it difficult to open up and then won't get the treatment I need to keep me on the straight and narrow...

A lot of my depression/anxiety is centered around my physical health. It was while I was under investigation for other illnesses that my depression came to light. Obviously there are other underlying issues - past history of abuse, horrible relationship with most of my family & then just other issues... But I got really down about my physical health and everything spiralled from there.

That's what I'm afraid of. My GP understands my condition down to a t and understands how to manage me when I'm in a depressive/anxious episode. He never asked me the set "list of questions" - well not in a questionnaire format, it was more of a chat. Tell me more about... How does that make you feel... - there was no awkward discussions, it all just felt right. Now I've to see a new doctor, I'm worried that I'll find it difficult to open up and then won't get the treatment I need to keep me on the straight and narrow...

A lot of my depression/anxiety is centered around my physical health. It was while I was under investigation for other illnesses that my depression came to light. Obviously there are other underlying issues - past history of abuse, horrible relationship with most of my family & then just other issues... But I got really down about my physical health and everything spiralled from there.

It's ok to be afraid. And it's ok to demand what's right from your psychiatrist. But at the same time we have to be open, which can be painful, but at the end of the day any succesful relationship requires input on both ends. It's definitely a 2-way thing. And both sides have to be committed. Best of luck with your new appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Seeing a new psychiatrist in the clinic tomorrow for my 3 monthly appointment.Have been feeling rotten for the last few months,absolutely hopeless,the worst that I've felt since starting on medication two/three years ago.

Thing is that I'm terrible at actualy admitting to new doctors how bad I'm feeling because I'm afraid I'll come across as an attention seeker or drama queen etc.

Was looking around online and a few sites have recommended making a short list of what your major problems have been and then taking the list to the appointment and just handing it to the doc.Just wondering if anyone has ever done that before?and if it was better then trying to describe face to face how you were feeling?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Seeing a new psychiatrist in the clinic tomorrow for my 3 monthly appointment.Have been feeling rotten for the last few months,absolutely hopeless,the worst that I've felt since starting on medication two/three years ago.

Thing is that I'm terrible at actualy admitting to new doctors how bad I'm feeling because I'm afraid I'll come across as an attention seeker or drama queen etc.

Was looking around online and a few sites have recommended making a short list of what your major problems have been and then taking the list to the appointment and just handing it to the doc.Just wondering if anyone has ever done that before?and if it was better then trying to describe face to face how you were feeling?

Thanks.

I've brought lists to both gp and hospital because i get too agitated and can't speak. It's a good route to use. Worked well for me, hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Try not to worry yourself - the anxiety at the doctor could have been brought on by anxiety about the needle, I often faint when getting blood taken ;)

Thanks.

I know what you mean, I'm not normally like that when getting blood taken. But with my health anxiety, it just sent me into a complete downward spiral. Immediately assuming the worst, then the depression kicked in. Such a vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 want to disappear

Haven't had a good day.

Everyone I had to deal with was in a mood and seemed to want to take it out on me.

I just had to smile back, even though I felt like crying.

Felt so bad went to McD's and practically inhaled a burger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Anyone here with anxiety ever get a weird sensation in the lower part of the skull at the back of the head? Still trying to find out if im suffering from anxiety after 3 months of struggling with off balance. Waiting on a call from the doc tomorrow to see what he thinks. I dont feel anxious or depressed and the off balance disappears when running :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Not a god day for me. Hating my life and can see no way out.

i hate this. Dont see the point in anything anymore. Have nothing to look forward to, pointless

Your gonna beat this ash, your better than it.

phi3 wrote: »
    Not a god day for me. Hating my life and can see no way out.

phi3 I hear you buddy we have to try x

cloud493 wrote: »
    Your gonna beat this ash, your better than it.

im trying,i'll keep trying im fighting x

• Advertisement

There you go, she who dares wins :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement